IR Extender Remote - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-21-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

I have a pretty general question. I recently moved into a house that has a nice media closet where the cable box, receiver, etc. are stored. They left what looks like an IR Remote extender going from the media closet to where the tv is, which is really nice. The only problem is there isn't a remote for it. I don't know what type it is but can post a picture when I get home. In general, can any remote be used with these? I don't even know where to start, really.

I have ATT Uverse, should I just go with their Point Anywhere RF remote? http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2020070&q_sku=sku4760278&q_manufacturer&q_model (sfw) Does anyone have any experience with this remote and if it works in a different room than where the cable box is?

If there is any pertinent information I left out, please let me know. Thanks in advance for any help, I am in over my head on this one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Virtually any IR remote (including the original remotes for each of your components) will work with a wired IR remote extender. An RF remote like the one you linked to isn't dependent on IR (line of sight) signals but it won't be able to directly control your non-RF devices like your AVR for example.

So, consider a learning universal remote (of which there are many) to control all of your components, assuming you do in fact already have a wired IR remote extender in place.

Vin
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page