Too many remotes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-24-2012, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am quickly realising that i have got far too many remotes and its about to get worser. I want to get a couple component/AV selectors, you know the ones for about $70 that come with those crappy little credit card remotes that usually have a power button and a couple buttons to select your input. I dont really want to have to deal with these remotes. Can i get a remote that can be programmed or learned to do the basica functions of these credit card remotes as well as my other dvd players, recorders, TV etc?

I am thinking about this if it will do the job
(harmony 900)
http://www.logitech.com/en-au/remote...s/devices/5874

I have never used a all in one remote and instead have to deal with about 10 remotes.

Are these harmony remotes pretty reliable or do they forever have issues that you have jump on forums and try and sort out all the time? Would it work to turn on several AV selectors and be able to select from one of the input devices?

A lot of these switches are no name brands made in china or taiwan eg

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...116&sku=40324#

so i am wondering if they would even appear on the Logitech data base? do they need to be? can you just point the 2 remotes together and the logiteck will learn the 2 or 3 functions from the cheap credit card remotes?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-25-2012, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 178
As long as the switchers have IR and not just RF then you can simply learn the codes if they are not already in an IR database.

If you are new to universal remotes then maybe read the FAQ sticky.

post #3 of 10 Old 04-25-2012, 08:35 AM

Liked: 12
I use the Harmony One and it works exactly as it is supposed to. If you have issues, you contact them and they fix it on their end.

Rotel 1072 > VAC CLA 1 MKII > Counterpoint NPS-400 > Clearfield Continental Speakers via Synsergistic Research Cabling
post #4 of 10 Old 04-25-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Just be aware the 900 is RF (do you need RF?) but can't do macros. The One (One+ in your area) is IR only, but can do macros if you use the old 7.7 software instead of myharmony.com. Logitech charges for support after 90 days, so I wouldn't count on them fixing every issue for free.

They are reliable at first, but will wear out in a few years. URC is generally more reliable in terms of hardware.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 Old 04-26-2012, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
Yes i am new to these remotes. I knew the 900 did RF but i also though it did RF.
I would imagine the remotes that come with theose universal component or composite selector switches would be IR. Pretty sure of that.

Dont know what macros are.

How do the Harmonys wear out? Just the buttons writing wears off? It took about 8 years for the writing to wear off my JVC VCR but that was from heavy use and not a lot of care.

What are URC? is that another brand?

I had logitech help me with a bluetooth mouse once. The software would not download so they sent me a direct link so i know their CS is pretty good.

For a $400 remote or whatever they are i would expect them to be a good product.

If the 900 can do IR then i will get that. As far as i know all my DVD players, recorders, TV's etc are all IR and not RF so i would need IR capability for sure. I was just worried about those no name AV switces no being on the Logitech database.

Thanks
post #6 of 10 Old 04-26-2012, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone82 View Post

Yes i am new to these remotes. I knew the 900 did RF but i also though it did RF.
I would imagine the remotes that come with theose universal component or composite selector switches would be IR. Pretty sure of that.

Dont know what macros are.

How do the Harmonys wear out? Just the buttons writing wears off? It took about 8 years for the writing to wear off my JVC VCR but that was from heavy use and not a lot of care.

What are URC? is that another brand?

I had logitech help me with a bluetooth mouse once. The software would not download so they sent me a direct link so i know their CS is pretty good.

For a $400 remote or whatever they are i would expect them to be a good product.

If the 900 can do IR then i will get that. As far as i know all my DVD players, recorders, TV's etc are all IR and not RF so i would need IR capability for sure. I was just worried about those no name AV switces no being on the Logitech database.

Thanks

The 900 does IR like any other remote and can also use RF to communicate with its IR Blaster for control of hidden/out-of-sight devices. RF universal remote do not and can not use RF to control RF devices, only their IR base station.

Harmony remotes wear out because Logitech puts features above build quality. During the time I have had my MX-980 I had went through two or three Harmony 890s. Of course other's mileage may vary.

post #7 of 10 Old 04-26-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

When they wear out, the buttons stop working. So premature wear is fatal, not cosmetic. Having a $400 doorstop after a few years of normal use is unpleasant to say the least. URC is another brand that is more advanced and more reliable than harmony.

RF is expensive. If you have no use for it, you are wasting a lot of money on a 900, since RF is about the only advantage it has over a One, which is half the cost.

A macro is a string a commands on one button. (Logitech calls it a sequence) For example if it normally takes 5 commands to navigate the menus on your device to toggle captions, you can make that whole sequence one button press (kind of like speed dial on a phone). Nearly all universal remotes have that capability except the 900 and newer harmony models.

I personally would never own a universal remote that couldn't do such a simple thing. Others couldn't care less and enjoy memorizing sequences and pressing lots of buttons for simple repetitive tasks, even after paying hundreds for a tool that's supposed to do that for you.

Like any purchase, you should evaluate your needs and budget and buy what meets your requirements. Don't pay for features you don't understand or will never use. And also consider quality and longevity.

post #8 of 10 Old 04-26-2012, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hmm I'm intrigued by this URC remote, but the programming seems daunting. Does this still allow "activities" so that I can actually have buttons controlling different devices while in the "tv" mode, for example?
post #9 of 10 Old 04-26-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Of course it does. My $5 universal remote does as well. Logitech has somehow brainwashed the public into thinking only their remotes can do "activities". Any universal remote from $5 to $2500 that does macros is doing "activities". Most decent universals allow you to map any function from any device to any key you like, especially a real universal remote like URC. Granted, the model you picked isn't programmable from a PC, which can make things a little more tedious to set up. A higher end model is just as easy as harmony, considering all the hoops to have to jump through to set up a harmony properly.

But you need to get out of the device mode mindset you may be familiar with on simpler remotes. With a more advanced remote, you'd rarely use TV mode, you'd use Watch TV mode, where the proper power and input states are set at the beginning and the transport/menu/number/nav keys are mapped to your cable/sat box, and the vol/mute keys are mapped to your TV or AVR. Cheap remotes can do this as well, but they call it a macro instead of an activity.

FYI, the R50 is essentially identical to the newer R40 and only a third of the price.

post #10 of 10 Old 04-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

Hmm I'm intrigued by this URC remote, but the programming seems daunting. Does this still allow "activities" so that I can actually have buttons controlling different devices while in the "tv" mode, for example?

I got this a few months ago. Very easy to program. You can put buttons from one device in another devices screen.
It does not track whether something has been turned on or not, that can cause some difficulty with macros.
I found that the pre-installed codes got me most of the way, it's very easy to program from the original remote.
Much better build quality than the Harmony IMO.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page