Closed Captioning - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-11-2012, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to the entire world of digital tv, universal remotes, all of it. How do I get my Logitech Harmony 900 to do closed captioning, both with TV and with netflix? I try and try and I see the little box and I click on it, but I can't get it. I would really appreciate this. My mom is 94, and watching tv is about all she has. I am 67, and I love the British mysteries, but cannot understand the accent. Please help. Carol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-11-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 321
It depends. Many Netflix devices can't do captions. Tell me what device you use to watch Netflix and I'll try to tell you if it can be done and how to do it. What is the source of your TV programming: cable, satellite, antenna or something else? Each does captions differently. So tell me the model of the device your TV programming comes from.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-11-2012, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

I had absolutely no idea this would all be so complex. i bought all this at a small, local shop and the owner told me the Logitech Harmony 900 was the best remote to get. Now I am wondering. I hope this info helps. Carol

I have a Comcast cable for my computer, and then I have a modem to do the streaming to the tv. The models are

Computer: imac Version 10.7.4 Lion

Televison Panasonic Viera DMPBD310sn-V A11m002079

Panasonic Blu-ray DIsc Player

Yamaha sound bar YSP2200

Cisco Router 4200 V2 Dual Band
post #4 of 10 Old 07-11-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I need to ask a few more questions. Do you have to turn on your Blu-ray player to watch Netflix, or do you get it directly from your TV without turning on the player? The TV model you posted is a Blu-ray model number. If you use your Blu-ray player for netflix, then I don't need the TV model number. If you don't use your blu-ray player for Netflix, then I need the correct TV model number. And what is the make/model of the cable modem (cable box) connected to your TV?

If you can't provide the above information (I realize it may be difficult), here's my best guess as to how to do captions:

On the cable box, turn it off and immediately press Menu. You'll see a screen that has a caption option. Arrow down to it and turn it on. Turn off the box, then turn it back on. You should now have captions. There is now way to make this happen automatically on your harmony.

Not all Netflix titles have captions available. But those that do will have an "Audio and Subtitles" option on the bottom left of the detail page when you select a program. Cursor down to that to enable subtitles. You must do this for each program you watch as it will not remember your choice on the next program. There is no way to automate this on your harmony either.

If your cable box is not a Motorola brand, then the above steps may not work. Also, if you use your TV directly for Netflix without going through your blu-ray player, then subtitles may not be available.

Sorry this is so complicated, but that's the way the technology is at the moment. I wish we still had a simple captions button for all our devices, but the manufacturers have made it as difficult as possible. When I had satellite TV, it took about ten steps to turn on captions. That's ridiculous when you consider many who really need them have great difficulty figuring out how to turn them on.

If you have any kids or grandkids or even a teenager from your neighborhood that could come over and help for a few minutes, with the info I've given, they can probably show you exactly what to do now and write down the steps in a simpler form for your mother.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-11-2012, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Question 1: I do not know if the blu ray player turns on or if it comes directly from the tv. How would I find that out? All I know is that when I press the button on the Harmony 900 that says "Watch DVD", then there is a button that says "Netflix" and I press that one, and I get Netflix. Since I have to press "Watch DVD"first, would this mean it is going through the blu ray player?

Question 2: On my television invoice it says Pan TCP 55GT30 (55in 2011 1080P INF blk 2)

Question 3: Name of cable modem -- I have the receipt from Comcast from 2004 when the cable was put in, and I could call them to find out the name. All I see are a bunch of numbers, no name.

They installed a new cable box in April to coordinate with the new tv set up. The only name I see on the actual cable box itself is Ubee. Is that a company? I have the receipt from Comcast 4/13/12, I see serial numbers, 00f21741851 & fo91fsa1b19b - there is very little information on the receipt.

What do you mean on the cable box to turn it off and press Menu? All of this was professionally installed about 3 months ago, and they told me explicitly not to touch any of the devices, to only use the universal remote. I suppose I could call them back, but they were really expensive and I know I mentioned at the outset how important closed captioning was for me.

This is exactly the reason I resisted getting the high definition tv and all that went with it. I knew it would be a nightmare like this.

Well, the digital image with large screen and all of that is worth it, I guess!!!

Thank you so much, Carol
post #6 of 10 Old 07-11-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

1. You answered my question. Netflix comes from your player then. You should see "Audio and Subtitles" and be able to enable subtitles as I said before.

2. Thanks

3. I don't know then. There are a couple of possibilities. You have a single box (the Ubee) that connects to your router and your TV. Or there is another box (the one I'm interested in) that connects only to your TV. You probably aim your remote at that box to change channels. As far as I know, Ubee only makes the box that connects to your router/computer, not the box that connects to your TV. Is there a bigger box near your TV that has a display on the front showing either a clock or your current channel? If so, that's the box I'm interested in. If you have no cable box at all and only get a few basic channels, then the CC button at the top of your original TV remote will turn on captions. There should also be a CC button on the screen of your harmony after selecting Watch TV. If there isn't, you'll have to get the shop who sold you the remote to change its programming and add it. But any tech savvy friend could do it if the shop gives you the correct login info.

They were correct to tell you not to touch anything as that will confuse your harmony. But in this case we have no choice. Press Watch TV or whatever you normally press to watch cable. Then walk up to the box that's connected to your TV and press the Power button on the front of it followed by the Menu button on the front and follow the steps I posted before. If is no such box or no such buttons, then I don't have a solution.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-11-2012, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Now, I understand what you are talking about. Yes, there is a much bigger black box next to the TV, it says DVR on it, and it does say Motorola. Oh, I see now. So, this means are two cable boxes, small one next to my computer and a big one next to my tv.

Yes, I did find "Audio and Subtitles" with the Logitech and nothing happened. Then, worse happened because I got a message saying there was no signal to the tv. (I must have pressed some other buttons) Finally, I did get the tv back working. But it was only 3/4 of the size picture. Then finally after just pressing buttons, I got the original back. That is why I am now terrified to press things.

i do not aim my remote at anything because it is called an RF system (I think) and you don't have to point or aim. It really cost quite a bit to have this. But I do see the advantage of it.Especially now when I am fiddling with it so much.

I really appreciate all your input here. I may end up going back to the shop I bought this from. I purposely bought it from a small shop, I know I paid more than at a big box place, but when the remote had to be "reset" the guy came out right away.(remote stopped working completely) They should have told me about having to reset the remote. All you do is take the battery out and put it back in. Are there other times when I may need to do this?

The really great thing about you talking to me about this is now I have the language so I can go in and talk to the people in the shop about it.

Here is the conundrum: When something does not work, there are so many devices, a person does not know which one has the problem.

Carol
post #8 of 10 Old 07-12-2012, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Carol

Your system was setup to be generally bullet proof, but you need some configuration changes (which they should have made at the start). You have three options:

1. Investigate, fiddle, and learn about your equipment so that you can resolve any periodic glitches or changes. These will happen.
2. Find a relative or friend who can do the above, but they could mess it up if they are not prepared to spend the time required.
3. Find out if the shop will offer a fixed price maintenance contract or just come out a resolve a problem as it arises.

I am in the #2 category for a neighbor across the hall, except she has some high end custom system custom that I have no access to, so I just do the basics. It will be a large bill when one of the devices fail and an exact replacement is not available.

In your case when something does not work try turning everything off manually, and if they are plugged into a power bar turn that off. Wait for 30 seconds and turn it back on. Try it now. This is just like a power outage, but safer, which will happen from time to time.

You already know the trick about taking the batteries out of the remote.

Good luck and post back here for help as required.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-12-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Wait a minute here!!! The told me at the shop never to turn any of the equipment off manually, that if I do, all the settings on the universal remote will be lost. But, as you write here, what if there is a power failure???? Wow, I had not thought about that. I am so glad you alerted me to this. To configure the universal remote myself would be very difficult I think. I guess you need all the model numbers of all your equipment to do it. I looked at the brochure with the instructions and it was pretty complicated. But, yes, if there is a power failure, I guess I would have to re-configure it. What are your thoughts here?
post #10 of 10 Old 07-12-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hi Carol,

The Harmony 900 is a nice remote for you. You need to understand how it works though with Smart State. The Harmony's are activity based remotes, meaning that when you select an activity like watch tv or watch dvd/blu ray the 900 will turn on and set everything it needs to, to get your equipment to the rights settings. With Smart State the 900 keeps track of everything it did. If you manually adjust things on the equipment the 900 will not know this (that's why the shop said never to turn off manually). If you do like BPlayer said and power everything down and then turn off the power strip, at that point you should hit the all off button on the 900. At that point your equipment will be off and the Harmony Smart State would be in sync with that.

Alternatively, if for whatever reason one of the devices doesn't get turned on or doesn't go to the right input simply pressing the help button should hopefully get you straightened out. The remote will ask which piece of equipment seems to be having a problem and then try to correct the problem by sending the proper commands.

If there is a power failure and all the equipment turns off while in the middle of an activity simply press the all off button and the 900 will believe it turned everything off. If any equipment turns back on when power is restored simply turn off manually.

Good luck.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page