JVC RS45 controlled by rear IR input jack--won't power on!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-29-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone out there sending IR commands to their JVC projector using a 3.5 mm jack into the rear "remote control" IR jack? I'm using iRule with an iTach WF2IR gateway. I have a 25 foot stereo cable, 3.5 mm, going from IR output #1 of the iTach into the rear IR input jack of my RS45. Every command works perfectly--except for power on!! I've tried the iRule database codes, the JVC long hex format IR code, and learning the power on code directly from the remote. I've tried repeating the code once, 3 times, and 5 times. I updated the firmware on the projector. Nothing works. If I use an IR emitter, it works, so the iRule/iTach system is set up correctly. However, no power on via the 3.5 mm cable (all other commands work--power off, lens control, menu, back, cursors, picture mode changes). What am I missing?

Anyone have a solution before I give up and just run an emitter to the projector? Using the rear IR jack just seems like a much more elegant solution to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
You might need a GC to Xantech converter cable GC-CGX

http://iruleathome.com/the-hardware/...l-cache-gc-cgx

Apparently the GC puts out 5V and this works fine with the emitters but direct plug IR devices sometimes expect 12V (or something like that)...
post #3 of 7 Old 05-29-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 340
The compatibility cable would be my guess as well. Other question - with the power already on, do other IR codes work using the connection?

I used RS232 for my RS50 from a GC-100, controlled by iRule...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 7 Old 05-29-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. Jeff, the other projector codes all work perfectly using the same connection once the projector is on. There just seems to be something about the "power on" code in particular that doesn't work. Plus, I have my Anthem receiver hooked up the same way and it works perfectly.

I think I will go ahead and try that compatibility cable, although I'd hate to spend 32 bucks to find that it doesn't work! I need a 25 foot length, so I might need to either cut and splice it or use an extension cable.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-30-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchen View Post

Thanks for the suggestions. Jeff, the other projector codes all work perfectly using the same connection once the projector is on. There just seems to be something about the "power on" code in particular that doesn't work.

It could be the IR voltage that would be fixed by the compatibility cable (with the PJ in standby it may have different characteristics...), but hard to be certain about that.

Quote:

I think I will go ahead and try that compatibility cable, although I'd hate to spend 32 bucks to find that it doesn't work! I need a 25 foot length, so I might need to either cut and splice it or use an extension cable.

Don't cut that cable, use a 3.5mm extension cable or coupler to get the length you need. If it doesn't help, cutting it means you can't return it or sell it!

If the emitter works, I would be inclined to just use that - especially since it's not 100% certain the cable will fix it... But I fully understand the desire to use the hard-wired solution.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #6 of 7 Old 05-30-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Maybe I should just go with the emitter...choices...

Thanks again Jeff, and BTW I love your theater and thread.

Norm
post #7 of 7 Old 12-15-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the exact same issue.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page