Need help with remote selection for multi tv/theater setup in a basement. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-10-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There will be 3 tv's on the wall in my basement with all components, including the directv boxes, run to one closet. Off of the basement will be a separate theater/golf simulator room with another directv box, ps3, computer for simulator, two projectors, surround and other components run to a different closet. We will also have 3 other hidden box locations upstairs. I can't figure out what kind of remotes to get so that I can control everything separately. I want to make sure that changing one box doesn't end up changing them all. Are there enough RF frequencies so that I can have separate control for all of the tv's? Is RF the way to go or should I get IR blasters? Given the expense of the harmony type remotes out there, will I have to get a new remote for each tv? I know that directv has the rf remotes, but will I be able to have all of the boxes controlled separately? Any help would really be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-11-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 282
DirecTV RF remotes will be able to control each box seperately. Go into the remote setup on the DirecTV box itself and change the address of box 2 and box 3 so they are all different. You can control all from 1 remote or several, it's your choice. To control all from 1, DirecTV mode can be address 1, AV1 can be address 2 and AV2 can be address 3. Just move the slider to control a different box.

While the DirecTV boxes aren't a problem, your 3 TVs are. If they are all the same make, then you'll need some sort of addressable IR or RF system, which isn't cheap. If they are all different makes, then you'll have no problem.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-11-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. To be clear, there are enough directv rf channels to run 3 in the basement and 3 upstairs without interfering with each other?

What about the theater room with all of the other equipment? Any suggestions for a remote that won't interfere with the other 6 rf signals?
post #4 of 6 Old 06-11-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

DirecTV RF remotes will be able to control each box seperately. Go into the remote setup on the DirecTV box itself and change the address of box 2 and box 3 so they are all different. You can control all from 1 remote or several, it's your choice. To control all from 1, DirecTV mode can be address 1, AV1 can be address 2 and AV2 can be address 3. Just move the slider to control a different box.

Are you sure that will work? It certainly will for IR, but I've never seen any solution for controlling multiple D* receivers from a single DirecTV RF remote. I don't think the RF remote will send anything via RF for AV1 / AV2... Is there an RF-compatible 3rd party remote that could do it?

Happy to be wrong about that, but I couldn't get it to work. But if he's going to have any sort of IR repeating anyway, just using the selectable addresses for the D* boxes means he doesn't really have to go RF.

FYI for the OP - DirecTV receivers are also easily controllable via RS232 or HTTP.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 6 Old 06-11-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbtuttle View Post

Thanks. To be clear, there are enough directv rf channels to run 3 in the basement and 3 upstairs without interfering with each other?
What about the theater room with all of the other equipment? Any suggestions for a remote that won't interfere with the other 6 rf signals?
Yes, there are 8 possible addresses, depending on your DVR models. Some older ones only have 3, but newer ones have 8. So use 1-3 on your old boxes and 4-6 on your newer ones. FYI, same frequency is used by all, but header has 1 byte with the address. So like a lock and key, only the DVR set to that particular code will respond. Sounds like you only need an upstairs remote and a downstairs remote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Are you sure that will work?
Yes. HERE's how (thanks to Edmund).
post #6 of 6 Old 06-12-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Yes. HERE's how (thanks to Edmund).

Very cool! Glad they have a solution for this. So, yes, that's absolutely the way to go if the only components out of sight are the D* boxes...

Thanks for the link,

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page