IR repeater directly to serial (LIRC) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-24-2012, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a buffalo IR 100 repeater in my theater. I'm getting ready to add an HTPC and I'm trying to figure out how to connect it to the IR system.

Everything I've found so far assumes a flasher is outputting to a receiver connected to the device which converts the IR to a serial signal that control software can process.

Since the HTPC doesn't have an IR receiver, I'm thinking that I should be able to wire directly from one of the flasher outputs to the serial port. I'm just not sure how to do that.

Apologies if this has been asked and answered a million times. Haven't had any luck Googling it but I don't know the magic keywords.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-24-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 321
How do you use LIRC without IR?

I suspect IR to serial could get complicated. I can tell you the frequency of most consumer IR is around 38kHz. I think the forward voltage is around 1.5V. You might get by connecting one lead to the RX pin and writing some code. But you may also need some pull down / pull up or protective circuitry. I think there are some designs for consumer IR circuits on the JP1 site, like for the IR widget which can give you some more insight.

Why not just get a cheap MCE IR receiver? Many are under $10. I've used THIS one with great success. I'm pretty certain it works on Linux too. Just put the included away after learning all the commands from it. Better yet, control your HTPC with an iOS or Android device.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page