IR repeater question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-14-2012, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I tried searching the forums and found some similar questions, but I'm still a bit confused. Right now I have an IR receiver attached to my TV that routes all my remote IR commands to a repeater in a closet, which then sends the signal through emitters to my equipment. What I want to do is add control of my system using iRule in conjunction with a Global Cache iTach IP2IR, but I still want to be able to use my old remote as well. Here are my questions:

1. How can I feed both the signal from my existing IR receiver and the signal from the iTach into the existing repeater? I believe the repeater only has one IR input. Can I just use a standard 3.5 mm mono splitter?
2. To connect the iTach to the IR repeater, do I just use a standard 3.5 mm male-to-male mono cable? And do I use the IR blaster port on the iTach, or one of the emitter ports?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-15-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

1. How can I feed both the signal from my existing IR receiver and the signal from the iTach into the existing repeater? I believe the repeater only has one IR input. Can I just use a standard 3.5 mm mono splitter?

You do not state what your repeater is (assumed to be a amplified connecting block). If it is something like the Xantech 791-44 then you should be able to connect both your IR receiver and Global Caché to it. Global Caché recommends using their GC-CGX IR Converter Cable (GC-100 or iTach to Xantech). Xantech and Global Caché has more info, just click the links and download the product data sheets.

Leave your IR receiver as is and connect your GC-CGX IR Converter Cable to the terminal block. If you do not want to clip off the connector: procure a short 3.5mm stereo audio extension cable, clip off the male 3.5mm plug, connect to your connecting block and plug in your GC-CGX to the 3.5mm female connector.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-17-2012, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you for the reply. Also, I figured out which repeater I'm using; it's a C2G Impact Acoustics 40430.

When you say the connecting block, do you mean the part of the repeater that says +12VDC, GND, STATUS, SIGNAL? Where do I attach the two wires coming off the converter cable? Thanks.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-20-2012, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's the connecting block. You may want to see if the manual specifies the color coding of the wires from the receiver; the Xantech manuals are detailed and do provide that information. If not, try tech support with Impact Acoustics / Cables to Go?

In case it helps, the Xantech wiring code (which may be the same) -- they use a flat / ribbon cable:

Red or White Stripe (on one "side") -- IR (Signal)
Middle -- +12V
Other Side -- GND
post #5 of 11 Old 08-21-2012, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

When you say the connecting block, do you mean the part of the repeater that says +12VDC, GND, STATUS, SIGNAL? Where do I attach the two wires coming off the converter cable? Thanks.

Yes, it is three wires, not two.

Click here for the GC-CGX info. On your terminal block connect:

Green to: IR Input (Signal)
White to: Ground (GND) or Common
Shield to: +12 VDC
post #6 of 11 Old 08-21-2012, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Awesome! Thanks for all the help guys.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-25-2012, 05:44 PM

Liked: 11
This is my exact same situation and I have the same repeater unit. Wanted to know if the spliter option suggested will work. I plan on using the IR output from my Pineer Elite Pro-101FD as well as the IR output from a Next Generation remote control extender and feeding them both into the C2G repeater. I plan on running bot those 3.5mm cables into a spliter (2 female entry) and having the single end male go into the IR input of the repeater. Will this work?
post #8 of 11 Old 06-19-2013, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So do these repeaters have multiple IR inputs?

I would be dubious of the splitter case - which is really a combiner. As long as the other end is completely idle (no voltage) they won't interfere as long as they aren't transmitting at once, but for many electrical interfaces, usually some kind of arbitration is needed. You're creating a three way connection. Also one IR emitter might jack up the other emitter when they "compete" - I'd look for a product with enough inputs.

What Global Cache REALLY needs is just a couple IR Receiver inputs, and then just blast IR commands from the inputs to all the outputs, in repeater style, then also allow the commands received from the network as usual. Then no need for a repeater at all! The bridge and repeater are an all in one.

Do they have a unit like that?

Electrical engineer by education. Currently a system engineer. I like home automation, theaters, and blinking lights.
Someday it'll be more of an actual hobby - if my employer would ever let me go home!
"The Escape Pod" - My First Theater Build
post #9 of 11 Old 06-19-2013, 08:09 PM

Well, I researched. No, Global Cache doesn't have a repeater/controller combo unit. That would be really cool, because I can't imagine JUST going to global cache - for rarely used remote control commands, I wouldn't want to program all that into my universal remote application, I'd just want to pick up the original remote and use it. So for me it is important to have the ability to use the original remotes as well as "inject" the IR signal generated from my iRule/Global Cache setup.

I did see that the Xantech devices you're talking about DO have TWO IR inputs. One through the terminal block and one through the 3.5mm jack. Do they just connect to the same place inside, or is the unit "smarter" than that and arbitrates colliding signals between the inputs?

If it just connects them together inside the box, I suppose there isn't any harm in connecting multiple receiver wires to the terminal block, as long as collisions aren't expected.

All this is academic for me. I don't even have sheetrock up yet! But I was about to post a question EXACTLY like this, and found this thread which pretty much answered it. A testament to searching for a thread first before posting!

Hopefully this thread helps others like me. I only wish the thread's title was a little more descriptive.

Electrical engineer by education. Currently a system engineer. I like home automation, theaters, and blinking lights.
Someday it'll be more of an actual hobby - if my employer would ever let me go home!
post #10 of 11 Old 06-19-2013, 08:27 PM

Okay, last post on this thread. Maybe. I just don't want my uneducated posts to taint the thread.

More research revealed that the Xantech repeaters allow many IR inputs connected to the terminal block. In the manual here:

http://www.xantech.com/files/manuals/96_78944.pdf

they show several daisy chained together (t-tap also works according to the text) - so multiple inputs is a snap apparently!

post #11 of 11 Old 09-26-2014, 03:13 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Quote:
Leave your IR receiver as is and connect your GC-CGX IR Converter Cable to the terminal block. If you do not want to clip off the connector: procure a short 3.5mm stereo audio extension cable, clip off the male 3.5mm plug, connect to your connecting block and plug in your GC-CGX to the 3.5mm female connector.
Okay...now that the 3.5mm extension cable is cut on the male end. Which of it's internal colored wires corresponds to which connection of the Xantech block? (ie... ir output, ground, power)
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon Avr 791 Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Xantech

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page