Help w/ picking a new remote? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2012, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just got a new Samsung PN64D7000, and Comcast swapped my old PVR box for a DCX3400 (IIRC...it's a newer style box w/ the white LED clock). I'm trying to re-program my old Logitech Harmony (XBox Ed.) and am having some trouble, which got me looking at just getting a new remote (the tiny buttons on the Logitech always annoyed me anyway). If I go with a new remote, I was hoping for something that can also control my Lutron R/A ligthing. I came across the URC MX-780, and it seems like it will fit the bill, but if I'm reading right, I may have some trouble obtaining the programming software for it(?). I see that BestBuy has it as an 'in store only' item at a local store w/ a Magnolia, and I have some gift cards that need using. Will they be able to sell it to me w/ the software?

Any other suggestions I should look at? Thanks!

Edit - I should note that my primary usage will be for watching cable (incl. DVR) and navigating the apps on the Xbox and on the Samsung.

-Lee
XBL GT: S4Lee
(Former) MS MVP - Xbox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 01:02 PM

Liked: 10
Unless you know a custom installer you will never see the software for a URC. They are made specifically for installers and they (installers) are the only one that have the software. They are good remotes they become annoying if you upgrade any of your components because you have to find an installer to come and do the software programming of the remote.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That's what I was afraid of... I'm pretty tech savy, being in IT (systems integration) and have managed to program an old MX-500 and my Lutron lighting system. I was even ISF certified once upon a time. I don't need to pay an installer to come and program my remote w/ a Windows-based program every time I make a small change to my setup.

For the price, I'd be willing to try the R50, or maybe the R40, but it seems these are IR-only(?), which isn't a big deal for me, except that I think I need the RF if I'm going to control my RA lighting. What are the key differences between these, as they seem to be ~$100 apart in price?

-Lee
(Former) MS MVP - Xbox
Old 07-30-2012, 01:54 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post

That's what I was afraid of... I'm pretty tech savy, being in IT (systems integration) and have managed to program an old MX-500 and my Lutron lighting system. I was even ISF certified once upon a time. I don't need to pay an installer to come and program my remote w/ a Windows-based program every time I make a small change to my setup.
For the price, I'd be willing to try the R50, or maybe the R40, but it seems these are IR-only(?), which isn't a big deal for me, except that I think I need the RF if I'm going to control my RA lighting. What are the key differences between these, as they seem to be ~$100 apart in price?

With your background you should have no problems programming the 880...you just need to become friends with an installer that would "forget" to take the software CD with him on the day he is there for the install wink.gif
Old 07-31-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, I got my Harmony 800 working again last night (bad USB cable was preventing it from being recognized by the software), so I guess I can use that until I decide what to do. My buddy at work has the URC 850, but claims he won't buy it again just because of the limited access to the software. I may just go w/ a new Harmony 900 (or 1100, maybe).

-Lee
(Former) MS MVP - Xbox
Old 08-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post

Well, I got my Harmony 800 working again last night (bad USB cable was preventing it from being recognized by the software), so I guess I can use that until I decide what to do. My buddy at work has the URC 850, but claims he won't buy it again just because of the limited access to the software. I may just go w/ a new Harmony 900 (or 1100, maybe).
But beware that these remotes do not allow sequences (macros) that you may be using with the 800. If they are not needed then the RF and state tracking are great features.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I may have gotten that model # wrong - the Logitech remote I had was the Xbox remote (as per my first post), and I don't remember ever having macro functionality with it. I have an old MX-500 somewhere if I really needed the macros, but I like having the hard buttons for things like "Guide", plus the new color LCDs are cool!

I ended up picking up the 900 the other day when I noticed it was on sale at BB, even though I don't currently need the RF (unless I can figure out a way to use it to control my Lutron RA lights). So far, pretty happy with it, though I can't say the same about the software. I couldn't get it to add or re-arrange the soft buttons on an Activity. When I tried again last night, I got a message "Unable to Display Content" when trying to upload the program to the remote. Seems to be an ongoing problem, and one that may be related to Logitech's servers, so I figured I'd try again tonight before calling thier online support.

One thing I still need to figure out is how to use it with the 'SmartTV' features. I don't suppose there's any way to assing a 'discreet code' to an app in the SmartTV (i.e., Hulu, Pandora, etc...)?

-Lee
(Former) MS MVP - Xbox
Old 08-02-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 430
The Xbox 360 harmony was my favorite remote for a long time. I had many, many macros on mine. I guess if you never used them, you won't miss them in the 900.

There are no known discretes for those apps on a Samsung. But using your cable remote, it takes about 15 minutes to find them if they do exist. Assuming you have the model I think you do, just try every code from 00000-00255 in TV mode. To test a code, tap (don't hold) the Setup button followed quickly by a code, 00183 for example (power toggle). When you press the last digit, the command is sent. If you have a really new cable remote, it has no Setup button, so this won't work.

Ironically, macros are exactly what you need to go straight to those apps if you can't find discretes for them. If you had bought the 700 for a fraction of the cost of that 900, you'd have gotten the colored buttons, guide button, color screen and the macros you need.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

When you say I need the macros to get to the apps, I'm assuming you mean to program the remote w/ a sequence like "SmartHub, Left, Left, Left, Enter" to get to Pandora (for example)? I'm thinking that would only work as long as the app order remains the same. Download a new app that shows up as the 2nd in your list, and now you have to re-program the remote all over again to make sure it picks the right app. Not really an ideal solution either. I'd almost just as soon manually navigate the SmartHub screens.

I looked briefly at the 700, but it seemed the LCD wasn't as bright, and aren't there only 4 soft buttons vs. the 6 on the 900? I was thinking of getting the One, but thought that the 4 colored buttons would be useful w/ my Xbox, and my new TV also makes use of them.

-Lee
(Former) MS MVP - Xbox
Old 08-02-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Correct about the macros. Not bullet-proof if apps move.

The 900 does have more soft buttons, but I'd rather lose a couple of buttons and keep macros. I share your opinion the One. Colored buttons are very handy. That's the main reason I used 360's for so many years, even buying used ones on ebay long after they were discontinued. I now use the Xsight Touch which is far better and cheaper than any harmony IMO (better screen, faster, unlimited macros, better battery life, completely customizable activity macros, customizable command hold duration).

Anyway, you should really try that code search.