device that can do macros that looks like speaker selector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-16-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm building a system with a 4311ci that is for audio only and has 3 stereo zones, 6 speakers total.

Does anyone know of a device that looks like a speaker selector that will sit above the receiver but I can program a macro into each button instead? All I need are 3 hard buttons, each button sends a command to the denon to turn each zone on or off. I guess I dont understand why a device like this isnt common. I need something very simple for when there are guests in the house.

The speaker selector is ok but it doesnt give a true zone control, it just cuts off the speaker from playing. The client will be using the iphone Denon app to control the zones but he is requesting an additional simple controller where the receiver is located. Initially I was thinking I could just put a speaker selector there but the more I think about the more issues I could forsee him having. Example: what if he turned off zone 3 on his iphone then he leaves and a guest comes to the house and turns on zone 3 on the speaker selector. The zone will remain off until they figure out that they need to turn zone 3 back on on the receiver.

I was checking out the quick select buttons on the denon receiver which would have been perfect but it doesnt seem I can program each button to turn the zones on or off or can I?

I'm almost thinking about mounting an ipad to a wall and just having them use the Denon app as the main controller. I need something that guests can easily control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-16-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

I should also mention that I need to use a receiver that can do airplay and 3 powered zones which is why I chose the Denon.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-16-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 353
You might be able to program the Quick Select buttons on the front to be simple Zone on/off...

2nd choice would be a cheap iPod to sit there and run the Denon app...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 5 Old 05-16-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Just called Denon support regarding the quick select and they said it isnt possible. I found this wall controller which could work too. Specfically the RK1-8.

http://www.rticorp.com/products/RK1.html

However, since I am not a dealer I would have to buy from one and would not be able to get the software.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-16-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 353
For the price you're paying for a 3-zone receiver (assuming you're using it in this manner, and not for the video/surround capability, as you stated), you're in the same ballpark as a NuVo Essentia. Add the MPS server for great sources and iPod/iPad support, and/or some wireless keypads (assuming no wiring in place for the wired keypads).

You're building a whole-house audio system, why not just use a whole-house audio system...

(lots of topics on these products in the A/V Distribution forum below)

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page