Can't Reprogram Charter OCAP-4 ON DEMAND - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-09-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a new Charter OCAP-4 remote for an HD8300 STB. After following the directions in the manual and posted elsewhere, I have not been able to clear and reprogram the ON DEMAND button macro using the 995 sequence.

Does anyone know if it's possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-11-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 379
If it's a new model, it may use device specific macros, which is 978 but the same steps as 995. Just pick CBL mode before you start. Give that a try and let us know how it goes.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-12-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Did not work. Doesn't even flash CBL twice.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-12-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 379
The Charter OCAP-4 (C4000 or S4000) should work with 995. Maybe they've changed the design. In the battery bay, is there a 6-pin connector, and is JP1 something printed nearby, or does it say JP1.4 or JP2?

What are the steps you are taking exactly and how does it respond?
post #5 of 7 Old 04-14-2012, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

There are three pairs of jumpers or six pins labeled JP2.

When I attempt to clear and reprogram the ON DEMAND button with 995, the lights blink as the should, but it still issue the channel 999 command. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I don't think so.

I sent an email to URC support, but they don't bother to answer.

Thanks.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-14-2012, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have an Atlas 1056B03 remote also labeled JP2 at the 6 pin connector. On that remote OnDemand is a so-called multimacro key. Using 995, the remote can be programmed with macro A via: Setup until 2 blinks, 995, OnDemand, , Setup until 2 blinks. The same series of commands will record macro B, etc. In normal operation, pressing OnDemand the first time will issue macro A. The next press of OnDemand will issue macro B. I don't know how many macros or how many total button presses are permitted.

Here's where we have to be careful. The normal instructions for clearing a macro are: Setup until 2 blinks, 995, BoundButton, BoundButton, Setup until 2 blinks. The term BoundButton means the button that the macro is assigned to. However, when the BoundButton is a multimacro button, e.g. OnDemand, pressing it twice doesn't clear the macro. Instead, if macro A has already been assigned, pressing OnDemand twice in a 995 sequence simply adds macro B, where macro B is the single button press OnDemand.

Instead, to clear a multimacro button, do Setup until 2 blinks, 995, OnDemand, Setup until 2 blinks. The key is to only press OnDemand once.

I have a JP1/2 interface cable, and I have verified the above statements by looking at the flash memory of the remote using RemoteMaster. Of course, the C4000 may behave differently. I like to test macros by programming e.g. TV, up arrow, Audio, down arrow, DVD, left arrow, etc. Then I can see the various Device LEDs flash as the macro runs. It is important to check beforehand that each device has a defined action for the arrow buttons-- otherwise the LED won't flash. Avoid testing with number buttons, Vol, Channel, and transport buttons because these are frequently routed to other devices. For example, a press of Vol+/- will (on a stock remote) blink TV even if the remote is in DVD or Cable mode. Most cable remotes send Ch+/-, the number buttons, etc. to the Cable device.

BTW, on the 1056B03, the two buttons flanking the OnDemand button are also multimacro buttons. I believe that all other buttons (excepting device, Power, and Setup) are ordinary macro buttons.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-19-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3FingeredGlove View Post

Instead, to clear a multimacro button, do Setup until 2 blinks, 995, OnDemand, Setup until 2 blinks. The key is to only press OnDemand once.

I programmed exactly as you instructed. Still changes to ON DEMAND 999.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page