Win7 WMC remote control I am like so confussed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-26-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm like confussed on the remote control situation w/ windows 7 WMC.

I believe I must have a IR blaster.

?1.should I purchase a el cheapo remote w/ IR just to obtain the IR?

?2. I have sean a few el cheapo's on the Ebay that appear to have a mouse pointer is this a gimmick or doe's the mouse actualley work?

?3. if mouse is in fact a gimmick what all functions can I expect from a WMC remote?

?4.I'm planning a Hauppage 2250 tv tuner card for my HTPC can I expect the remote to control TV tuner, WMC and XBMC (I expect to be able to toggle back and forth to XBMC) I see a navigation up down right left however I'm thinking this is'nt a mouse?

?5.I have a Acer computer so how will I know absolutely sure that the remote will be compatable w/ PC?

?6. Lastly I have a Harmory700 that I would prefer to use can this be programed to be a WMC remote and should I just get both the remote w/ IR for learning purposes?

edit I also have a RCA universal remote if learning to the harmony is nessary.

Here's what I'm currently concidering.
Thanks STB

By stevethebrain at 2012-04-26

By stevethebrain at 2012-04-26

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-26-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 185
You need a WMC IR receiver. You can get a HP WMC IR Receiver on eBay for less than $15 shipped. Looking at your bottom picture the USB IR receiver is on the right.

The IR receiver doesn't care what brand your computer is, Acer is just a badge put on the case. It's not like Acer makes motherboards, processors, RAM, hard drives...

To program your Harmony 700 to control WMC using a WMC IR receiver follow this guide http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmon...ur/td-p/374844

Also, mouse mode on remotes is usually crappy. It isn't something to rely upon. If you need mouse control then just get a wireless mouse or a better front-end to your HTPC.

post #3 of 8 Old 04-26-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Or for $15, you can get http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00224...5478999&sr=8-1
Which you can add to your H700. It also has mouse control.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-26-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

The HP has a blaster if that is important to you. I think it actually has two blaster ports.

post #5 of 8 Old 04-27-2012, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post

Or for $15, you can get http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00224...5478999&sr=8-1
Which you can add to your H700. It also has mouse control.

Hello tvuong do you have this remote?

what doe's it mean you can add to your H700 are you referring to learning, I've read that it's kindof involved rectifieing the lag response time when learning from such a remote?

How do I quote a section of a post instead of the whole quote?

Thanks STB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

The HP has a blaster if that is important to you. I think it actually has two blaster ports.

Hello Bryan looks like this mite be the most senseable choice.

I understand the function of the IR reciever to read the sent signal from the remote.
what is the second cables function it appears to have a line in connection and a small reciever?

Thanks STB

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-HP-O...21879693653687

the HP looks like a quaility IR blaster compared to the others, curious why it is so big maybe it has a wider angle.

Bryan the link from LT is very interesting are you using all these programed key strokes w/ you'r Harmony?

it appears the Harmony can function as a mouse w/ navagation volume and channel keys how crappy do'es the Harmony mouse function?

Bryan I read some remotes come w/ a remote and a reciever is a blaster more powerfull (distance and angle) compared to just a reciever?

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #6 of 8 Old 04-27-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bryan are you there.

post #7 of 8 Old 04-28-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post

what doe's it mean you can add to your H700 are you referring to learning, I've read that it's kindof involved rectifieing the lag response time when learning from such a remote?

Thanks STB

Yes i have this mce remote and have it added/programmed to my H650. This $15 mce remote is very good. I am still seeing if i can add the mouse function (8 ways) to my H650. I also have the Next Gen RF transmitter ($40) that convert my H650 to RF remote that i can use to control my HTPC and other equipment thru wall. I find it nice not have to point my control to the equipment.
To quote a section, delete what you do not want, just leave what you want in between the two '[/quote]'
post #8 of 8 Old 04-28-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post

Thanks STB

Hello Bryan looks like this mite be the most senseable choice.

I understand the function of the IR reciever to read the sent signal from the remote.
what is the second cables function it appears to have a line in connection and a small reciever?

Thanks STB

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-HP-O...21879693653687

the HP looks like a quaility IR blaster compared to the others, curious why it is so big maybe it has a wider angle.

Bryan the link from LT is very interesting are you using all these programed key strokes w/ you'r Harmony?

it appears the Harmony can function as a mouse w/ navagation volume and channel keys how crappy do'es the Harmony mouse function?

Bryan I read some remotes come w/ a remote and a reciever is a blaster more powerfull (distance and angle) compared to just a reciever?

I don't use a Harmony with my HTPC, I use a URC MX-980. But if I did use a Harmony I would use the codes listed in the link. It is standard WMC codes plus keyboard shortcuts such as ALT+F4 for closing a program, etc.

Using a remote to navigate as a mouse is like trying to move the mouse using arrow keys. To go diagonally you have to use left/right direction then up/down. 9 times out of 10 you will overshoot the target and have to correct it. If you are needing mouse control for your HTPC then you need to either get a real mouse or rethink your front-end. If I'm going to browse the web I use my laptop. If I need to configure something on the HTPC then I use remote desktop from my laptop to connect to it. If all that fails then I pull our the wireless RF mouse and use that on the HTPC.

Many people use the HP transceiver. It has two IR outputs. I don't know if it is bigger or smaller than other units, it doesn't matter to me because mine is out of sight. Main thing is to just get something. I didn't need a remote so I bought the HP for about $12 shipped.

Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page