post #301 of 523 Old 03-04-2013, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst 
Ah yes, that was one of the factors in my assessments at the time IIRC....
Actually it turns out I bought a 785, I coulda swore I bought a H1, but maybe I bought a 785 because it was going for extra cheap & didn't have many deficits overall compared to the H1.
I think I'd come to the conclusion that none of the Logitech remotes were particularly optimal, so I opted for something lots cheaper than the H1 (then), & would upgrade to a more serious URC later.

I don't suppose anyone has a solid idea OTTOYH of how the 785 compares to the the other best Harmony's? TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 523 Old 03-04-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post

I don't suppose anyone has a solid idea OTTOYH of how the 785 compares to the the other best Harmony's? TIA.
To compare for yourself, see Harmony chart link in my signature. Realize that the 785 is the European version of the 720. By best harmony, I assume you mean the 890? You'll see that the 720 compared to the 890 has fewer devices, no RF and no Z-wave. Both were discontinued 7 years ago. Another thing is the 720 has the same type of dome keys as the 5xx series, which means they'll wear out in a couple of years of normal use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #303 of 523 Old 03-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

To compare for yourself, see Harmony chart link in my signature. Realize that the 785 is the European version of the 720. By best harmony, I assume you mean the 890? You'll see that the 720 compared to the 890 has fewer devices, no RF and no Z-wave. Both were discontinued 7 years ago. Another thing is the 720 has the same type of dome keys as the 5xx series, which means they'll wear out in a couple of years of normal use.

I mean the top 2 or 3 e.g. 890, H1 etc...
We know how they're all so segmented, so it's hard to have one truly best Harmony.
i.e. They all have their clusters of strengths/weakness. I will reference that chart.
post #304 of 523 Old 03-12-2013, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
got my touch this past weekend, and i'm not impressed over all,
feels ok in hand, controls are awkward though for what ones i use most (transport and the dvr guide info buttons)
so there's a fair amount of shifting around in my hand unless i hold it in an odd way.

the on screen help button is infuriating, at least once a day i hit it accidentally and its first step is to change my tv input so i have to go thru all the steps to get it back to the right input

its apparently no secret/surprise to harmony either, as evidenced in this thread on the support forums where a harmony support person responds in the second post (my reply follows)
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Remotes/Touch-Help-Command-Position/m-p/997513#M76900

my old 720 was superior in functionality
layout was better (although it is larger and had to move hand occasionally to use the higher buttons which wasn't often) and it interacted faster with my system (although it was doing the multi input for using directional keys on my ps3, the touch doesn't seem to do that) where as my touch seems to lag between button press and device reacting (so much so that i had to adjust the dvr compensation on my cable box to skip back a few more seconds when hitting play from fast forward to make up for the lag)

but i was up to 2 broken buttons on my 720 so had to replace it...

i will say teh ability to change some functions like screen buttons on the remote without plugging it in is nice
just wish could get ride of the help button (or maybe have it confirm you want to run help before it actually does it) and getting rid of (or being able to reorder) the gestures and keypad screen soft-buttons

Hey, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class
Especially since I rule.
post #305 of 523 Old 03-12-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

If I were you, I'd exchange that Touch for a 700. It's very similar to your old 720 and a whole lot less expensive.

post #306 of 523 Old 03-12-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:

If I were you, I'd exchange that Touch for a 700. It's very similar to your old 720 and a whole lot less expensive.

yeah i have a 650 for the bedroom, its ok, not a fan of the prelabeled activities though, and i got the touch on sale for 200 so the price difference wasn't that great

Especially since I rule.
post #307 of 523 Old 03-18-2013, 12:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In the Harmony reference chart some basic/fundamental differences between the 700 & 720(785) are outlined, but are there any others not mentioned that you know of? TIA.
post #308 of 523 Old 03-18-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I can't list every feature. If you have something specific, I'll try to answer.

post #309 of 523 Old 03-19-2013, 04:30 PM

Liked: 11
Ugh. I've been a pretty avid Harmony remote user for the past 10 years or so. Had an 880 until 2008 then bought a Harmony One. My H1 had gotten pretty dirty (kids, guests, etc.) so I decided to take it apart to give it a thorough cleaning. Found a nice online tutorial and followed it to the letter. Strangely noticed I wasn't able to remove the battery during my dis-assembly, but didn't keep me from taking apart or cleaning, so didn't really think much of it. Got it apart, all the non-electronic parts cleaned-up wonderfully. After putting it all back together the touch screen wasn't responsive. It still looks brilliant, but just doesn't properly respond to touch anymore. Of course, I confirmed all connections properly and tried again, with no success.

So again, I hit Google to hopefully help find a solution. Found a great website (http://www.harmonyremoterepair.com) with a lot of great info on Harmony remotes, parts, how-to guides, etc. On that site I found a notice stating if you own a Harmony One and the battery is swollen to call Logitech immediately as this is apparently a safety issue and they are often doing something for you, even if you are out of warranty. I did just that, just to see what would happen. After only a few minutes on the phone, they put me on hold, then came back and told me they were replacing my remote! Pretty nice, eh?! Then at the end of the process, they said that the H1 is a discontinued model and they would be replacing my H1 with the Harmony Touch. As I started this post...ugh.

Well, I honestly feel a little lame for complaining about what would normally be considered pretty excellent customer service. But after I had read some of the reviews about the Touch, and taken a really close look at the button layout, etc., I was less than enthused. I received my Touch this past Monday, got the configuration updated, and started using it. Now, maybe I'm not giving it enough time for me to adjust just yet. But for cryin' out loud...they moved many of the buttons that I use almost every time I pick up the remote to the touch screen area, and it now requires me to look at the remote, and to flip through multiple screens to access common hard-button features on my H1. I haven't setup my favorite channels just yet, and as I understand it, that's a nice addition.

I do like the size and weight of the remote. It sits nicely in my hand, too. But having the page up and down functions, the # pad, the skip forward and skip backward buttons all only via the touch screen, and even the locations of the hard keys they DO have is really not very friendly at all. Why in the WORLD they didn't take the time to work with users in a study-group type of methodology to best understand what we WANT in a remote is completely beyond me.

I have heard that Logitech is putting the Harmony division up for sale after a disappointing 3rd quarter last year (2012). I can only hope that the new owners will better listen to us and create the remote we all truly want. I will keep my Touch remote, but I will likely be on the lookout for a solid refurb or possibly even another new H1 while I can still find one. Sorry for the lengthy rant, but I just needed to vent a little.
post #310 of 523 Old 03-19-2013, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Nothing in your your post about the Touch surprise me, but keeping using it for a few weeks and report back if your opinion and let us know if your opinion has changed.
post #311 of 523 Old 03-20-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Too bad you opened it. My 890 died and they were going to replace it, but it was discontinued. Instead they shipped me a new 900. I threw that thing up for sell online as soon as it arrived at my door. I was able to get another $100 out of it than if they sent me a replacement 890.

It helped fund the jump to a URC MX remote.

post #312 of 523 Old 03-26-2013, 02:10 PM

Thinking of retiring my 659 (not SST - is there a difference?).

My set up:

Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000 receiver - The Aventage RX-A2000 remote alone has 67(!) buttons, and then you fold it open and there's another 26 buttons.for a total of 93 buttons(!)
Yamaha Aventage BD-A1000 DVD
Comcast Cable Box
Apple TV - The Apple TV has only 7 buttons total! Ahhhh Apple! La Dolce Vita! - Sometimes less is more - this is one of those times
JVC TV
GANZ Security CCTV/DVR
Win7 Ultimate 64bit Computer on it's way that will hopefully have media center, or some other software, available on it for storage of my existing music collection, and future movie/media server (software recommendations there?) I hope it comes with Media Center like the old Vista did did. (I really do don't I? LOL)

It feels like my 659 leaves a lot to be desired in operating everything easily and usually end up grabbing one of the OEM remotes to make things happen anyway.

Recommendations for a new remote? - 659SST, One, 890, 900, Touch (after reading this thread it seems like it may be both overkill on features and underkill on buttons), or any other brand/model? Touch screen would be nice. My Nexus7? My iPhone works some devices better than their remotes but still want a all-in-one solution.

Thanks
post #313 of 523 Old 03-26-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

All Harmonys on the high end are pretty much the same aside from a few layout differences and the addition of RF on the 890 and 900. So your experience won't change much from the 659. IMO, a touch screen is not nice given how easy it is to accidentally touch the wrong command plus the fact you can't operate it without looking. The Touch model is missing some pretty important buttons (skip fwd/back), plus the playback buttons are inconveniently located at the top. If you have your heart set on harmony, the One is your best option IMO. If you prefer something on your iPhone, iRule will control everything.

My 2 cents.

post #314 of 523 Old 03-28-2013, 12:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can't list every feature. If you have something specific, I'll try to answer.

I don't, no need to to list every feature if you think it's (somehow) too complex, just list what you consider to be a handful of notable differences*.
If you'd prefer not to derail this thread just PM them & I'll delete this post...

TIA.

*that aren't in the chart
post #315 of 523 Old 03-29-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 54
A positive review
http://www.soundstagexperience.com/index.php/equipment-menu/415-logitech-harmony-touch-universal-remote-control

Not many complaints. I think there has been some software fixes.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #316 of 523 Old 03-29-2013, 08:07 PM

Liked: 13
Is there a way on the one touch to setup a Panasonic Viera TV so that the internet apps can be icons, like it does for cable tv? So there would be an Amazon Video, Netflix, Vudo, Hulu, etc?

Also, can this remote be programmed for the xbox 360 control, and assign those color coded buttons on the bottom for the four like colored buttons on the xbox? Not to play games with, but for xbox live, etc.

After looking and handling, the harmony touch looks really nice. I have no DVR, and I have zero remote experience, so there would be no muscle memory issues for me, as there appear to be with some people. Also... it has wife appeal, and I need some WAF right now, as I am in deep-doo-doo for my budget creep.

Thanks!
post #317 of 523 Old 03-29-2013, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

The DVR controls look pretty standard to me. It actually has many of the hard buttons that older designs don't have, so I don't know what the guys are complaining about. I understand the complaints about the transport controls being up top. If they suck you could just use the touchscreen.

I would expect the four color buttons to automatically get programmed to match whatever device uses them natively, like BD players and Cable boxes. We shouldn't have to work on them. Can anyone confirm?

I think the wife will love it. Mine said it looks nice, but she is a Harmony fan smile.gif

- AVStefan
post #318 of 523 Old 03-30-2013, 02:06 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

It actually has many of the hard buttons that older designs don't have, so I don't know what the guys are complaining about.

Given that the Touch is a replacement for the One, that's what it should be compared with. The extra hard buttons that the One has over the Touch (going from memory) are:

Skip Fwd
Skip Back
10 number keys
Extra Up/Down button.
E button
* button

The Touch has A DVR button that is not on the One

I may be missing something, but I don't understand the logic of your statement.
post #319 of 523 Old 03-30-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mickey,
Apps are no prob. Just make sequences. Not sure about the icons. Check squareeyes page.

360 is no prob. But you'll have to assign colored buttons.

IMO the playback controls do suck due to the lack of skip. To each his own.

All that being said, if I were over budget, the last thing I would do is spend $250 on a crappy remote. You can do better for a lot less.

post #320 of 523 Old 03-30-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

AVfile,

In my experience with various other harmony remotes, the colored buttons are rarely assigned automatically. But this is a non-issue since you can easily assign any command to any button anyway.

Since I use skip more than any other button, having no hard button near the other playback buttons would definitely not work for me. But if you don't use them, it won't be a problem.

post #321 of 523 Old 03-30-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Okay now I know what guys are complaining about. I was looking at it with fresh eyes, never looked at the One, but was looking at some antiquated URC designs. They look better for transport and actually worse for PVR/DVR. I used to have an MX-500 with a Lexicon receiver and maxed it out with a small system.

I only play movies on disc so I use the FF/RW buttons more than skip buttons - for browsing chapters I can use the disc menu most of the time. Also my PVR doesn't have a skip function so the Touch looks 100% there. I'm hoping it will be a breeze to program. I would go URC R40 but don't want to spend weeks programming (been there before with Marantz RC3200) and it has a horrible software bug the company refuses to address.

- AVStefan
post #322 of 523 Old 03-30-2013, 10:37 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

All that being said, if I were over budget, the last thing I would do is spend $250 on a crappy remote. You can do better for a lot less.

Recommendations?
post #323 of 523 Old 03-30-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^
I've seen refurb 700's recently around $50. While not a touchscreen (a big plus in my book), a very nice 8 device harmony. I like the 700 even better than the One because of the colored buttons and lower price.

post #324 of 523 Old 03-30-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Your chart says it even does macros! I looked at the 900 today and no macros for $300... Not sweet!

Touch does macros but not sure how well they work... Probably limited to 5 steps.

- AVStefan
post #325 of 523 Old 03-30-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Touch actually does 10 step macros.

post #326 of 523 Old 03-30-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:

^^^
I've seen refurb 700's recently around $50. While not a touchscreen (a big plus in my book), a very nice 8 device harmony. I like the 700 even better than the One because of the colored buttons and lower price.
You can save even more by getting the 650 and buying your own rechargeable batteries. There is no difference between the 650 and 700 except Logitech wants to charge you $25 for their batteries and they are lower quality than good ones you can buy yourself.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #327 of 523 Old 03-30-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just curious if anyone has heard who Logitech is going to sell Harmony to, any rumors out there?
post #328 of 523 Old 03-31-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

You can save even more by getting the 650 and buying your own rechargeable batteries. There is no difference between the 650 and 700 except Logitech wants to charge you $25 for their batteries and they are lower quality than good ones you can buy yourself.

The 650 is only 5 devices, but the 700 is 6 (with 7.7 software) or 8 (with myharmony.com).

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #329 of 523 Old 03-31-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Can the Touch use software or only Web?

- AVStefan
post #330 of 523 Old 03-31-2013, 12:12 PM

only myharmony.com

Especially since I rule.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page