I think I am done with Harmony. Looking for alternative. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-28-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So far the only 2 good alternative I found is SQ remote/Blaster or RedEye. I look at Irule but I found the interface quite difficult to program. I would have to spend a significant amount of time programming it. Most of my equipment are in the A/V Cabinet. I am concern on how the Itach IR Blaster work. There is so little information available about the hardware setup and IR range.

This is my list of devices :
Panasonic 55GT30
Denon AVR-1912CI
Panasonic BMPT-210
AppleTV
Cisco 430 STB
X360
Toshiba A1 HD-DVD player.
PS3

Any advice is welcome. I am not ruling out other possibility. Feel free to share with me your knowledge/experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-01-2012, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up a Universal Remote MX-450 a couple of years back and it's been fantastic. Has a large database of devices inside, so no need to program most of my devices. Wasn't too hard to program the one that I did need to manually sort out. It wals very cheap too, though I think I was kinda lucky. Got it on fleabay for about $45.

One of the things I really liked about it was that it was totally independent of any other device. No need to own a computer, have the internet, have itunes, or make any other purchase* to use this device. I am totally over products that tie you in to making extraneous purchases. Even if I already own the pre-reqs, I will refuse to buy that stuff now.

After owning this for a little, I did decide that I wasn't going to get another universal remote without the four colour buttons again. When I upgrade (which will be later this year, after I move OS) I will be purchasing an MX-780. Sadly, I don't think they show up on auction sites very often, so I'll prolly have to pay full retail.

Hope that helps somewhat.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-01-2012, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symtex View Post

So far the only 2 good alternative I found is SQ remote/Blaster or RedEye. I look at Irule but I found the interface quite difficult to program. I would have to spend a significant amount of time programming it. Most of my equipment are in the A/V Cabinet. I am concern on how the Itach IR Blaster work. There is so little information available about the hardware setup and IR range.

This is my list of devices :
Panasonic 55GT30
Denon AVR-1912CI
Panasonic BMPT-210
AppleTV
Cisco 430 STB
X360
Toshiba A1 HD-DVD player.
PS3

Any advice is welcome. I am not ruling out other possibility. Feel free to share with me your knowledge/experience.

If you liked the idea of iRule, but not the amount of work required, look at Roomie. It is much less customizable, but takes much less time to get up and running.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-02-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thanks for the suggestion but I decided to do with RedEye. M impression are located here : http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1402658
post #5 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I decided to go the RedEye route myself. Hope to get it by Friday and start the process. I have a mixed pc/mac environment and their quick replies to my questions has been awesome.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 09:26 PM

I've been using RedEye for a few months now and it's been flawless. It's so easy to manually program if a codeset isn't available and they seem to listen to feedback and update regularly. I can control all of my gear with iPads, iPods, iPhones, Android tablets and laptops. There should be a dedicated RedEye thread here.

"I'm suffering from the dreaded upgrade bug"
post #7 of 7 Old 04-07-2012, 12:21 PM

Have you looked into the Rti pro series? They are kind of a bridge between Rti of old and harmony style wizard based software.
Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page