Adding a Roku to 650 with five devices already set? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a hunch this question is both common and obvious but I thought I would try anyway. I have a 650 I have been using for years, with the following five devices already set: (1) Scientific Atlanta 8300HD PVR, (2) Pioneer VSX 1014TX receiver, (3) Pioneer DV-578A DVD player, (4) Hitachi VT-F391 VCR, and (5) Sony KDF-E42A10 TV (I told you I have been using for years).

I'd like to add my Roku to this setup.

I was able to login and download the 7.7 SW on my computer (I was shocked my settings were still there and I remembered the login and password), and added a custom activity that I was able to custom label as "Watch Roku" under the star button on the remote. It successfully turns on the necessary devices (noting the Roku is always on anyway, but it also sets and turns on the TV and receiver with the right INPUTs. Unfortunately, that's it... it appears to have the DVD device controls on the remote (eg, fast forward, top menu, skip a track, etc). But none of the buttons get you past the floating ROKU screen saver and none act as the "HOME" button on the original remote.

Of course, I can simply use the original remote. Seems a dopey solution to a "Universal remote".

I am guessing Roku exists as a device in the Harmony database, and if I added it as a device it would then easily configure the 650 buttons. But then I run into that pesky "five device" limit of the 650.

I suspect I have one easy solution... remove the oldest existing device (Hitachi VCR). I am embarrassed to admit I even have a VCR at this day and age, and I would favor the opportunity to free up space in a crowded cabinet to remove the VCR and the few tapes in there. I never use it. But... the two daughters, and SWMBO have a few tapes they think are all that important. So always wanting to avoid domestic strife (OK, I am a coward too), any other options short of replacing the 650 with a 700 to gain that sixth device? The 700 seems like a relatively easy solution (move the SW and 650 config over to the 700) but if I can save the $90 and still save my marriage and "Dad of the Year" status... well, a win - win.

So... long winded way of asking... any way to add that sixth device or at least get the custom activity buttons correctly programmed? TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 370
If your Roku has an IR remote, just learn all the commands to an existing device like your tv. Then add additional commands to the start/end of your activity for on/off, and map your newly learned commands to the appropriate buttons in customize buttons.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

If your Roku has an IR remote, just learn all the commands to an existing device like your tv. Then add additional commands to the start/end of your activity for on/off, and map your newly learned commands to the appropriate buttons in customize buttons.

Thanks for the response and help. I am not clear on what I should be doing here though... are you suggesting I use one of the other devices (eg the TV) remotes to learn the commands I need (eg "Home")? Then somehow add those commands to the 650?

I am not very technical (hence getting the Harmony remote)... so if you could provide a bit more details and perhaps steps I need to take.

btw, the Roku (model Roku2 HD) has a remote with the following buttons:
  • left arrow
  • home
  • fast rewind
  • play/pause
  • fast forward
  • star button

And then a rocker switch with up, down, left, right, and OK in the middle.

Again, thanks!!
post #4 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

One more question... since I believe Harmony includes Roku under its "DVD" device database, is it possible to have two DVD players under the same DVD Player device? That was I could conceivably have the DVD player as the device under the Play a DVD activity and the Roku as the device under the Watch Roku activity?
post #5 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 370
You've hit your device limit. So there's no adding another or stacking them, no matter if you have several of the same type or not. So you're stuck using learns, not the commands already in the database. What you can do is learn the commands you listed to an existing device. Call them whatever you like so the names don't conflict with the TV commands, i.e., leave TV LeftArrow as-is, and call your new learned command RokuLeftArrow, then assign RokuLeftArrow to your actual Left Arrow button in your "Watch Roku" activity. Same goes for the other arrows and OK. Just prefix them with "Roku" to avoid confusion or conflicts.

I don't recall the exact steps, but in general terms, you'll Customize your device, then Learn the commands in question, giving them whatever unique names you like. Then you'll Customize Buttons in your activity and assign the learned Roku commands to the buttons of your choice or to the LCD. If you want to use TV arrows and Roku arrows in "Watch Roku" mode, you'll have to put one set on the LCD.

You'll aim the Roku remote at your harmony to learn all the commands from the Roku remote. But since all your device slots are used, you have to pick an existing device on your harmony to have a spot to put the commands. I suggested TV because there was the least overlap with existing TV commands, i.e., your DVD already uses all the playback buttons, but your TV likely does not, so those are free.

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Roku , Scientific Atlanta , Pioneer Vsx 1014txk Thx Select Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page