Harmony and Dish Hopper/Joey -- IR Remote Issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-09-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've googled and found at least a few people with the same issue, but no workarounds yet. I'm a brand new DISH customer who has been looking forward to the Hopper and Joey system ever since it was announced back in January. I have now gotten it installed with the intent of leaving DirecTV and becoming a DISH customer. Unfortunately, I'm running into what I consider a HUGE bug in the design of these systems.

I have both the Hopper and the Joey in a wiring closet in another room of my house and the signals get distributed from this closet to my TVs in other rooms. I use universal IR remotes (Logitech Harmony) and an IR Distribution system to allow me to control the devices in the wiring closet from any room in the house. Unfortunately, due to the complexity of my system, using the universal capabilities on the Dish provided remote is not an option due to limited/non-existent support.

Unfortunately, in a large design oversight, the Hopper and Joey share the same IR codes for control. What this means is that when I press Menu for the Hopper, the Joey also brings up the menu. When I try to watch a show in one room, the other room also randomly gets the same signals and so on. There is no independent IR control of these devices....

The DirecTV systems I came from have the ability to use discrete IR Remote codes for exactly this scenario so that controlling one box doesn't try and control both boxes (or more). Based on the digging I did with Google, even the older VIP 922 and even VIP 722 have this same ability, yet Dish tech support says this ability does not exist on the Hopper and Joey's yet nor could they give any input on timelines for when this might get added.

At this point, the system is unusable as a multi-box, whole home DVR. I'd prefer to keep the system and wait for the kinks to get worked out, but with no information on timeframe for the fixes nor workarounds, I'm not sure what else to do.

Have others run into this same scenario and tracked down a fix? Anyone know when this blatant oversight will be fixed? Any ideas at all would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-11-2012, 05:10 PM

The Hopper/Joey are designed to work using 2-way UHF remotes. IR remotes can only be assigned to address 1 and this is not likely to change in the future. I am sorry that it will not work with the IR remote system you have.

Mary Catherine Brady
DISH Internet Response Team
Tues-Sat 2:45pm-11:15pm (MST)
post #3 of 3 Old 07-16-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryB@DISH View Post

The Hopper/Joey are designed to work using 2-way UHF remotes. IR remotes can only be assigned to address 1 and this is not likely to change in the future. I am sorry that it will not work with the IR remote system you have.

I also have a Harmony One, which is EASILY one of, if not THE most popular universal remote on the market. I've been with Dish for over 5 years now and after also having cable and DirecTV, I am a HUGE fan of Dish and would never have any other service... especially now with the Hopper and Joey combo in my home.

But, in my opinion, this is a HUGE design FLAW. And, if Dish doesn't plan to address this issue it is a SERIOUS, SERIOUS disappointment. And, it's especially disappointing considering how well designed and thought out the rest of the Hopper/Joey components were made.

Having a couple of discreet IR code options would be a very small consideration and can EASILY be done by Dish. However, I believe Dish would rather FORCE their customers to use the Dish branded remotes rather than the most popular universal remote product on the market. And, while I applaud Dish Network for making a much easier way to program their remotes for other products, it still severely inconveniences many of their loyal customers. It is especially confusing since they were thoughtful enough to make the Hopper/Joeys IR capable in the first place... but yet are too lazy and/or greedy to slap a few discrete IR codes...

I have two televisions in my living room... 55 inch on the stand with a 47 inch mounted on the wall above it. One of the most exciting things about the Hopper and Joey system for a consumer like myself was how great it would work for this setup. But, now I'm once again forced into having 4 remotes to accomplish FEWER tasks than the ONE logitech remote did so well.

With all of the GREAT things Dish did with their new products, this is a big black eye for the company in my opinion.
Reply Remote Control Area