Harmony and PS-3, does it require the extra 10+ seconds for shut down? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-25-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently replaced my Harmony 880 with a Harmony One to control only a few items (TV, Receiver, DVR, and PS-3 w/ harmony controller thingy). What I've always wondered about is WHY does it take so long for the whole process to turn off when the current activity uses the PS-3? I press OFF, and it will literally take 10+ seconds before stuff begins to shut down, and when it appears to be doing nothing after the TV and receiver are off, the transmit icon is still visible, then the PS-3 turns off last. Just FYI, the PS-3 is used 99% of the time as a media hub connecting to TVersity running on a networked server.

When I'm simply doing the activity called 'Watching TV' (doesn't use the PS-3), the TV and receiver will shut off within a second or two of pressing the OFF button. Easy, done.

Couple of questions:
  1. Does the PS-3 really need to be turned off?
  2. Can I adjust PS-3 timings, or is there something going on that's needed and takes as long as it does?

Anyone have a similar issue as I've mentioned above? Any help is appreciated, thanks! biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-26-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The PS3 requires a sequence of commands to ensure that it properly shuts off. This is seamless to you (although it appears to take forever) because your Harmony PS3 adapter has a built macro that sends all the necessary commands to ensure the console is turned off. The reason for this is that you could be in any number of places in the console menu, playing a game, watching a movie etc. The macro ensures that you are brought out of wherever you are and then properly initiates shutdown.

Unfortunately, you cannot adjust the timing on this. Sony should have a standby command, it would make things so much simpler.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-26-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gotcha, thanks for the explanation. I might just leave it on 24/7. Is there any concern with leaving it 'on'?
post #4 of 4 Old 06-26-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Not really, I remember when they first came out folks were leaving their PS3's on and using the processing power for folding which is for medical research.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-PS3

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/ps3-folding-question.htm
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote , Remotes And Controllers , Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page