Remote Control Purchase suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 03-24-2012, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I need help deciding on a nice remote control for my home theater, billiards room, and bar area (entire basement floor). I have narrowed the list down to ANY touchscreen remote control but thats about it. (Seems kinda vague I know). I have been reading a lot about Harmony 1000 and 1100 models but I've seen a LOT of negativity about them. What is the general consensus on them here? Buy it or HELL NO, DONT BUY it Nate? I've also been investigating the MX3000, MX6000i, and the URC TX1000 Medius.

While price is a factor I dont mind spending money for something I really want as long as I deem the item "worth it."
Ex. Some people would say spending $100+ on a remote control is crazy (like the wife and my entire immediate family but they have NO PROBLEM enjoying the things I have. Let me tell you). If the item does what I want it to I will pay what its worth. At the same time if a $200 controller can do basically the same thing a $600 controller does minus a feature or two then its probably not worth $400 more no matter what extra features it has. $50-$100 MORE for worthy/desired features is do-able. So a $150 controller (like the Harmony 1000) would loose to its big brother the 1100 from what I've read so far. If you dont think so, tell me why.

So here we go:

Since I SHOULD put a price barrier on it I will say NO MORE than $400...
NEW OR USED -
I'm open to buying either especially if it comes used from an accredited member of AVS.
IR or RF or both - I have no idea which is better so you guys tell me why one is over the other or that I want both if I do.

Currently I have the following setup/components which to be controlled if it helps your decision/advice at all:

Mitsubishi 73737 3D Rear Projection - my baby until I get a PJ in the theater
40" Hisense F40V87C LCD's (in bar area) -cheap but effective
50" Zenith Z50PV220 Plasma (in billiards room)
Onkyo TX-NR709 - New toy that I LOVE!
Cisco 8742HDC Whole-house DVR (Time Warner Cable)
Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-ray Player
Xbox 360 w/ Kinect
I will also be adding a VCR of some kind and probably a PS3 sometime in the near future

What do you guys think I should get? Whats the best touchscreen remote for the money and why? Compare and contrast away...

Thanks in advance for your opinions, facts, perspectives, and advice...

-Nate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page