Logitec Harmony 885s, no support, two broken, what now - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
About 4 years back I bought my first one of these, after a couple of years and a few incidents (dropping it on wooden flooring), a lot of the buttons stopped working, and it would usually refuse to charge. However thinking that I had been unlucky (children not taking care of it), and because I thought (still think) it is a great design, I bought another, had my 2nd one two years, much better looked after.

Guess what... most of the buttons now don't work, or only work if you press them so hard you would think you will break the unit.

I called Logitech and asked where could I send it for refurbish. Answer shocked me (remembering it is not that old).

No repair option is provided, only replacement unit if in warranty. Out of warranty they will offer me a discount on a new model (but none of the new models appeal I have to say). I am not after endless support, the product is not that old, and I am looking for an out of warranty repair service for which I would pay.

They can't repair the unit(s), they can't replace them.

Considering I now find the internet forums are full of people reporting similar issues, and considering the 885 was not a low cost product (compare with oneforalls etc), I find it really very disappointing that no repair service is provided.

I did consider using the discount offered to buy a Logitech One, but they then told me I could not port over my programmed activities. I have become adept at editing the activities and spent a long time setting up keys to perform functions such as selecting differenet Cinema DSP modes from my AV receiver whilst watching a blu ray disk.

If I have to start again, there is no benefit to staying with the brand.

Would the forum like to recommend an alternative, hopefully a brand that will support their product longer than Logitech do.

Thanks

GUY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 235
You could buy a new from Amazon for $190 but......
post #3 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
buy a new "what" from Amazon, I am in UK and on UK site they don't have any 885s, and I am not sure I want another Logitech, looking now at a One For All XSight Touch
post #4 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 313
I own several Xsights and like them a lot, but they wear out too. The upside is they're cheap to replace. You may be better off with something like URC if you want something more durable. Of course my cheap One-For-All JP1 remotes last forever (10 years plus and counting). When their keys get finicky every five years or so, just open them up and clean them or add more conductive paint if they are really bad. Can't do that with dome contacts that are found on harmony. The downside is they lack an LCD and aren't as simple to program as harmony. But they are far more powerful and far cheaper.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by guygamps View Post

buy a new "what" from Amazon, I am in UK and on UK site they don't have any 885s, and I am not sure I want another Logitech, looking now at a One For All XSight Touch

Didn't realize you were in the UK. Follow mdavej's advice then.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page