2 HTPC in same media closet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-07-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I have had XBMC for awhile, setup as a HTPC in a media closet with a Harmony remote. I have a Next Generation Remote Control Extender which converts the IR to RF and blasts the IR receiver hooked up to my current box.

My question is this:

I want to add a second box, and have the exact same setup. It will be in the same media closet, using a different harmony remote, but also using the Next Generation remote control extender. So, if I just setup the same way, the problem I foresee is that regardless of what remote I'd use, which ever command is pressed will be sent to both devices.

Is there a way to change one of the frequencies, or setup via the harmony remote control software, to get this to work? Possibly integrate Eventghost? I want to make sure this is possible before I spend more money on another box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-12-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone have any advise, or somewhere I could go to get some?
post #3 of 5 Old 09-08-2012, 08:24 AM

Please let me know if you have come up with anything to solve this...

My wife and I built a house with a media closet that will house all the cable boxes and DVD players for the entire house. It will also store the master audio receiver for the patio speakers and TV. My problem is that all the cable boxes are exactly the same, so when I turn one on, they'll all turn on. I just purchased a NextGen IR Extender Genius from amazon (not yet arrived). I'm hoping this will solve the issue. NextGen genius claims to be addressable and have the ability to control 5 identical components independently (we shall see). I just don't understand how that would be possible if the boxes all receive the same signal.

Any experience or advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Purchasing several expensive remotes is not an option for us.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-09-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

I am not sure about the NextGen Genius...I don't get how that would work either. As far as I know, you can buy the 418mhz or 433mhz. If you get both, then that will accomplish the goal I was looking at doing. I haven't gotten around to doing this yet though, so let me know how your genius works.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-10-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Eventghost would solve the problem. You would just pick a different device for each PC and map the codes to each. Use a Sony VCR Play command on one and a Panasonic VCR Play command on the other, both mapped to XBMC Play.

Or you get a proper RF remote with stick-on emitters and route the same IR code to different emitters.

Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page