Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-04-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the nob question. I have the following set up in our theater:

TV <----> cat5 <---> rack/itach receiver.

I want to control the TV with an IR emitter. How exactly do I do this? Specifically, how to I connect the emitter to the cat5 and at the other end make the connection between cat5 to a 3.5 miniplug for the itach.

And how long can my cable run be?

Thanks for all the helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-04-2012, 09:12 PM
DGF

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Not sure if I'm misunderstanding your setup:

If your TV is controllable via IP (which is sort of implied by your post) then you don't need the iTach - just connect it to your LAN and Roomie will find it.

On the other hand, if you intend to use the CAT5 cable solely as a conduit to provide electrical connectivity, you'll need to get the soldering iron out. The good news is that the low voltage used by the emitters can easily be routed long distances over a CAT5 wire. As you mentioned, emitters only use a mono 3.5mm jack and should be pretty easy to solder or splice onto the CAT5 wires. I'd be tempted to use several pairs of the CAT5 strands to extend each of the two wires used by the emitter.

You could take an emitter terminated with a 3.5mm jack, cut it into two - there'll be a pair of wires connecting the jack and emitter - strip and solder each of the ends. Pick four wires from the CAT5 cable (assuming you have 4 pairs in the CAT5 cable) for each emitter wire to insert the CAT5 section between the two ends. The toughest part is making sure that you keep track of which CAT5 wires are paired together.

Not sure if any of this makes sense (or helps) - but hopefully it's a start!

Dave

EDIT: I just replied, but thought I should do a quick search - there are several cheap CAT5 adapters (with screw connectors) available that may do what you need without soldering:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-...prod92163.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_190RJ45...er.html?tp=214

http://www.amazon.com/Wired-Home-WHI...3598903&sr=1-2
post #3 of 3 Old 04-05-2012, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I managed to do this without soldering. I'm sure the connections aren't quite as strong, but there is no pressure on cables at either end.

I took a 6ft emitter that came with my itach. Cut it in half, stripped the wires and spliced either end to my cat6 cable that runs from my basement to the family room TV. I used electrical tape.

I first tried a keystone jack but for the receiving end for a clean look, but that didn't work (could have been user error).

Works perfectly for me.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Cat5 Rack 1u

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page