Harmony 700 Remote working with apple TV, netflix, etc. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-30-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had a Harmony 700 remote for awhile. My first Harmony remote (don't remember the number) was set up using their standard software. When I got the new 700 I upgraded it and started using myharmony.com. From reading some of the other threads on here, perhaps I got grandfathered in somehow, because through myharmony.com I was able to get more than six devices set up. At any rate, my remote has gone on the blink, I was attempting to get it resynced and working, and I am having trouble getting either method to work. First, I can't really get to the myharmony.com because it keeps prompting me to download software, which I do and install, and then it continually sends me to that download/install screen. The regular installed software remote 7.8.1 will only allow me to enter six devices which won't work. Would really like some suggestions.

Here's what I have:

TV - Vizio
Verizon set top box with Motorola QIP6416-2 (component 2)
Vizio Sound Bar VSB200
AppleTV set box that is currently connected as HDMI1
Sony DVD/VCR combo SLV-D350P
Nintendo WII set up as AV1
Sony Playstation wanted to set up as AV2 but that makes 7 devices

So, my questions:

1) How can I get all seven devices incorporated into the 7.8.1 software?
2) How do you set up apple tv in 7.8.1?
3) Why won't myharmony.com run for me?

I'm on a Mac, MacOS 10.7.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-30-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 319
For one thing, forget the Wii, it's impossible to control anyway. If you want a Play Wii activity, just start with a Watch TV activity and pick the Wii input. Now you're down to 6 devices that work with the old software. Your PS will require some sort of IR adapter because it only talks bluetooth. Logitech makes one, so do several others. They range from $3-$150.

AppleTV shouldn't be difficult. Can't you just pick it from the list?

Mac issues have to do with Silverlight running in Safari. Check the logitech forums for the solution. If you get myharmony working, you'll gain 2 devices but lose sequences and several other features. It's also incompatible with 7.8.1, so you'll be starting from scratch again.
post #3 of 20 Old 08-30-2012, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response!

No, AppleTV, Roku, anything like that is not listed in the remote control software. It was somewhat listed on the myharmony.com site, although it still didn't support it perfectly.

What I need to do to run AppleTV is switch the TV to HDMI1, and then provide commands for Menu, back, forward, pause and play -- that's it. But I couldn't find any device in the list (again, this is the remote software, not the web site) that even sounded somewhat like an AppleTV.

Concerning the WII, I'd really be okay doing as you said, because obviously you're going to want to pick up a game controller anyway.

Any ideas on the sound bar as well? Again, couldn't find anything similar to it in the list of remote software devices. I was able to set that up previously through the web site, basically added it as a device and then included it with "watch TV" and other similar activities as the thing that was used to control the volume. Now there's no way to even associate it.

I've tried Safari and Firefox on Apple and still not getting anywhere.

Thanks for any further assistance.
post #4 of 20 Old 08-30-2012, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I found all your devices in the software just now. I agree their categories don't make much sense, but they're all there. Try DVD - Digital Music Server for the Apple and Roku. And your sound bar was actually the default under Amp - Vizio. Do all those really not show up on Mac? I can't explain that.

As for the Wii, it's not a matter of the Wii-mote being more convenient, it's that no universal remote can control the Wii at all.

Don't sweat myharmony. You're a lot better off without it.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-31-2012, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
If you can't find Apple TV under "Digital Music Server" try "Media Center PC". Most soundbars are "Amplifier"

post #6 of 20 Old 09-06-2012, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I sort of have things working now. Audio bar is not completely working but you're right, I was able to find things in the listing after you pointed me in the right way. It's really crappy software design to force people to guess how you categorize something rather than letting you search for it. But I think I'm on the right track at this point.

Next is to figure out how to make my remote move more quickly between HDMI1 and COMPONENT2 -- at this point it's slowly moving from one to another. My Vizio TV's remote has one button for HDMI, one for COMPONENT, and so on for AVI And RGB, OR a menu you can move from selection to selection, and I think I'll meed to figure out how to make my activities click TWICE on the component button rather than try to roll through all 10 or so choices on that menu.

But we're getting there! thanks again.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-07-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

To avoid scrolling through inputs, choose input method 2. If there are no discrete input commands on your harmony already, then learn the ones from your vizio remote.
post #8 of 20 Old 09-09-2012, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

mdavej, thanks -- I changed to that mode, but there doesn't appear to be any way to select something on COMPONENT2 rather than COMPONENT1 -- what you would do on the remote is click comp twice to move to comp2, but I don't see an option to have that action be two clicks. Other than that EVERYTHING is working (thanks a ton!)
post #9 of 20 Old 09-09-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I think there are other input methods that might let you do that. However, it might be easier to just make your own COMP2 command. Go to learning then click custom at the bottom of the page, click RAW to learn a new COMP2 command and quickly press COMP twice on your vizio remote. That should record both presses as a single command. Now whenever you use the new COMP2 command it will send 2 presses of COMP. You can add your new command to your list of input commands where you set up method 2.

Another option is to try the following pronto hex for that command. See my tips thread for importing pronto hex.
Code:
0000 006D 0022 0002 0157 00AC 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0041 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0041 0015 0041 0015 0016 0015 0041 0015 0041 0015 0041 0015 0041 0015 0041 0015 0016 0015 0041 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0041 0015 0041 0015 0041 0015 0016 0015 0041 0015 0016 0015 0041 0015 0041 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0041 0015 0689 0157 0056 0015 0E94
post #10 of 20 Old 09-13-2012, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

EXCELLENT! Thanks!!!!!
post #11 of 20 Old 05-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

To avoid scrolling through inputs, choose input method 2. If there are no discrete input commands on your harmony already, then learn the ones from your vizio remote.
I can't seem to find in myharmony a way to control making the TV change inputs on power down like it did under my former harmony 880 software. The my harmony software does not work as well as the old software. Must I create another account and use the OLD software to work and if so does that mean that all the setup under My Harmony.com must be deleted before setup? UGH! There must be an easier way!
post #12 of 20 Old 05-08-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, that is correct. But you can leave your myharmony account alone. No need to delete anything. The other software will overwrite your current remote config.

The old software sucks, but Myharmony.com sucks a lot more. I've been trying warn people about it for years.
post #13 of 20 Old 05-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, that is correct. But you can leave your myharmony account alone. No need to delete anything. The other software will overwrite your current remote config.

The old software sucks, but Myharmony.com sucks a lot more. I've been trying warn people about it for years.
I agree that the software sucks but I have been able to get things to work after some fiddling. I even had a bunch of Audssey codes put into my 880 account that work my Denon AVR from sub menu's by Logi. What I am finding though with the Panny TV is that if I "watch a movie" with the 700 which is using HDMI 2 (inputhdmi2) the tv is left in HDMI 2 mode and then if I push "watch TV" even though it is programmed to use HDMI 1, since the TV is not turned off between activities button push that HDMI 1 is not selected. I can go to the devices on the 700 and select panny tv and input HDMI 1.....but then the 700 is in device mode and all of the functions of watch tv using the directtv tuner are lost. Is there a way to switch activities Without going through a power down cycle?
The 700 activities are:

I am using for watch TV:
Panny tv 50UT50 HDMI 1
DirectTV tuner PVr (hdmi to Panny TV; Digital Optical to Shin Kin)
Shin Kin Toslink switch Input 1 (Digital Optical to BA sound bar and Sony wireless headphones)
Boston Acoustics sound bar digital optical

I am using for watch a movie
Panny TV
Panny DMT SR220 (HDMI to Panny TV HDMI 2; Digital optical to Shin Kin input 3)
Shin Kin Toslink switch (Digital Optical to BA sound bar)
(Internet > (utube, Skype, Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, HuDu))

I am also using the Panasonic smart TV for Internet
Panny TV (Vidio)(toslink out to Shin Kin input 2)
Shin Kin (out to Sound bar and headphones)

I am also using the TV in Antenna mode when Direct TV goes off the air during storms
Panny TV (Antenna)(Toslink out to Shin Kin input 2
post #14 of 20 Old 05-09-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Turn off Viera Link in your TV and Blu-ray player. Then the input switching should work fine.

I've never heard of model DMT SR220, so I assume you meant DMP-BDT220, correct?

There's also no problem just adding an HDMI1 button to your activity, if you prefer, so you never have to go to TV mode.

If you set up your activities the same as they were on your 880, there's no reason they won't continue working the same way on your 700.
post #15 of 20 Old 05-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Turn off Viera Link in your TV and Blu-ray player. Then the input switching should work fine.

I've never heard of model DMT SR220, so I assume you meant DMP-BDT220, correct?

There's also no problem just adding an HDMI1 button to your activity, if you prefer, so you never have to go to TV mode.

If you set up your activities the same as they were on your 880, there's no reason they won't continue working the same way on your 700.
DMP BDt220 SORRY CONFUSED WITH HEADPHONES: The Viera Link connects me to the internet and Netflix.. If I turn off the link won't this disable my Netflix button? BTW I use TV mode when thunderstorms block out D*
post #16 of 20 Old 05-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
That's VIERA CAST you're thinking of, Viera-Link is the HDMI-CEC function for Panasonic. Always turn off HDMI control when using a Harmony remote.

post #17 of 20 Old 05-09-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Murphy View Post

That's VIERA CAST you're thinking of, Viera-Link is the HDMI-CEC function for Panasonic. Always turn off HDMI control when using a Harmony remote.

On my panasonic tv, its called viera tool, that brings up the aps like netflix and amazon. Where viera link gives you a choice of switching from player to camera, or going from an ap to live tv.
post #18 of 20 Old 05-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post

On my panasonic tv, its called viera tool, that brings up the aps like netflix and amazon. Where viera link gives you a choice of switching from player to camera, or going from an ap to live tv.
I just added both a input toggle button and a inputhdmi1 command to the 880 and the 700. Also while I was at it I added a OK, direction up,down,right,left and a 3D. Since my sound bar gets its input directly from the D* when input video to HDMI and the TV uses the video input when connected to the Network Ethernet 10 T cable I also added that function to a button and did the same with Antenna. I also had to change audio inputs on the Shin Kin switch as D" is optical out to SK input 1 and TV/Antenna is output from the TV by Toslink to SK input 2
I can now control the other TV functions with the Harmony without turning off the TV by using the soft buttons......but frankly it is more practical to hit the off button and start a new activity where the hard buttons do the selections. When using the smart TV functions the Directtv functions just get in the way.

The TV firmware is faster in internet navigation than the Blue ray payer
post #19 of 20 Old 05-09-2013, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Viera link automatically switches inputs as well, which is interfering with harmony. It must be disabled for harmony to function. It has nothing to do with streaming. You can keep doing the input switching manually if you like but there is no reason to do that.
post #20 of 20 Old 05-10-2013, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Viera link automatically switches inputs as well, which is interfering with harmony. It must be disabled for harmony to function. It has nothing to do with streaming. You can keep doing the input switching manually if you like but there is no reason to do that.
Ok, thanks, I 'll give it a try.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
New Logitech Harmony 700 Remote Home Office Products , Vizio , Apple Tv Md199ll A
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page