Looking for advice on how to solve remote issues related to two Samsungs in same room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-31-2012, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a studio apt and thus I unfortunately have a bed "area" instead of a bedroom.

I have two Samsung TVs, one is a 59" 2011 model, PN59D6500, the other is a Samsung 42" 720P, I think 2010 model - not sure of model no but can easily check it if its relevant.

I attached a rough diagram of the layout. The issue is that when I am lying in bed watching the 42", no matter how I aim the remote it always operates the power of the 59", as you can imagine how frustrating this is when, I am about to fall asleep, shutting off the tv near my bed powers on the bigger tv in my living area which again is in the same room.

Any advice on how to correct this - other than building a wall (lol) would be greatly appreciated.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-31-2012, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Most TV's have discreet ir signals for on and off, but the remotes that come with them only use the ir on/off toggle because they want to use one button for both commands. Harmony remotes, for instance, use the separate on or off commands. Using the separate on and off commands would solve the problem of turning one on when turning the other off.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-31-2012, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpdel View Post

Most TV's have discreet ir signals for on and off, but the remotes that come with them only use the ir on/off toggle because they want to use one button for both commands. Harmony remotes, for instance, use the separate on or off commands. Using the separate on and off commands would solve the problem of turning one on when turning the other off.

Just want to clarify your response. What you are saying is that Samsung TVs have a different IR code for on and off even though their included remotes use one button for it. So once I press power on (on the original remote), the next press will send the off signal? That theory failed my test using two remotes. Or does the single power button send out both on/off codes at once?
post #4 of 14 Old 03-31-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Your samsung remote has power toggles. A universal like harmony or the $15 RCA RCRP05B can send discrete on and off commands. You can send discrete on 20 times in a row and neither TV will turn off. Same story with off. Multiple offs will never turn either TV on. That's why discrete codes exist. This is impossible using the original remote, so of course it will fail since you only have a toggle. Just get a remote like the ones recommended and your problem is solved.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-31-2012, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for responding. Any chance the Sony RM-VLZ620 or Universal Remote Control URC-WR7 can do this?
post #6 of 14 Old 03-31-2012, 03:23 PM

Right. Your remote sends out a signal that will turn a tv off that is on and turn a tv on that is off. The remotes recommended above will send out signals that say turn on or turn off. In other words, there are three signals that can control the on/off state of your tv. One tells the tv only to turn on, one tells the tv only to turn off, and one tells the tv to reverse its on/off state.

If you use the signal that says "only off," it will turn your bedroom tv off without turning the other tv on.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-31-2012, 03:25 PM

I don't know about those remotes.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-31-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

The Sony has both a a TV and Power button that seem to the same thing (toggle power). It is a learning remote and can do macros. Unfortunately I have no way to teach it the discrete codes.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/RMVLZ620.pdf
post #9 of 14 Old 03-31-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you have any old cable , radio shack or one-for-all remotes? Those can send discretes which you can then learn.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-31-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
discrete commands will only fix half the problem. True tat it will not turn one TV on while you turn the other off but it will still send the power on command to both TVs at the same time. So, if you lie down in bed to watch TV you will still be turning the Main Tv on.

There are a few ways to solve the problem completely:
1. Find out if Samsung has any alternate codes available. Some TVs now actually have two sets of codes that you can choose from. I dont thing Sammy does but its worth checking. Cost $0
2. Cover the ir receivers on each tv with a piece of black electric tape with a pin hole in it. this will narrow the ir reception and may eliminate your problem. hopefully it will not make the remote unuseable. Cost $2 for the tape
3. Get an RF remote with two addressable base stations by each TV. Cost $400 plus.

i hope this helps. Good luck.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-31-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

I like the black tape idea B-)

Mjdave...I misread your post...I don't think I have old cable remotes....I think I got rid of them but I can borrow current remote for optimum
post #12 of 14 Old 03-31-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Only certain cable remotes will work. It's safest to ask first. I'll need the model number to tell you for sure.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-01-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

only certain cable remotes will work. It's safest to ask first. I'll need the model number to tell you for sure.

ur2-cbl-cv04 ?
post #14 of 14 Old 04-01-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyc View Post

ur2-cbl-cv04 ?

Sorry, that one won't do it. URC makes some cable remotes, and UEI makes others. Only UEI can send discretes, but yours is a URC. Looks like you'll have to buy the RCA I posted earlier. You can find it almost anywhere. The harmony 200 is another cheap one that might have discrete power commands, but no guarantees.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page