Which simple extender/repeater to purchase - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-23-2012, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been searching for awhile now and I'm trying to find the best simple solution (something my wife will use without complaining) for my remote set up in the living room. I've got a basic idea of what I'm trying to accomplish.

I'd like to hide the Blu-Ray player, Comcast HD-DVR and Xbox360 in a cabinet about 15' from the TV. I would like to use the same Comcast remote to operate the components that we already have. So I'm thinking I need some sort of extender or repeater. Any ideas on which unit would work best with a Comacast box and a Panasonic Blu-Ray player?

Are there any repeaters/extenders out there I could use that don't need a 3.5mm cable ran to the blaster in the cabinet, basically a wireless solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-24-2012, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Any ideas? Looking for a simple wife acceptable solution...
post #3 of 7 Old 07-24-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Cheap solutions include Next Generation (no aiming) or Power Mid, Leap Frog, etc. (aim at the repeater).
post #4 of 7 Old 07-25-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mdavej,

Any suggestions online where to browse the different possibilities you listed? Do some of these extender kits come with long cables from the receiver to transmitter? I'd need about 20', some of the ones I've seen don't look all that long.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-25-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

I'm looking at this unit: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_051ELM501/Sanus-ELM501-IR-Repeater-System.html?tp=2096customer-reviews-tab

It seams simple enough, I only worry about how long the cable is from the receiver to the hub/transmitter behind the cabinet...
post #6 of 7 Old 07-25-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
I think you misunderstand how repeaters are supposed to work. The idea is you put the transceiver in your cabinet, then blasters to your devices (if necessary). You don't need any line of sight with that part. All (except the one you posted) have a wireless link from the IR receiver base to the IR sender base. Next Gen doesn't need the receiver base at all, just the RF receiver / IR sender base. It's super simple. Just pop a transmitter battery in your remote, but the base the back or bottom of your cabinet and run blasters as needed within the cabinet. If you have reflective surfaces inside, you may not need any blasters. The device you found still requires you to aim at it and run long cables.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-26-2012, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter

I realized some were wireless from receiver to base, just didn't know which ones were reliable. I'll try the next gen though, that sounds like a great solution, thanks!
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page