Small "bedroom" IR+RF remote compatible with URC MRF-350 & RFX-250 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-08-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I'm looking for a relatively "easy to use" simple remote to keep in the bedroom that will work with my existing MRF-350 and RFX-250 antenna. I'm already using an MX-850 in the "home theater" type room.

In this setup I have an existing HDMI switch going in to an Onkyo 7.1 receiver, and out from Onkyo to a 65" LCD.

I ran HDMI to a wall-mounted plasma in the bedroom and want to be able to control at least a few of the components from the bedroom as well as IR direct to the TV for power on/off and volume. Mainly I want to be able to control the FIOS STB (Motorola QIP-6416 I believe) but other components would be nice. So that I can have multiple inputs and output to both the theater TV and the bedroom, I'll probably be picking up an HDMI matrix switcher like this one -- it has an IR sensor so at a minimum I can teach the MX-850 the codes and it should work out ok I think.

Also I would like to stay relatively cheap if possible ... like well under $100 if possible smile.gif

Anyone have recommendations for a simple URC IR+RF remote that will work with my existing base that could solve this purpose?

Right now I'm actually looking into like the RF-10 / RF-20 to see if it would work (still not sure) but would actually prefer something much more simple if possible (e.g. like the old MX-200 but could do IR+RF with the MRF-350). It would be great if I could program it using MX Editor software like I already do my MX-850 but that is not 100% required smile.gif

Another option I have thought about: getting something like a NextGen IR Extender for the bedroom TV and just use the FIOS remote with it, then use the MX-850 or really any other multi-device programmable remote in the theater with IR only (all components are behind glass doors within easy line of sight so IR should be fine). Bad part about this I guess is that I wouldn't be able to also possibly control other devices (including the HDMI matrix) from bedroom if I wanted to possibly have other sources feeding in there.

Any leads would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I have a very similar setup using the same HDMI matrix switch you're considering. Until recently I was using the NextGen remote extender (actually, I still use it for control from a 2nd remote location) with the discontinued URC-8820. This is a One-For-All remote, not to be confused with the company that makes the URC RF20 > http://www.universalremote.com/products/retail/remotes/urc-rf20.

Anyway, the very inexpensive URC-8820 worked great but I had to do a lot of improvising to set it up to control my two DirecTV HD DVRs, a Roku box and the aformentioned HDMI switch. Again, it worked flawlessly but I learned many functions to buttons that most people (SO) would not find intuitive but it worked fine for me. smile.gif

I'm currently using the URC RF20 with a Radio Shack base station which operates at 418MHz. The NextGen that I own is the 433MHz version so the URC RF20 can't communicate with it. Unfortunately, I can't answer your question regarding the URC RF20's compatibiity with your MRF-350 base station but this thread http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-master/thread.cgi?11747 leads me to believe it can. It sounds like it may just be a matter of setting it to the right channel to work with the URC RF20.

If you determine otherwise, you can buy the URC RF20/power blaster combo for less than $100 > http://www.amazon.com/URC-RFS200-PowerPak-MasterControl-PowerBlaster/dp/B000FL9E6U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349799914&sr=8-2&keywords=urc+rf20. I only bought the remote itself (for less than $45) as I initially got it for another application and didn't need the RF capability. I wasn't 100% satisfied with it in that application, i.e, replacing my URC MX-500 in my HT setup but once I realized I could pair it with the unused Radio Shack base station I had, I've been using it to control the components in my basement HT from the bedroom...works perfectly.

Vin
post #3 of 3 Old 10-17-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
The RF-20 / MRF-100 operate on 418MHz like the MRF-350, but, don't support 'channels'. The MRF-350 will only work with an RF-20 if the MRF-350 is set to channel 0 ( accept all commands ). Likewise, if you use an MRF-100 in your system, it will receive/send commands from your MX-850 no matter what channel the MX-850 is set to. If this is acceptable, then you can use an RF-20 in your system ( losing all addressability )

I think you're best bet is to get an MX-450. It supports channels. They often go for under $100 on eBay.

Jonathan
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page