Question about IR extender and IR in connection on AVR!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-14-2012, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a logitech IR exender sitting on my center channel below my plasma. The wire runs through a wall to a cabinet where all my electronics are located. I only need the 'blaster' to control all my components and it seems to be working well, but I have always been curious as to how the IR connection on the back of the AVR works!!!

Do I take the cable from the 'eye' that is sitting on top of my center channel and go directly into the IR in connection on the back of the AVR and then come out of the AVR (IR OUT) to the logitech blaster to control the other components???

I tried to go from the blaster to the IR in connection on the AVR using on of the 'mini'blaster' connections on the blaster and never got any control of the AVR.

Thanks!!!!

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-14-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 169
You should be able to use a blaster's IR out and directly connect to the AVR's IR input with a 3.5mm mono cable. From there you should be able to connect an IR blaster to the AVR's IR output. You have to be sure to assign the device(s) to the correct IR port on the blaster.

I've had both an Onkyo and now a Yamaha that worked the same way.

post #3 of 6 Old 06-14-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

You should be able to use a blaster's IR out and directly connect to the AVR's IR input with a 3.5mm mono cable. From there you should be able to connect an IR blaster to the AVR's IR output. You have to be sure to assign the device(s) to the correct IR port on the blaster.
I've had both an Onkyo and now a Yamaha that worked the same way.

Thanks. The blaster IR connection is 2.5mm. The connection on the AVR is 3.5mm. I got a 2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo adapter and ran the 3.5mm cable from the blaster IR out to the IR of the AVR 635 and nothing. Is it be because I used a stereo adapter instead of a mono adapter??

Also, I am not sure I understand about assigning the device to the correct IR port on the blaster. Thanks!

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!
post #4 of 6 Old 06-14-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34 View Post

Thanks. The blaster IR connection is 2.5mm. The connection on the AVR is 3.5mm. I got a 2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo adapter and ran the 3.5mm cable from the blaster IR out to the IR of the AVR 635 and nothing. Is it be because I used a stereo adapter instead of a mono adapter??
Also, I am not sure I understand about assigning the device to the correct IR port on the blaster. Thanks!

It might be because of the stereo/mono thing.

Your IR extender isn't port assignable. RF extenders such as the Harmony 900's has assignable IR ports. That lets you control two identical devices with one remote while porting each device to a separate port.

post #5 of 6 Old 06-19-2012, 01:38 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34 View Post

I have used 3.5mm stereo cable to connect my nevo RF base to Denon IR In port. It worked fantastic. Only problem I faced was that once plugged in the OEM remote will not work or behave erratically. This forced me to go back to the IR EYE again. Make sure the IR port in intended for the purpose. Nevo was using non addressable IR signals as well.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-19-2012, 05:05 PM

Liked: 10
I tried this last night with the RF extender, ( stereo 3.5mm to 3.5mm) and did not get the results I expected (nothing happened).
I assigned the device to be controlled by the RF extender, AND I assigned it to the correct port. I have a 2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo cable lying around that I'm going to try with the IR extender tonight. I'll post back here with details of my findings.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page