need outdoor IR control for zones on/off/volume - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 05-28-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm building a 3 zone audio only system with a Denon 4311ci. I chose this receiver because I need airplay and it can do 3 powered zones.

Two of the zones are outside. Each zone will have a stereo 2 speaker setup. The client will be using DeRemote to control the system but they are also requesting an independent volume control at each zone. At first I was planning to install an in wall volume control at each zone but the more I think about it the more I can forsee them having issues since the volume controls are not actually controlling the Denon's zone volume they are basically just cutting off the speaker. Example. If the client turned down the volume from DeRemote on zone 3 and then they leave on a trip. A guest comes to the house and tries to play music from zone 3 then that zone's volume is essentially turned down and when they try to turn up the knob on the volume control at zone 3 it would do nothing until they realize they have to turn up the actual volume on on zone 3 at the receiver level.

What I want is an independent volume control at each zone (along with zone on and zone off buttons) that sends an IR command to the receiver that controls the volume or turns the zone on or off. I am able to run cat5 from each zone to the receiver for the IR emitter. I want the true volume to be controlled not through a volume control connected to the speakers.

Been looking at the RTI RK1-4 line and I think this can do the job. I believe there are discreet codes for volume zontrols for each zone. I went through my URC CCP database and it looks like the codes are available. However 2 of my zones are outdoor. Would it be possible to install these outside? Or does anyone have any other suggestions on how to accomplish this?

http://www.rticorp.com/products/RK1.html
Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page