Remote lighting - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-21-2012, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am wanting to start controlling my lighting with iRule. I was looking in to Insteon devices and was wondering what to start with?

Assuming I have all the switches replaced with the Insteon switches - can I achive control of my lights through iRule using just a 2412N controler? Or do I need an ISY994i/IR PRO? And, if I need the ISY, do I need the Dual Band PLM?

I'm not looking for light show and don't plan on having but maybe 20 devices to control - at least in this current home. I don't mind paying for something I need, but if the more expensive ISY is not going to make a difference when interfacing with iRule, I'd just assume to get just the 2412N and spend my money on more switches, etc...

Thanks!
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-30-2012, 01:08 PM

Liked: 13
Sorry I can't help you out, but I'm interested in this exact same topic so I am subscribing.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-03-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Darn it, this is exactly what I'd like to know the answer to. INSTEON's documentation leaves mental gaps in my head, leaving me wondering if I'm actually ordering the right equipment.

I'm also subscribing. :-)
post #4 of 10 Old 05-03-2012, 09:04 PM
DGF

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Just a suggestion, but maybe mentioning iRule and/or Insteon in the title might increase the probablility of an informed response?
post #5 of 10 Old 05-04-2012, 09:44 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post

Just a suggestion, but maybe mentioning iRule and/or Insteon in the title might increase the probablility of an informed response?

Here's another 'me too' post... Although I've tipped my toe into the INSTEON waters before ... To the tune of ... Gotta be over a grand if you add in the ISY and every piece of INSTEON hardware died slowly over a few years and the last bit of it was thrown in the garbage when we sold the house.

Now I'm getting that HA itch once again but am so gun shy due to the INSTEON garbage I'm really not sure what to do. Are we really forced into spending $100+ per light switch if we want a system that is gonna 'just work' ?
post #6 of 10 Old 05-04-2012, 09:07 PM

post #7 of 10 Old 05-04-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post

Duh! I should have thought of that!!! Thanks. I've edited the title. Hopefully we can get some good info now!

post #8 of 10 Old 05-05-2012, 09:02 AM

Liked: 11
I just finished integrating my older Leviton Decora Home Control X10 type lighting control with my iRule. No problems. I can now control my entire home's lighting from my remote.

The DHC system uses a controler that has a RS-232 port for external inputs and iRule interfaces with the controler just like any other 232 device.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-21-2012, 12:45 PM

I built my home theater using Insteon controls. I have four overhead lights controlled by two dimmers set up as 3-way, a wall sconce on a dimmer and a stair light controlled with two switches set up as 3-way. I control the whole thing with a programmable remote (Pronto TSU9400) and an Insteon IRLink which converts IR commands to Insteon. That is theoretically all you need - dimmers and the IRLink. You can program the whole thing manually by pressing the programming buttons on each device.

That said, it was difficult enough trying to program the whole thing that I added a Power Line Modem (PLM) and an ISY 99i (this was before the 99i was available with an IR input). This makes it much, much easier to set up the scenes and link the dimmers. With the new IR version of the 99i you would not need the IRLink. One advantage of the 99i controller is you can save you configuration and restore it if you need to replace a device.

I have scenes set up for movie watching (stair light off; main dimmer and wall sconce dim to 16% over 9 seconds) and movie over (main and sconce up to 97% over 6 sec). My system power off macro turns on the stair light since that means I am done watching stuff and am going downstairs (the theater is on the top floor).

So my warning is that programming Insteon links without some type of software is a lot of work. However you do not need the stand alone 99i controller if all you want to do is program the system. There are several software products that let you program Insteon with a USB or Serial PLM but they will not be able to control the system if you turn off the computer. This is not big deal if all you want to do is dim the lights since the IR links and scenes are stored in NV memory and continue to function without a controller. But I also have my 99i set to do random light actions so it looks like someone is always home.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-21-2012, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

We are waiting to hear if our offer on the new house is accepted. I have enough insteon items to get started, but don't see the point of installing right away if I'm about to move. I'll keep everyone updated on the install of the setup *IF* people are interested.

??

Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page