My first impression with RedEye - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-29-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I decided to acquire RedEye yesterday and this is my first impression.

Pros :
- Nice packaging
- Ir Blaster works pretty well
- Decent amount of customization
- Didn't have too much trouble finding IR Codeset

Cons:
- Not for beginner
- Not taking full advantage of the Ipad (Layout it only half screen)
- Need a local HTTP Server for Custom image/button
- You cannot change Device codeset after it has been define
- Can't set record from the guide only watch now

I had a really rough start with RedEye. I followed the instruction and started to setup devices. So far so good but then something happen, The application crashed while I was setting up an activity. Once I go back to the application, I have a blank activity that I can delete. This was the beginning of my nightmare. The application crashed so many times I was about to throw it out the window. The HTTP interface as slow as hell. I couldn't delete that blank activity.

After an hour of frustation, I reset the box to factory default and decided to set the whole thing through the HTTP Interface. That was a much smoother experience from there. It also much easier to set up your layout with an keyboard and mouse. I have all my activity setup very quickly. All the devices are operating like they should.

If I really want to customize this application, I need to learn LUA programming code. The manual does give an extensive explanation what can be done with it. You do need a local HTTP Server to host custom image/button/xml. I haven't play with that option yet.

Overall, its not a bad product at all. It does need more time then Harmony to set up but once its done it works great. The WIFI to IR respond is very quick. No more pointing the remote to the device in different angle until it works. I like the guide function very much. Once of the best feature. It does need some improvement. I hope they increase the layout size to take advantage of the Ipad. Right now it looks like it half the screen to be compatible with the Iphone. I want to be able to setup an layout for iphone and one for ipad separately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-31-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Great review. I agree with most of your points. Especially regarding the strength of the IR Blaster. I've always been impressed by the range of the RedEye and now that is also has the emitter out it is the best of both worlds.

I am not sure if I agree with your feedback on the iPad layout. I have always found the remote to take up ample space and i prefer the sxtra real estate for the guide. I also use the app on an iPhone, 2 iPod Touches and an Android phone and It has always been a benefit in my home that all devices look alike. My kids just pick up whatever is in reach and they never need help.

As for the customization... I too hope that ThinkFlood makes this easier in future software releases before I need to learn the programming
Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page