Remote choices. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-07-2012, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been lurking for quite some time, but haven't really found a good solution. I was wondering if I could get some advice.

Here is my setup:

LG TV - line of sight
Yamaha RX-V673 - in a cabinet directly under the tv with solid wood door covering
Directv HD DVR - in the cabinet
LG Blue Ray player - in the cabinet.

I currently can use the directv remote with the door closed and one open for the receiver and blue ray. The directv is rf so I love this feature. I just did my room before I did my research and I want to use my items in the cabinet with the doors closed. I was contemplating the harmony 900, but I think I am screwed with the tv. I didn't really want any cords on the outside of the cabinet. I guess I was thinking I could get a remote that would control rf and ir. is this possible?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks ahead of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-08-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Any number of wired IR repeater systems. Monoprice has an ultra-cheap one. Do note that many of the IR receivers can get flooded by the FL backlights on non-LED LCD displays (or plasmas in general).

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011009&p_id=7537&seq=1&format=2

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 9 Old 10-09-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 278
I would check out the Xsight Touch. Since it's the only universal that can do DirecTV RF, it's like a DirecTV remote on steroids (18 devices, touchscreen, unlimited macros, PC config like harmony, huge favorites lists, rechargeable, stellar battery life). Much more powerful than any harmony and far cheaper. I love mine. And when I say stellar battery life I mean it. You have to recharge a One or 900 just about every day. I only have to charge my Xsight about once a month.

BTW, all RF remotes do IR and RF, so that's not a problem no matter what you pick.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-10-2012, 07:46 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Another option would be to switch the DirecTV HD DVR to IR mode and control it and the other two components with the NextGen remote extender (http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generation-Remote-Control-Extender/dp/B000C1Z0HA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349879410&sr=1-1&keywords=nextgen+remote+extender) with virtually any learning IR remote that you choose as long as it doesn't run on it's own rechargeable battery pack.

The IR blaster will be fully enclosed in your cabinet with no wires on the outside...all you'd need to do is route the power cord to the outlet or power strip as you are with the other components in the cabinet. I have a similar setup and it works great.

Vin
post #5 of 9 Old 10-10-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I would check out the Xsight Touch. Since it's the only universal that can do DirecTV RF, it's like a DirecTV remote on steroids (18 devices, touchscreen, unlimited macros, PC config like harmony, huge favorites lists, rechargeable, stellar battery life). Much more powerful than any harmony and far cheaper. I love mine. And when I say stellar battery life I mean it. You have to recharge a One or 900 just about every day. I only have to charge my Xsight about once a month.
BTW, all RF remotes do IR and RF, so that's not a problem no matter what you pick.
Quote:

I have read a little about the Xsight touch. Can't really find them online anywhere. It also talked about the RF extender. It looks like I am going to need this option no matter which option I go. I was looking at the Harmony 900. It comes with the IR mini blaster that I would need. I guess this would work since it should be able to control the TV with the Remote through IR and then send the RF signal to the extender in the cabinet for everything else. I can switch the DirecTV back to IR and this should solve my issue. Does this pass the smell test? I would hate to waste a couple hundred bucks on an solution that doesn't work.

thanks.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-10-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:

I have read a little about the Xsight touch. Can't really find them online anywhere. It also talked about the RF extender. It looks like I am going to need this option no matter which option I go. I was looking at the Harmony 900. It comes with the IR mini blaster that I would need. I guess this would work since it should be able to control the TV with the Remote through IR and then send the RF signal to the extender in the cabinet for everything else. I can switch the DirecTV back to IR and this should solve my issue. Does this pass the smell test? I would hate to waste a couple hundred bucks on an solution that doesn't work.

thanks.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-10-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Sorry, didn't realize they were so hard to find now. DirecTV box in IR mode with any RF remote will work fine.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-12-2012, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

So I went with a next gen and a urc W7. I am going to give it a try and see what happens. Hopefully it works. I haven't had a universal remote so it will be a learning curve on the macros. It was super easy to setup out of the package. So I'll report back with my findings.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #9 of 9 Old 10-18-2012, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

I can't say enough good things about the next gen. Easy easy easy. Works great. The urc w7 is also a great buy. For $20 it works good. This is a great alternative till I step up into a higher end.

Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page