Controlling living room box from bedroom? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-13-2012, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The way my apartment is set up has all the boxes for all of my TVs under the cabinet in the living room (on the other side of the wall from the bedroom).

I'm trying to figure out a way to control the bedroom box in the living from in the bedroom (and prevent the bedroom box from being controlled in the living room, which I imagine I can just do with electrical tape).

I had this two part component from radioshack, but I broke it by pulling on a wire too hard and they seem to be discontinued (was a radioshack 15-2572r).

I've also tried the Next Generation Remote Extender Kit but it doesn't work.

Comcast cable boxes, both motorola.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-14-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Next gen is a good solution, why didn't it work?

Looking at the device you reference it seems to have been a Composite video extender which probably offered IR control. Do you need the audio video aspect of that device or are you just looking for IR control?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old 05-14-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Good question. Nothing happens when I try to control it, even if I'm right in front of the sensor. It's clearly picking up my signal (flashes when I press a button), but it doesn't control the box.

Edit: I should clarify: The system intermittently controls the box I want to control, but sometimes it doesn't, and even when it does, it only does it if I have the remote literally no more than a foot away from the receiver. In fact, the only time the receiver blinks to acknowledge me pressing the button is when I'm that close to it.

Batteries have been charging for about 24 hours.
post #4 of 11 Old 05-14-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Strange, may be a defective unit if you just got it. Possible something may be interfering with the extender as well. Careful if you use cordless (RF) headphones or even a cordless phone. Be sure that the base to either aren't right next to the next gen.

I would try to move the next away from all equipment and see how it responds.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 Old 05-14-2012, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Strange, may be a defective unit if you just got it. Possible something may be interfering with the extender as well. Careful if you use cordless (RF) headphones or even a cordless phone. Be sure that the base to either aren't right next to the next gen.

I would try to move the next away from all equipment and see how it responds.

Good luck.

How can I move the base far away when the RF dongle is corded? :/
post #6 of 11 Old 05-15-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't mean by several feet. Just not next to any equipment, like phone base or a headphone dock or something similar. Also you do you mean the IR emitter that's attached the next gen base station. Also the base station itself is a blaster so you should be able to place it away from the equipment so long as it has line of site.

post #7 of 11 Old 05-15-2012, 09:16 PM

Liked: 10
Two thoughts. 1) run the coax for the STB through the wall and put the bedroom box in the bedroom or 2) use an addressable RF setup such as the URC MRF-260 with an RF remote for the bedroom (cover the ir sensor on the bedroom STB so it doesn't receive any signals destined for the other box).
post #8 of 11 Old 05-15-2012, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 357
What wires are going from the cable box to the bedroom TV? There are wired IR injector solutions for coax, cat5 or HDMI...

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #9 of 11 Old 06-17-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

The only wire running from the bedroom to the box is the HDMI cable (runs through the wall and into the back of the box).
post #10 of 11 Old 06-17-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Sewell has an IR-over-HDMI product. There may be a few of these on the market by now.

http://sewelldirect.com/IR-Injector-Kit-For-HDMI.asp

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #11 of 11 Old 06-17-2012, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Going to give that a try. Thanks for the heads up!

I'll let you know if it works out.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page