Newbie Questions - Comcast Remote / Yamaha - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 04-03-2012, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been surfing this forum today trying to figure out if I can program my Comcast DVR remote to turn my new Yamaha RX-V471 off and on with one button or not. From what I've read it appears that it will take 2 buttons to do this (the All On button will not turn it on and off). Is this correct?

Also, is there a way to setup my receiver that everytime I turn it on it comes on for HDMI 2 (basically so that my tv comes on)? Right now it appears to be defaulting to AV4.

Thanks,

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-03-2012, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Yes, the Comcast remote can turn toggle power on and off with one button. The following procedure will work with either setup code 30176 or 31176 (AUX 0176 or 1176 if you have a grey OK/Select button).

You're going to reassign the Power button -- not the red AllOn button. The AllOn button actually executes a macro, sending the Power button codes for each of the device modes.

1) Press and hold Setup until 2 blinks
2) enter 994 (should see two blinks)
3) Tap Setup
4) Enter 00087
5) Tap Power (not AllOn)
The remote should blink twice.

Check that this works by pressing the Power button while in AUX mode. Then you can check that AllOn also works.

I don't know how to set up the receiver to come up in HDMI2. Of course it has a discrete IR code for HDMI2, but the Comcast remote isn't capable of sending that
post #3 of 25 Old 04-04-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info 3FG. I will give this a shot when I get home this evening. Let me make sure I understand. Before I do the 5 steps, do I need to press the AUX button? I'm not real clear on where the 30176 and 31176 codes come into play as it doesn't appear from your post that I need to enter them. I apologize if I am missing something obvious. I'm not very literate when it comes to all this A/V stuff.

Let me tell you what I have done so far. My Comcast remote is silver with the red OK/select button. I found the 30176 and 31176 codes in the little manual that came with the remote. So here's what I've tried with the receiver turned on.

1) Press AUX button and it blinks
2) Press and hold SETUP until it blinks twice
3) Enter the code (have tried both 30176 ad 31176). I think it blinks twice after you enter the code, but I can't really remember.
4) Press the power button

Regardless of which code I use, the Comcast remote will not turn off the receiver with the power button. Oddly enough, the AllOn button will turn the receiver off, along with the tv and cable box. It just doesn't turn it on. I have programmed the TV button with the appropriate code and can turn it off and on with the power button, so I think I am entering the code correctly in attempting to program the AUX button.
post #4 of 25 Old 04-04-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 352
The steps you took so far assigned the right audio code. You still have to perform 3FG's steps to fix the power command.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 25 Old 04-04-2012, 11:57 AM

Yes, before doing the 5 steps, make sure that you have pressed AUX so that the remote is in AUX mode.
post #6 of 25 Old 04-04-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Ok guys with only the receiver on I did the 5 steps (pressing AUX before I started) and nothing happens when I press the Power button. I'm getting the 2 blinks where the 5 steps indicate. I even tried it with the tv and the cable box turned on and I get nothing.

What should I try next?

Thanks,

Chris
post #7 of 25 Old 04-04-2012, 05:28 PM

Before doing the 5 steps (we usually call that keymove), I think you said that the receiver would shut off but not turn on. Has that behavior changed? I'm trying to understand if the keymove "took". If the receiver no longer turns off, that would suggest that I need to recheck if 00087 if the correct EFC.

Also, you can clear the keymove by:
1) Tap AUX
2) Press and hold Setup until 2 blinks
3) Enter 994 (should see two blinks)
4) Tap Power
5) Tap Power again
The remote should blink twice.

That should allow the remote to turn off the receiver like it used to.
post #8 of 25 Old 04-04-2012, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

3FG,

Yes, the receiver still turns off when I press the AllOn button. It turns off the tv, cable box, and receiver. When I press the AllOn button again, it only turns on the tv and the cable box. I have to use the receiver's remote to turn it on.

I really appreciate your help on this.

Chris
post #9 of 25 Old 04-04-2012, 05:56 PM

I wasn't clear enough. Does the receiver shut off when you press the Power button? And if it does turn off, does it turn on when you press it again?

If the answer to both questions is no, please try the keymove (the 5 steps) again. Make sure that you have pressed AUX before doing the keymove.
post #10 of 25 Old 04-04-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

3FG,

No, it doesn't turn off or on when I press the AUX button. Just to be clear, I press the AUX button and the press the power button and nothing happens. Tried the keymove again, same results.

I'm opening to trying whatever you think might help.

Chris
post #11 of 25 Old 04-04-2012, 07:01 PM

I've lost track of what has been done. If the receiver will turn off when you press AllOn, it should also turn off when you press the power button, because AllOn runs a macro that invokes the Power button.

If it no longer will turn off using either Power or AllOn, let's temporarily revert to the original configuration by clearing the keymove as described in post #7. Then make sure that the receiver will turn off with both buttons.

I also want you to use a test procedure. In AUX mode and with receiver power on, tap Setup (don't hold it) and enter 00247 while pointing the remote at the receiver. The volume should go up. If that works, tap Setup and enter 00087. The power should toggle.
post #12 of 25 Old 04-05-2012, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

3FG,

Sorry I missed your last post. I stayed online last night until 10:30pm ET (maybe it's a time zone thing or something). Anyway, AllOn is turning the receiver off at this time. I will clear the keymoves tonight and try the volume thing. Should be able to do this sometime around 8:30pm ET.

Again, thank you very much for your help and your persistence. You are the kind of person that really makes forums like this invaluable to people like me.

Chris
post #13 of 25 Old 04-05-2012, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

3FG,

Tried the last thing you suggested with no success. After doing it, the AllOn would no longer turn the receiver off like it used to so I went back through the previous steps and now the AllOn will turn the receiver off, but in no way can I get the remote to turn the receiver on with either the AllOn or by pressing AUX and then the power button.

I think I am getting all the correct blinks. Where you say tap a button, I depress it quickly (don't hold it down).

Any other suggestions?

THanks,

Chris
post #14 of 25 Old 04-05-2012, 02:53 PM

I want to help, but I need a better description of what you're doing. For example, "previous steps" doesn't tell me what you did. Which post are you referring to?

To be frank, tapping AUX, then tapping setup followed by entering 00247 won't affect the programming of the remote, but it will (for sure) cause a Yamaha receiver to increase its volume. It sends exactly the same signal as tapping volume button, assuming you're using setup code 30176.
post #15 of 25 Old 04-05-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

3FG,

Just tried the 00247 thing and now the remote will adjust the volume. I have no idea what I did different, but I can adjust the volume now. The power button still does nothing. The AllOn button will cut the receiver off. We are making progress.

I don't know if this is acceptable or not, but would you consider me giving you a call? If so, you can PM me your number or I can give you mine.

Thanks,

Chris
post #16 of 25 Old 04-05-2012, 06:21 PM

Once you can routinely adjust volume with 00247, try 00087 to toggle power.
post #17 of 25 Old 04-05-2012, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

3FG,

There's got to be a sequence of things or something that I am not doing correctly. I tried doing the 00087 you suggested last. It didn't work. So then I tried setting the volume control again (the 00247 thing) to see if I could do it routinely. Now, the volume doesn't work when in AUX mode, but the volume does work when in Cable or TV mode. The volume working in Cable or TV mode is awesome. I was going to try to get that to work after I got the on/off thing working.

When I try these things, I do have the receiver, tv, and cable box on. Not sure if having all of these on is ok or not.

Maybe a little more knowledge is necessary on my part. When I attempt the codes and various button taps, are we programming the remote or are we trying to send a signal to the receiver at the time I press the buttons and enter the numbers? I seem to be able to configure the TV button with no problem. I configured my old Sony STR-DE695 receiver with no problems. What is it that is actually occuring when I try the various things you have suggested.

Again, very appreciative of your time and effort.

Thanks,

Chris
post #18 of 25 Old 04-05-2012, 08:47 PM

A keymove (994 sequence) is intended to program a single button on a single device mode to send a particular IR signal. Conversely, tapping setup followed by the 5 digit EFC (e.g. 00247) doesn't program anything- it just causes the remote to send that signal, but nothing is remembered in the remote.

You seem to be surprised that the receiver volume can be controlled while in TV or Cable mode. That suggests to me that you haven't read the instructions for the remote. That feature is called volume punch through. Lots of universal remotes can do VPT. I recommend that you look at some of the 994 commands to get a better idea of the possibilities. Look especially at 973, 993, 994, and 995. Also see the end of the Wiki entry for sending an EFC code direct from the remote.

Some of the symptoms you're seeing are not consistent with each other. The AllOn button only sends the IR signals that have been programmed to the Power button of each device mode. As you can see from the LEDs, AllOn sends Cable Power first, waits 3/4 second, sends TV power, waits, and then sends AUX power. If AllOn can turn off the receiver, AUX Power should also turn off the receiver, because AllOn is internally simulating a button press of Power.

Similarly, if the remote can affect the receiver volume in TV or cable mode, it should also affect it in AUX mode.

One question: How do you tell that the receiver volume has changed? Is that displayed on the receiver, or are you just judging from the sound? If the latter, perhaps some other component is changing its volume, and the receiver is reflecting that volume change. It may make sense to disconnect the cables which connect the receiver to the TV, BluRay, or Cable.
post #19 of 25 Old 04-09-2012, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

3FG,

Sorry for the downtime. I was out of town for Easter.

I can repeatly disable and enable the volume (00247) so I think I've got that part down. When I try the 00087 to get the power to turn off when in AUX mode, it just doesn't work. The remote will turn the receiver off when I press AllOn, but it will not turn it back on. I understand what you are saying about the AllOn executing a macro that sends the codes associated with the power button for the cable, tv, and aux modes. It just want turn the receiver on.

You asked how I know the volume is changing. I can hear it change and I can see the volume numbers changing on the receiver.

I also looked at the 994 command link and that helps clear things up some.

Thanks,

Chris
post #20 of 25 Old 04-09-2012, 07:59 PM

I owe you a big apology; I misread the Yamaha documentation. For the RC-V471, Power toggle uses device number 126, but the setup code 30176 actually sends device 122. Unfortunately the Comcast remote isn't capable of sending device 126, regardless of the EFC. I think this means that you can't get a power toggle command from your Comcast remote, unless you program it with a JP1 cable.

There is a good chance that your receiver will turn on in response to EFC 00246, and turn off using 00250. Actually the documentation says it will toggle sleep in response to 00246, and says nothing about 00250, but 30176 sends 00250 as the Power signal. I don't know what "sleep" means, but it is worth testing 00246 to see what it does do.
post #21 of 25 Old 04-10-2012, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

3FG,

No apologies necessary. Doing stuff like this online can be difficult. Right now as it stands, the AllOn button will turn the power off and I am able to control the sound with the Comcast remote (everything I wanted except power on). I cannot turn the power on or off when in AUX mode and pressing the power button.

I will try the 00246 code and let you know how it goes. If this doesn't work, I think the Yamaha goes back and I will get the Sony I originally went to buy. I like the features of the Yamaha, but having to deal with 2 remotes is a pain. My Sony that died allowed me to use just the one remote and for my audio standards, the sound from the Sony was more than acceptable.

Thanks again for all of your help so far. I'm hopeful that the 00246 code will work.

Chris
post #22 of 25 Old 04-10-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

3FG,

I tried the 00246 and it appears to change the receiver from HDMI2 to Audio mode. I don't think this receiver is going to be the one for me. It's going back this weekend. Hopefully, I can still get the Sony STR-DH820 for the same price and it will be as easy to make work with my Comcast remote as my old Sony.

Thank you very much for your time and persistence in helping me work with this.

Chris
post #23 of 25 Old 04-18-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Hey 3FG,

I replaced the Yamaha with a Sony STR-DH820. I've tried setting up AUX mode with the Sony A/V Receiver codes (3 different ones) in the Comcast manual, but when in AUX mode, the power button will not turn the receiver off or on. As with the Yamaha the AllOn button will turn the Sony off, but it will not turn it on.

Before I get into trying the other things I did with the Yamaha, does this model Sony have the power toggle function sending the codes that are compatible with my Comcast remote? The remote is the silver with red OK button and works my cable dvr box.

Thanks,

Chris
post #24 of 25 Old 04-19-2012, 08:27 PM

I think it is getting close to the time to get a replacement remote from Comcast. However, let's try a reset. This won't remove any of your setup codes or Comcast installed upgrades, but will remove any keymoves and macros.
1) Press Setup until 2 blinks
2) Enter 980
The remote should blink 4 times.

I don't know the exact codes for the STR-DH820, but Sony is very careful to always use the same function numbers. although the device numbers can vary. Tell us which setup codes you've tried. I can check to see if these setup codes send the normal toggle signal.

One other thing. For testing, disconnect all HDMI cables. There's a small chance that the CEC capability is messing things up.
post #25 of 25 Old 04-21-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

3FG,

I did the reset and now the remote is working the way I expect it too. In AUX mode, the power button turns the receiver off and on. The AllOn button turns everything (cable box, tv, & receiver) off and on. The volume and the mute button work.

I didn't expect the reset to to make it start working and I didn't do anything else so I'm not really sure what caused it to start working. Main thing is that it is working for now.

Thanks again for all your help. I really do appreciate it.

Chris
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page