RS-232 vs IP control - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-28-2012, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally got my Control 4 system installed yesterday. So far, the installer has everything working. Hats off to him for a job well done so far. Now comes the evaluation and tweaks.

I have a Denon 3313 which can be controlled via the 232 connection and IP by the control 4 system. My question is is there an advantage going one route vs the other? My basis for the question is not to challenge the installer, but more around will I get additional remote functionality in control 4 without the need for custom programming?

Same question applies to my IR controlled Epson 5010.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-22-2013, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by samp81 View Post

Finally got my Control 4 system installed yesterday. So far, the installer has everything working. Hats off to him for a job well done so far. Now comes the evaluation and tweaks.

I have a Denon 3313 which can be controlled via the 232 connection and IP by the control 4 system. My question is is there an advantage going one route vs the other? My basis for the question is not to challenge the installer, but more around will I get additional remote functionality in control 4 without the need for custom programming?

Same question applies to my IR controlled Epson 5010.

In the middle of this right now as well. what did you go with?
post #3 of 5 Old 05-23-2013, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 68
While looking into iRule I read that some Denon receiver's only work well with one TCP/IP connection at a time. This would cause problems if multiple devices tried to control it at once. RS232 doesn't have this problem. Now I don't know how Control 4 works in this regard, is there a central controller that manages all the connections? If so, TCP/IP is not a problem, if, like iRule, each controller connects to the receiver directly, you'll need to use RS232. If either works for you ok, then I think you could go with either one based on your cabling or your installer's recommendation.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17

I have a Denon 4311 and iRule. When I first got it I used the TCP/IP for a couple of weeks until I built an Rs232 patch cable for my DigiPortServer. I went with Rs232 since we have multiple devices running iRule and as stated TCP/IP on the Denon only allows for one connection at a time. Having used both I found the RS232 connection to be slightly more responsive and reliable and the two way feedback seemed to work better.

post #5 of 5 Old 05-27-2013, 06:12 PM

Liked: 10
Control4 runs the project on only one controller, no matter how many controllers you have in a house. All TCP controls are handled through the one running the project. My company used to run RS232 for AVRs, but now that denon has gotten their act together with IP drivers, we use it exclusively,
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Irule , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page