AVS Forum banner
4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  bradley4kevin 
#1 ·
Waiting for my WR7 and remote extender to show up and have a few questions I have not been able to find in all the forums, reviews, or manual:

Here is what I have and what I want to control

Panasonic VIERA TC-L55ET5 55-Inch TV Living Room

Yamaha RX-V673 Hall Closet

Directv HR 23 Hall Closet

Panasonic DMP-BDT220 3d BluRay Player Hall Closet

Sony CD Player Hall Closet

Next Generation Remote Extender Hall Closet

Sharp LCD TV Outside

Yamaha Speakers on Zone 2 Outside

Questions:

I'm certain I can turn on the receiver with this remote, but can I turn on zone 2 and control the input and volume? My Yamaha remote has a switch for Main and then Zone 2 so wasn't sure if this is possible or not since there is no switch on the WR7???

I plan to use macros, but here is an issue I'm not sure how to tackle. One macro will be to turn on receiver, dvr, and tv. This will obviously enable the surround sound. However when wife and baby are sleeping I would want to turn off the receiver and then the sound automatically comes out of the tv where I would like to control the TV volume. Any suggestions on the best way to program this? This will be my first shot at programming a remote like this and if someone can save me hours of trial and error it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much from a long time reader, first time poster...Kevin

See less See more
#2 ·
You're asking a lot of that WR7. I think Harmony or JP1 would be a better fit. I don't know of an easy way to change the volume punch thru for each macro on the WR7. The other stuff should be ok. Just treat zone 2 as a different device and learn all the zone 2 versions of the commands.

#3 ·
I know I'm asking a lot of it. I was tempted by all the great reviews on amazon and figured I would give it a shot. If I can't get it to work how I want then I will try something else that is a little higher end. I had the MX780 and I could not stand the fact that I had to rely on someone else to program it for me, nor did I want to pay the service charge everytime I wanted something changed. So I thought I would start at the bottom and work my way up. Don't know much about JP1, I'll have to check them out. Thanks.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradley4kevin  /t/1426201/urc-wr7-questions#post_22342653

I know I'm asking a lot of it. I was tempted by all the great reviews on amazon and figured I would give it a shot. If I can't get it to work how I want then I will try something else that is a little higher end. I had the MX780 and I could not stand the fact that I had to rely on someone else to program it for me, nor did I want to pay the service charge everytime I wanted something changed. So I thought I would start at the bottom and work my way up. Don't know much about JP1, I'll have to check them out. Thanks.

I have one for my living room (Mits), HT (Acer H9500BD), and bedroom (Panny Plasma). I can't STAND "The Voice", X-Factor, etc. and having a single remote wouldn't work for us. This simple remote works perfectly for my needs (which aren't that complicated). If I want to turn off the surround in the living room, I simply put on my comfy headphones (works for me).

One thing I will tell you is that I haven't found anything that won't work with the learn function. For the price, you can't beat it. I use punch through for volume and cable channels as well as the auxiliary buttons for bells and whistles.

It's been awhile, how did this work out for you?

#5 ·
It is working out great. It is doing everything I ask of it. It controls 2 separate zones on my yamaha rx-v673, 2 separate tv's, blu ray, cd changer, and directv box. It took me a while to figure out how I wanted everything set up but now that I have it I really enjoy it. You can't beat it for the price, and like you said there isn't a function that it can't learn. I'm definitely impressed for the price.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradley4kevin  /t/1426201/urc-wr7-questions#post_22457663

It is working out great. It is doing everything I ask of it. It controls 2 separate zones on my yamaha rx-v673, 2 separate tv's, blu ray, cd changer, and directv box. It took me a while to figure out how I wanted everything set up but now that I have it I really enjoy it. You can't beat it for the price, and like you said there isn't a function that it can't learn. I'm definitely impressed for the price.

What code did you use for your Yamaha? I was wondering if you used the learn option for the scene mode on the Yamaha? Or did you find a code that handles the Yamaha control fairly well? Any help would be great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#7 ·
I don't remember which code I used. This was a few months ago. I also did not set up the scenes. I used the learn function to be able to scroll through all of the different sound modes for both the stereo settings and tv/movie settings. I believe I made channel up to scroll through the stereo modes and channel down to scroll through the tv/surround modes. I generally use airplay for pandora and use 7ch stereo setting and then standard when watching tv/movies. Sometimes when watching a game I will switch it to sports mode. Hope this helps. The learn function has yet to let me down. On the downside there are so many possible ways to set it up that I changed it quite a few times. I also ended up printing out what button did what in each mode, shrinking it down, and taping it to the back of the controller, mainly so my wife could figure out what was what.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.