I'm in the market for a new HDTV and need your expertise on features that I may, or may not need to control the HDTV.
HDTV's in question:
- Samsung UN55EH6000 (no WIFI, no ethernet)
- Samsung UN55ES6100 (yes WIFI, yes ethernet)
- AV equipment will be in a closet in another room from the HDTV
- The plan is to control all equipment from an iPad using a Global Cache device (maybe the IP2IR?)
- Receiver is a Pioneer VSX-1021k (yes ethernet and controllable Pioneer App)
- Blu-Ray is a Pioneer BDP-140 (yes ethernet and controllable Pioneer App)
Q-I don't care about a Smart TV for internet/facebook...BUT will I need that WIFI/Ethernet connectivity in any way for a remote control situation?
Q- What happens when you plug-in a TV onto the network? Does it show up and get an assigned IP?
Q- If it shows up on the network, does that mean that I can somehow give it commands (on/off...) directly? Or will the TV still need an IR sensor?
I don't plan on using the Pioneer App, the only reason I mentioned it was that both of those devices have an ethernet port and can be talked to, so my limited knowledge thinks that port on the TV may be important.
If anyone has info or links on how to do the Global Cache/iPad remote scenario, I would appreciate it.
Keep in mind that none of the equipment is installed yet, and the HDTV purchase decision needs to be made IMMEDIATELY.