Tablet control and new home theater upgrade - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 08-26-2012, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry if this is repeated somewhere. I searched and reviewed the sticky threads.
I'd be happy if someone could point me in the right direction.

I’m about to upgrade my 1999 theater to newest technology.
Currently I use a color Pronto Pro to control separate video and analog components.
I have an old rear projection TV, and Harmon Kardon AV510. Video sources are a Verizon FIOS set top box and a Popcorn Hour NMT.
I own Mezzmo, MyMovies and Homeseer HS2. The entire house is on Insteon switchLincs and LampLincs.
I also have a good selection of speakers which probably don’t need upgrading.

I’m considering a Sharp 80" Full HD 1080p AQUOS and an Integra DHC-80.3 A/V Controller.
I’m willing to reconsider my monitor and controller directions.

My Budget is $20,000+ in $10,000 increments.

I don’t watch much live TV. I purchase movies and store them on a large windows server then put the DVD in storage.
I plan to do the same with Blu Ray, but I don’t currently own any Blu Ray discs.
I mainly watch movies streamed from the server or tv content from the set to box DVR.
I’d like to stream from Netflix, but currently none of my devices support that and my TV doesn’t do HDMI or 1080i so connecting to a PC hasn’t been done.

What I’d like to do is control everything from a tablet. I haven’t decided on Apple, Android or Windows.

I’d like to control the functions of the Monitor and A/V Controller and room lights.
I’m sure I can do that with many of the tablet softwares.

But here is the part I’m having trouble with.
I’d like to have a MyMovies type listing of my movies and recorded shows, complete with synopsis and then select from that list to play on the system, while streaming from the server.

All the systems I see tend to stream from the tablet. But that’s not what I want.
I’ve tried using dlna/pnp but my results aren’t that impressive. I have not been able to duplicate what I want to do using a standard PC, Mezzmo and Popcorn Hour – but honestly I haven’t put a ton of time into it.

So here is my question.

Does anyone do what I want, have total theater control from a tablet?

Can anyone point me to a web site, forum topic, or other how to guide that will help me in solving my quest?

Thanks in advance for your time.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Projectors , Harmon Kardon

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page