AMX Controller Panel Design Question [TPDesign4] - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-30-2012, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm new here so forgive me if this isn't in the right category. I'm an IT Intern at a medium sized business. My boss has given me a task related to an AMX controller panel in the conference rooms at our office building. He's told me he doesn't even know if it's possible, but it was his idea of a "fun" project for me to try. I literally have no knowledge of this type of programming.

A few years ago we contracted an AMX installation company to install, program, and design 3 touch panel controllers in our conference rooms for A/V related control. I've attached a picture of the basic design of the interface.

Apparently support from the AMX installation company has been really bad and my boss no longer has interest in dealing with them. So he's asked me to, basically, backwards engineer the software on the panel. The software I've been given to accomplish this task is called "TPDesign4"
So basically my main questions are.

1. Is it even possible for me to do this?
2. If so, can I do it with TPDesign4 alone?
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-30-2012, 05:35 PM

Well.... It might be possible. I am a certified AMX designer & installer and took a class on programming. I can write basic code but the system I maintain is a convention area and the code is really hard to understand. I didn't write the code but whoever did wrote it in many layers(include files) which makes it hard to get to the bottom of a problem sometimes. That being said your system looks very basic and might be worth trying to re-design. Just backup your current code through Netlinx studio in case you have to revert back. Netlinx Studio is available through the AMX website and is required to pull your current code, and write/deploy new code. The website is a great resource and is something you should cbeck out.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-31-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcts_moose View Post

Well.... It might be possible. I am a certified AMX designer & installer and took a class on programming. I can write basic code but the system I maintain is a convention area and the code is really hard to understand. I didn't write the code but whoever did wrote it in many layers(include files) which makes it hard to get to the bottom of a problem sometimes. That being said your system looks very basic and might be worth trying to re-design. Just backup your current code through Netlinx studio in case you have to revert back. Netlinx Studio is available through the AMX website and is required to pull your current code, and write/deploy new code. The website is a great resource and is something you should cbeck out.

I agree that the website would be a great resource, however, you need to be an AMX "dealer" to download any applications from it. AMX has not allowed us dealer access. We're in the process of trying to get a dealer to give us access to the software. Since you have apparently have dealer access, could you possibly upload Netlinx and some other software for me instead? I'm also not completely sure how I would go about pulling the code off the panel. Thank you for your help.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-01-2012, 01:28 PM

I will PM you
post #5 of 6 Old 06-01-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkellen View Post

I agree that the website would be a great resource, however, you need to be an AMX "dealer" to download any applications from it. AMX has not allowed us dealer access. We're in the process of trying to get a dealer to give us access to the software. Since you have apparently have dealer access, could you possibly upload Netlinx and some other software for me instead? I'm also not completely sure how I would go about pulling the code off the panel. Thank you for your help.

It's been a couple of years since I programmed an AMX system. But if I remember correctly, you have the option to upload the project source code with the compiled code to the Netlinx. If the dealer did this then you can retrieve the source code from the Netlinx controller and make changes as needed. Most dealers do not do this though because they want to keep control of the programming and to be included in any future changes that you might need. Also, it is a complicated system and AMX recommends only trained people poke around with it. Of course I am of the belief that if you buy the system the source code should be part of it.

If the source code was not included in the upload then you will probably have to start from scratch.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-01-2012, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by octavian View Post

It's been a couple of years since I programmed an AMX system. But if I remember correctly, you have the option to upload the project source code with the compiled code to the Netlinx. If the dealer did this then you can retrieve the source code from the Netlinx controller and make changes as needed. Most dealers do not do this though because they want to keep control of the programming and to be included in any future changes that you might need. Also, it is a complicated system and AMX recommends only trained people poke around with it. Of course I am of the belief that if you buy the system the source code should be part of it.

If the source code was not included in the upload then you will probably have to start from scratch.

I have a feeling that might be what I'll have to do. AMX will only license their programming software to "dealers." They train the dealers and make money that way. It seems kind of shady to me, but thanks for the advice.
Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page