AVS Forum banner

So What do you Predict will be the *NEXT Harmony*

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  BPlayer 
#1 ·
I've gotta say, the Harmony was great for what it is....but boy, have I been waiting for something newer - just to refresh things.

Whaddya guys predict will be the *next Harmony* big thing in Remotes..

#2 ·
Samsung and Apply are on one end of the technology upgrade scale and Harmony is on the other extreme end. The longer they wait to come out with a new models is the less chance that there be any new products.

In an ideal world the new remotes would be released in conjunction with streamlined supporting software to replace the old 7.7.0 version. There are no rumors, hits, or suggestions that this is happening anytime soon, and if they continue the trend of releasing products/software with less capabilities then the future does not look very bright for them.

My short list on what the next version of the H1 "should be" have are:

- addition of colored buttons like the 900

- more tactile buttons (easier to press)

- faster response time

- less glossy finish that is not a fingerprint magnet

- more streamline software but the current version is workable

I would also prefer software that works stand-alone on a PC rather than the current network version with database updates available on request. This would eliminate the issues of periodic performance problems and outages which prevent remotes from being updated.

Many people have already given up waiting for a new product and are exploring new creative methods of control via alternate devices.

#3 ·
Logitech is going to lose a lot of potential customers if they do not get things moving...i am a huge supporter of the harmony one however they need to adapt to the changing market and increasing competition.

I think the next Harmony One should have the following;

A larger touch screen (remove the silly left and right arrows) put a real touch screen that you can swipe to change screens. This will allow them to make the screen a good inch larger.

Fully customizable display, buttons, sequences, etc. No reason to hold people back

Add colored buttons like the 900

Make sure it is HTPC friendly, be that coming up with a slide out keyboard like the rumored (800 qwerty) or something else.

#4 ·
The next harmony one is already out it Europe. It's called the Harmony One "Plus". It's identical to the current One except it has:

- No sequences

- No ability to rename devices

- No ability to reorder activities

- No way to add more commands to the start/end of activities

- No way to import pronto hex

- No way to adjust delays or repeats

- No upgrade path from an existing remote. You must start a new config from scratch.

It works with MyHarmony.com by default for configuration, which removed all the features above. Thankfully, if you use the old software it works just like the original One.

Logitech has it's own agenda driven by who knows what, certainly not by logic or customer wants. As you can see, not a single wish list item from anybody was incorporated into the new model.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1425062/so-what-do-you-predict-will-be-the-next-harmony#post_22337991

The next harmony one is already out it Europe. It's called the Harmony One "Plus". It's identical to the current One except it has:

- No sequences

- No ability to rename devices

- No ability to reorder activities

- No way to add more commands to the start/end of activities

- No way to import pronto hex

- No way to adjust delays or repeats

- No upgrade path from an existing remote. You must start a new config from scratch.

It works with MyHarmony.com by default for configuration, which removed all the features above. Thankfully, if you use the old software it works just like the original One.

Logitech has it's own agenda driven by who knows what, certainly not by logic or customer wants. As you can see, not a single wish list item from anybody was incorporated into the new model.
Holy crap! I sure as hell hope that is not the POS we have been waiting so long for! PLEASE tell me there is something better coming from them!

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1425062/so-what-do-you-predict-will-be-the-next-harmony#post_22337991

I do not think that is the next harmony at all, more just a revision.

All that said Logitech is going to become irrelevant in this market if they do not listen to customer and make some changes...certainly they still need the very simple lower cost options for many people but they are starting to miss the boat on high tech users that want more features and control.

#7 ·
I hope you're right that the Plus is just a revision.

They are trying to compete, but they keep missing the mark. They have some low cost options like the 200 and 300 which could be very sucessful if they hadn't crippled them so much. If they had simply allowed as many activities as devices, they would be great products that wouldn't cannibalize the market for their higher end models. But alas, they only allow a single activity on those models, which is worthless to most people. If you're in the situation where you only need one activity, then your cable remote can already do that, so no need to buy a universal at all.

Then they came out with the Link, their own iOS remote to compete with the likes of iRule. But that is needlessly crippled as well and very unreliable since it requires a constant internet (not intranet) connection to even function.

So if their management would just put that extra 5% of effort and thought into the design, they would have some killer products. But for some reason they can't see that. It's very frustrating to watch them come so close and ultimately fail due mainly to stupidity.

#8 ·
The next Harmony remote will be whatever brings down the support costs compared to the old remotes.

Too many support calls for their software package? Release a limited web based programming tool.

Trouble getting macros/sequences to work? Remove them.

Have trouble getting stick on emitters to work? Use blasters instead.

Long term telephone support? Limit it to 30 days.

#9 ·
^^^

This is likely the practical business view, but it really hurt that small band of users like to tweak and optimize the control of their system.

Then there is the longer term view of where the television industry is going. Is TV watching growing or declining as people send more time with YouTube and their tablets, and DVD slowly pass away? More AV devices are now becoming web enabled allowing control from a browser. Visualize the state of technology 5 years in the future where all new AV products can be controlled by a web browser. The killer app will integrate all the devices with easy user customization, and you end up with a tablet (something like a Google Nexus 7 or iPad) being your remote control. This would be equivalent to an Harmony 1100 without any external RF receivers and blasters.

Of course it could be another 5-10 years for the old legacy devices to be phased out.

Considering this scenario, would a smart business strategist spend millions on a new product.

I will miss my hand held remote with buttons that I can control without looking at it.

#10 ·
It seems perhaps new remotes are coming? I just picked up two 900s this week while on vacation and they were $110 off each at Best Buy. I know this is might be the on-line price already but does this mean that they are clearing out inventory?

I have had my share of Harmony remotes over the years and they have ALL ended up in a box and then eventually tossed. Perhaps I was one of the unlucky ones but I had nothing but issues with the charging cradles for all of them. Above and beyond that I just could not deal with those tiny IR transmitters. Seriously, I would stick them and they would fall off. I would use tape and get permanet residue on my equipment and cabinet. The lengths were short so when I had to roll my cabinet out to get in the back to make equipment changes or adjustments the dang tiny IR transmitters would fall again and it was a constant battle. I hated those tiny IRs more than anything and the poor charging cradle wasn't far behind.

My past experience was a 1000 tablet and an 890 wand. It just did not work out. I have been living without a universal for several years now and I guess it was time to try again. The sale price on the 900 and my discovery that the IR blaster and mini-blaster had been revised pushed me over the edge and I picked up one for my living room and one for bedroom.

What a huge improvement over the others I have owned. The IR blaster is such an improvement over those tiny piece of crap emitters it's not even funny (for my applications) although I have an issue with two pieces of equipment in the right side of my cabinet. Not sure if the min-blaster is DOA. Gonna play today. Might need a mini replacement (qty 1).

The tactile feel to the remote, the MUCH MUCH improved IR set-up (no longer need to update when making changes-HUGE and can set via the remote) and it appears an improved charging cradle are all steps in the right direction. I am really pleased thus far (two days in
). I hope the quality is there.

I know and read what a lot of you guys are asking for with sequences etc. I can see this as an issue for many but really the 900 seems to me like it was a huge step in the right direction. I know I am late to the game with this one and it's three years old but still a really solid remote.

The next remote might even be pushed further on my wishlist. I would like to see a heftier remote. A little more weight. Take the improved IR and mini blasters even further. Maybe add a third mini-blaster. Keep improving IR transmission devices for ease of use and set-up. My small gripe thus far as it does not come awake on occasion when I pick it up. Need to give a little shake at times. Improve the sensitivity here.

I am really pleased with the advancements of the 900 although I am three years late to the party. Add sequences, continue to advance IR blasters, and take the hardware even further from a materials/heft standpoint. I will remain mum on the 900 charging cradle but if I have issues within six months like all the others I am going to be pissed. Build a better charger.

Is Harmony ready for the next level in HIGH-END? If it's improved over these 900s I just bought I would consider it but really I am quite impressed with these two 900s I just picked up (except for the problem I am having with the mini-blaster in right cabinet.). If this mini is defective another example of the next generation Harmony and improved quality control. I know many want better software but I say continue to improve materials/quality on the remote, blasters and charging cradle. I will pay for it.

The 900 is a fine remote at its current price of a $220 or so. Quite impressed and glad to be universal again after several years!!

Rick

#11 ·
They need to figure out a killer bring your own device solution. They already have the database of remote codes, and experience with walking users through setup (what controls the volume when watching a blu ray?).

I have been underwhelmed for awhile, but my dog just ate a remote which forces my last / backup 620 into duty. I like having same remote in kitchen, living, and bedroom, but have run out of sources for refurb and cheap 620s.

So I am looking for a harmony like experience for my iPad/iPhone and kindle fire, and am just now starting to look. I didn't like 4 or 5 inch touch screens, and don't know if 7 inch tablet will replace hard keys. But without a new offering.....will definetly give it a shot.

#13 ·

I want a remote that looks exactly like a Harmony 900 with the following improvements:

-  Modern touchscreen at the top

-  Wifi

-  runs Android 4.1

Let smart guys like mdavej sell 'advanced functionality' apps in a marketplace.     I miss the old JP1 days!

But seriously, it is 2012.   Kindle Fire, Nexus 7, Nook Tablet cost roughly the same price as a Harmony One.   Why hasn't anything trickled over into the hard-button HT remote market yet?

Kickstarter?

#14 ·
I'm using an 880 and it's still working fine with the exception of shorter battery life. I solved the charging cradle flaw by rubber banding the remote in the cradle. The more I think about it, for me the ideal situation would be for Harmony full featured software that would work on the iPad. But considering how crappy their software is, I'm not holding my breath. Plus they're in business to sell devices, not software.

I do think it's only going to be a matter of time until someone does come up with software that will allow a tablet to function as a full featured remote. It might require an attachment to the tablet though.

#15 ·
they need to add more flexibility to change button lay out. more stock icons that are usable and intuitive. make multi zone output selection simpler without a separate activity ( like a sub activity) or having to program in the commands to every screen, and not make it possible to give "no name" to custom buttons and commands and then fail to update. how about more support for the growing numbers of receivers that support web streaming function without having to custom program everything.

#17 ·
I suspect that most of our predictions and requirements missed the mark with the new Harmony Touch. Who would have thought that skip forward/back hard buttons would have migrated to soft buttons, and placement of the transport buttons on the top of the remote which seems like the wrong place when holding the remote without looking at it. I just got a new PVR and the remote that came with it had the small transport buttons at the top, and I thought it was just silly.

The designer is either a genius (and we will come to understand that this is the better way) or is not a power user and was just given instruction to make it different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.