Question on MX-850 programming cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-21-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To all of the experts out there, here is something that I recently ran across and I wanted to see if this is a bad remote or if something else may be the matter.

I recently bought my third MX-850 on the bay de "e" and was finally checking it out to verify it works. Well, in connecting my programming (that has worked flawlessly with my other MX-850s and an MX-800), it is getting a cable error. Is this something new (my other remotes are several years old, as is my software)? Not sure if newer MX-850s require software to be a certain version (mine is dated from 2007) in order to be programmed. BTW, my connection is through a USB to serial adapter that has worked well.

Now for my real fear... is this a crap remote? Is there something simple that can be done to get this to work (open case and see a disconnected wire, etc.)? There was some previous programming done on this unit (not by me), so I am not if this is something common that I have not run into or if I have something that cannot be fixed.

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated. And yes, for those really in the helpful mood, I never did receive a constant update version of the software. Not sure how I may get ahold of that (I do have serial numbers for all of my remotes, if someone needs a PM sent to get this software from URC).

Again, thank you for reading this and any help that can be provided.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-22-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Newer MX-850s require updated software to connect as they had a firmware change a few years ago.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #3 of 3 Old 05-29-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

For those who have read this thread, I did find out that it was indeed the software that needed to be updated. My programming cable still operates correctly, and does work with older and newer MX-850 models (yeah, I know, this is a "duh" moment).

For those looking for that "live" version, do as I did and search for mx_850setup.exe and was able to get a version that can be updated. Problem solved, as the newer MX-850 did work with this software.

Now, in further research mode, I was a bit afraid of having software that may not work with my previous MX-850s. Luckily, my earlier MX-850s work with this updated software. For those doing this route, be careful and have your previous working version (for the older models) still available as I have read that this may not always work. Just be cautious!

Thank you for your help on this Mike (at least the kernal of the idea that the cable was not bad)!

Dave
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page