Do I have to connect my itachs to my home network to use with irule? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-02-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I thought I would be able to control my itach device(s) by just using my ipad and connecting to them directly via WiFi. I dont understand why I need to add them to my home network. For one, my router is in the opposite side of my house, and downstairs, and my theater is upstairs. Getting a signal from my router downstairs in the office is sometimes impossible from the theater. Also, I dont want anyone who has internet access to be able to somehow hack into my home network and control my itach devices.

Maybe I just dont quite understand the theory or concept behind irule an itachs yet fully. I just got the itach and downloaded the trial version of irule yesterday. Finding info on everything though has proven to be a nightmare. Seems information is scarce, or im just not using the correct keywords in my searches. And waiding thru the irule thread here is next to impossible. There needs to be a simple How To guide to set up irule using itachs starting from step 1 being get the itach out of the box... But I digress... Lets just focus this thread on the original primary question- why do I have to connect my itach(s) to my home network? Or if I don't have to, how do I configure them not to? (Again, please start from step 2; I got step 1of taking out of the box). Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 12:06 PM

Liked: 10
Here's some great videos that showed me everything I needed to setup irule with an itach.

http://www.iruleathome.com/how-to-videos/how-to-videos

The wireless mode you describe is called Ad-Hoc. I won't make excuses as to why it's not supported but it's not a very good solution based on current computing platforms in general.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, i had seen those already. They dont show how to set up the wifi itachs at all...

So if the adhoc network platform like I originally described is a bad idea, would it be a better idea to use a separate designated router for just the theater? I do actually have a spare router that I could use for that. Would that have to be connected to a modem or internet, or could I just have it as a theater wifi network?
Old 06-02-2012, 01:49 PM

Sorry, I can't help with the first few setup steps on the wifi itach because I use the wired version. In regards to your wireless network question, you should just add the itach to your existing wireless network. If range is an issue then you can use your spare router as a repeater or bridge.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Why do i need them on my home network? Do the itachs have to be connected to the internet? If thats the case, is my irule remote going to stop working if my internet goes down? That would suck!
Old 06-02-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevychad View Post

I thought I would be able to control my itach device(s) by just using my ipad and connecting to them directly via WiFi. I dont understand why I need to add them to my home network.

The iTach has to have an IP address, and something has to tell other devices how to find that IP address. Your gateway (aka "router") does both.

Quote:

For one, my router is in the opposite side of my house, and downstairs, and my theater is upstairs. Getting a signal from my router downstairs in the office is sometimes impossible from the theater.

Any wired Ethernet in the house? You could add a more centrally-located WiFi Access Point (AP) if you do...

Quote:

Also, I dont want anyone who has internet access to be able to somehow hack into my home network and control my itach devices.

You could create a separate network just for your theater using your spare wireless router. iRule and the iTach(s) don't need to be connected to the Internet, but other stuff in your theater probably would benefit from it (downloads, streaming, BD-Live, ext.). Setting up proper wireless security (WPA2) is the correct answer in either case...

Once you have the iTach set up with a valid IP address on your home network, you'll use that info to create a "gateway" in iRule (in the app), then assign devices to the gateway.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 06-04-2012, 04:27 AM

Liked: 24
The Ad Hoc idea won't work, but not because of the iTach, it's your iPad. The iPad must connect with a network and get an IP address, whereas the iTach has a default address that you could change manually, or make static. It's half of an Ad Hoc network, but the iPad won't co-operate to act as the other half. So, you need both on a WiFi network. It could be the same as your home network, that's not a problem.

iTach doesn't need an internet connection to work, but your iPad will be much happier if it's on one. You'd be able to use apps like IMDB, for example, along side your control system. Nobody can access your iTach from outside your network unless you set your router up to permit it, and by default a router won't allow it.

Your home network is fine for the purpose, and your existing router will handle the addressing just fine, but both the iPad and iTach need a good WIFI signal, so you'll have to provide that first before you can go much farther. That's done with an access point (basically a wifi only device that uses your router to handle creating a network), and there are many options for that. A relatively simple low cost access point would be the best choice. You'd want it wired to your home network for best performance, though some can extend an existing wifi net without hard wiring. Once you have both the iTach and iPad in a good wifi signal area, all the rest of this will be much easier.

A stand-alone wireless router might also work, some will let you set up a local wifi net without a WAN, but others will gripe about not having a WAN connection. It's not a great idea because your iPad won't have the benefit of an internet connection. I suggest the access point solution, and either wire it to your existing network, or get one that will extend the existing wifi.

However, one caution based on your question. You may not have a lot of networking experience, and if that's true, you may be frustrated with some of the setup. Global Cache devices are very cool, but can be a bit ornery at first. Knowing how to access your router and its device list is very helpful, and understanding some basics re: ip addresses is essential. In general, network based control with these devices is either a rather deep "hobbyist" project requiring a lot of time and patience, or something better handled by a custom integrator. It's one of those unfortunate areas where those that already have the understanding don't need any instruction, and therefore there isn't much around to help the novice.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

I see. Thanks for the helpful replies guys. I do not have any wires going throughout the house for the network. I guess I could see about moving the location of my modem and router to a more central location and see if that works better. The reason its in the office now is because my printer needs to connect to it, so I would need to run a wire for that. But if I need to end up running a wire anyways, perhaps I could just run a wire to the theater from the office to connect my other router. I was trying to avoid running a wire because I would have to run it in between the first and second story. Thats a lot harder than just getting up in the attic..
Old 06-04-2012, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You could look into products by this company:

http://www.ubnt.com/unifi

They provide some nice commercial type wireless devices made to expand a wireless network at an affordable price.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see. Thanks for the helpful replies guys. I do not have any wires going throughout the house for the network. I guess I could see about moving the location of my modem and router to a more central location and see if that works better.

If you're using wireless exclusively, you should definitely try putting the modem/router in a good central location for best coverage...

Quote:

The reason its in the office now is because my printer needs to connect to it, so I would need to run a wire for that.

Plenty of wireless "bridges" or other options for getting a networked printer onto wireless. Upgrading the printer is always an option, too!

Quote:

I was trying to avoid running a wire because I would have to run it in between the first and second story. Thats a lot harder than just getting up in the attic..

Yep, avoid that task if possible!

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Old 06-04-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Plenty of wireless "bridges" or other options for getting a networked printer onto wireless. Upgrading the printer is always an option, too!

Jeff

Ironically, my printer is WiFi enabled, but every time it goes into standby mode (after appx 10 mins), the power needs to be cycled on it to be able to print to it. Totally defeats the purpose of the wifi option

This is the printer i have:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...rkey=s203-2602

If i leave it connected to the router with a network cable, it has no problems.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ironically, my printer is WiFi enabled, but every time it goes into standby mode (after appx 10 mins), the power needs to be cycled on it to be able to print to it. Totally defeats the purpose of the wifi option

Seems to be a common issue with that printer... Not really a functional solution. An external WiFi bridge would still be answer, though.

Jeff

Old 06-04-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.. Any recommendations for a decent low cost bridge?
Old 06-04-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Personally, I would do a Linksys E2000/2200 and flash it to DD-WRT. That will give you repeater and AP/bridging capabilities, and it has both 2.4 and 5G antennae (although I believe even with DDWRT, the radios are selectable, not simultaneous - probably not an issue for your application).

The E2000 you can pick up from various online retailers for under $75.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Haven't used this, but look for a "wireless gaming adapter", like this:

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Univers...pd_sim_sbs_e_2

Turning a router into a bridge (with or without DD-WRT) can give you a lot more functionality, but a trade-off for more $ and time spent... If the only thing you need to "adapt" is the printer, I'd just use a gaming adapter.

Jeff