compatable universals with nexgen remote extender - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-04-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i need to control a 70" sharp quattron, and a motorola dct 6200 STB (hidden in closet).

bought the nexgen remote extender, doesn't work for either device. Will getting a universal remote work? which one? looking to spend least amount of money. No need for macros or anything.

thnkx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-04-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viet_jon View Post

i need to control a 70" sharp quattron, and a motorola dct 6200 STB (hidden in closet).

bought the nexgen remote extender, doesn't work for either device. Will getting a universal remote work? which one? looking to spend least amount of money. No need for macros or anything.

thnkx

You might be running into the dreaded 'dual-band IR' issues that plague most everyone in the North East / NY area. I know people who disagree with this comment but take a quick look at the front of the provided remote... all of my Scientific Atlanta ones have two IRs side by side and refuse to work with 100% of the monoprice HDMI+IR over cat6 solutions...

It's quite disappointing .. They've known about the dual-band ir issues for going on a year or more ... I think tivos or maybe directv boxes also have dal band IR ... On some models and we're all SOL if we buy their otherwise great stuff.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-04-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

so there's absolutely no way to control a hidden motorola dct6200 in a closet?
post #4 of 7 Old 05-04-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 314
I respectfully disagree with the above. Those IR protocols and frequencies are nothing special and totally compatible with Next Gen. Just put it in your cable remote.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-04-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I respectfully disagree with the above. Those IR protocols and frequencies are nothing special and totally compatible with Next Gen. Just put it in your cable remote.

Are you somehow saying that dual band IR issues are a fantasy I just dreamed up now so I had something to write about?

If so view this: http://www.uniqueproductsonline.com/irresyhiirco.html

Read the description: "Advanced IR Repeater system allows you to Control Home Theater Components Located behind Cabinet Doors. We have already upgraded this unit to a Dual Frequency IR Receiver"

Obviously the issue is a real one...
post #6 of 7 Old 05-04-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viet_jon View Post

so there's absolutely no way to control a hidden motorola dct6200 in a closet?

Please read what I wrote... I made it pretty clear that what I was explaining MIGHT be your problem. Appoligies in advance if I didn't make that clear enough.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-04-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Are you somehow saying that dual band IR issues are a fantasy I just dreamed up now so I had something to write about?

If so view this: http://www.uniqueproductsonline.com/irresyhiirco.html

Read the description: "Advanced IR Repeater system allows you to Control Home Theater Components Located behind Cabinet Doors. We have already upgraded this unit to a Dual Frequency IR Receiver"

Obviously the issue is a real one...

I totally agree dual band issues are something one needs to be aware of when troubleshooting. I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear.

I'm not disputing dual band issues in general. But IN THIS CASE, the OP has a cable box model that has been around nearly 10 years that uses the General Instruments protocol which is most definitely 38.4kHz, the most common IR frequency, which is universally compatible. There is absolutely no reason any IR repeater or Next Gen shouldn't work. The OP's problem is an incompatibility with his remote and Next Gen, improper setup, or environmental factors, not a dual band issue.

I've had this very cable box in the past and used it with several remotes and repeaters without issue.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page