My Harmony 900 died AGAIN!!!! II need a similar type of remote to replace it with. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-30-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll start by saying I love the harmony 900 when it is working. The problem is that it does not work for very long. I purchased two Harmony 900 remotes a year ago and have been through FOUR replacement units in this one year period. One of our remotes just froze up and died once again. Now that I am a couple weeks out from the warranty period Harmony will not replace it.

So, I need another universal remote to replace this with. NOT Harmony smile.gif

My devices:
Denon A/V Receiver
LG TV
Apple TV
Panasonic Blu-Ray player
Outdoor speakers (controlled via Denon and Apple TV mostly)

What I like about the Harmony 900:
Setup - While it takes some time initially, the setup using Harmony Software on the computer is pretty straight forward.
Shape - Easy to hold in one hand and reach most of the buttons comfortably.
Screen - I really like the LCD Screen with touch buttons for the main activities, favorite channels, and custom commands
RF - Included RF capabilities (My devices are all hidden, other than the TV)
Style - It just looks cool (big step up from my old Home Theater Master)

Even with all these positives, they don't mean much if the thing doesn't last. So, is there a comparable remote with many of these features for a similar price range (+/-$300)?

What would you suggest?

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-05-2012, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
May be you may look at Xsight18 touch models. It has its own quirks and I am told it is different to the way Harmony works. I have not used Harmony or other remotes so take me with a pinch of salt.

Xsight18 has no state tracking, but if you can find discrete codes for your equipment, then that is a moot point. In many areas it is more capable than Harmony and has macros that can go quite a few steps. The remote used to be $50-90 range and the Nevo RF Base (need to buy RF base separately) was around $50-60. Harmony may have an edge in code database.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrllc View Post

I'll start by saying I love the harmony 900 when it is working. The problem is that it does not work for very long. I purchased two Harmony 900 remotes a year ago and have been through FOUR replacement units in this one year period. One of our remotes just froze up and died once again. Now that I am a couple weeks out from the warranty period Harmony will not replace it.
So, I need another universal remote to replace this with. NOT Harmony smile.gif
My devices:
Denon A/V Receiver
LG TV
Apple TV
Panasonic Blu-Ray player
Outdoor speakers (controlled via Denon and Apple TV mostly)
What I like about the Harmony 900:
Setup - While it takes some time initially, the setup using Harmony Software on the computer is pretty straight forward.
Shape - Easy to hold in one hand and reach most of the buttons comfortably.
Screen - I really like the LCD Screen with touch buttons for the main activities, favorite channels, and custom commands
RF - Included RF capabilities (My devices are all hidden, other than the TV)
Style - It just looks cool (big step up from my old Home Theater Master)
Even with all these positives, they don't mean much if the thing doesn't last. So, is there a comparable remote with many of these features for a similar price range (+/-$300)?
What would you suggest?
Thanks!!!

After going through a combination of five 880 and 890 remotes I realized I should jump ship. In the cases of my remote actually lasting over a year before dying I was able to take advantage of my Visa Warranty Protection and get my money back. If you paid with a credit card you might want to check into this. It would give you more money to put towards a replacement.

I went with a URC MX-980 and would never go back to a Harmony for my main system.

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Harmony 900 Remote , Denon , Receivers Amplifiers , Lcd Hdtv , Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page