I need an IR receiver for my HTPC and Harmony remote - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-03-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have a Logitech Harmony 720, our HTPC is running W7

95% of what we do with our HTPC we just use the bluetooth keyboard so we only really use the remote for volume and to switch all the components for a given function (i.e. gaming, music, tv, etc)
the problem Ive run into is that my PC won't sleep which is just needlessly burning electricity, I've tried a myriad of options to get it to snooze but none have been 100%. I would like to be able to setup my Harmony to not only shut down my components on power off (TV, receiver, etc) but also send a command to the PC telling ti to goto sleep and similarly on power on for it to revive. I assume this should be quite simple but I'll need some kind of IR receiver I can plugin to the HTPC to pick up the signal and dispatch to the PC as appropriate.

I would very much appreciate any tips or ideas, thanks guys.

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-03-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 352
THIS one works great for me. Power button puts PC to sleep and any button wakes it. I use it for all media center control as well. But I get the best results if I let my PC sleep based on time only and wake it as needed. And of course I never use the included remote, just the IR dongle and my universal remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old 10-03-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

THIS one works great for me. Power button puts PC to sleep and any button wakes it. I use it for all media center control as well. But I get the best results if I let my PC sleep based on time only and wake it as needed. And of course I never use the included remote, just the IR dongle and my universal remote.

thanks for the reply

so you have that working with a logitech harmony or with the original media center remote? cause I'm on XBMC and Logitech, no Windows specific stuff at all other than the OS
post #4 of 4 Old 10-04-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 352
That one won't work with a media center remote, wrong IR protocol. I've used it with harmony in the past, but it works fine with any universal. I have no idea if it works with XBMC.

Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page