Don't criticize Roomie Remote - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-13-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am generally pleased with the Roomie Remote, though it has a few issues. I posted an issue on their support forums and they didn't like my response and deleted it. I posted again asking why they didn't address my comments but they deleted that thread too. So much for good customer service. One way to insure there are no complaints is to ignore and delete them.

This was the original thread they deleted: http://bgp.nu/~tom/pub/Roomie-Delete.jpg
And here is the second: http://bgp.nu/~tom/pub/Roomie-delete2.jpg

Do you really think they couldn't have responded? You just can't question their UI?

Strike One, Roomie.

Tom

PS: Meant to post this in the Roomie Remote section, sorry...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-14-2012, 06:05 PM
DGF

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I read your original post and didn't interpret it as anything negative or even as an overt criticism - it read more like a personal observation and a implied suggestion for improvement (it was in the "Feature Request" section after all). From everything I've seen, the Roomie guys have always been very professional and accepted input in the spirit it was intended - this seems very out of character and I'm unsure why they appear to have been so sensitive to your posting. Taken at face value, this is disappointing.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-14-2012, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post

I read your original post and didn't interpret it as anything negative or even as an overt criticism - it read more like a personal observation and a implied suggestion for improvement (it was in the "Feature Request" section after all). From everything I've seen, the Roomie guys have always been very professional and accepted input in the spirit it was intended - this seems very out of character and I'm unsure why they appear to have been so sensitive to your posting. Taken at face value, this is disappointing.

Yes, and even more disappointing is that I DO really want my edits to be available on a remote that might not be the main remote for that activity. For example, I use the Roomie AppleTV original remote while watching AppleTV. But I do find that I might want to then turn on my Blu-Ray player (that has vudu and other streaming services). I should be able to select the Blu-Ray remote and turn on the blu-ray player. But I can't because Roomie says these are "emergency remotes". Huh, who ever heard of an emergency remote? How about just the regular ole remote (that I happened to modify)? I have other concrete examples, ie, wanting to use my Denon remote that I edited. How often have you wanted to use the remote to your receiver? Sorry, emergency remote only. eek.gif

Don't get me wrong, I like the thing. But they won't listen (or at least address) a real UI issue?
Tom
post #4 of 13 Old 10-15-2012, 07:23 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
They removed a couple of my posts as well or said they moved them to support whatever that means, because I was describing the bug they have when adding an activity and you try to add additional commands to the startup or stop macros and they won't show up if you hit the '+' sign. I was getting the same feeling that they were deleting posts describing legitimate issues regardless of how big or small the issues are. All they need to do is keep pulling posts and alienate the folks who like the thing and will tell others about it, because these same people will start asking what's up in other forums they can't control.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-15-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 62
A while back I purchased the two device version of Roomie Remote in order to try it out. To my surprise it would only work with IP devices and they wanted several more dollars for IR codes that I would need before I could do my testing. I cut my losses and said to heck with Roomie Remote. A least iRule allows you to test drive before you buy.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-15-2012, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

And to add insult to injury, they deleted my account on their support site! Nice customer service. mad.gif
post #7 of 13 Old 01-28-2013, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Bummer, I really was leaning toward getting Roomie for my new HT build. They have by FAR the slickest UI design, and the 2-way communication capabilities sound awesome, the built-in guide display, so many things. And they already have Z-wave support via Vera and are promising Somfy controls for my curtain masking system. I thought they would be my ideal HT control system: dimming house lights to off, dim stair lights to low, set up the source and amp, open the curtains to 16:9 for TV or 2.35:1 for movies, all in one iPad app. So far it seems like my best option short of paying $20-30K for a Crestron system, or $6-10K for a Control4 system. But not if they're going to be so un-user friendly. This does give one pause.

David
post #8 of 13 Old 01-28-2013, 07:16 PM
DGF

David,

If there are that many compelling aspects of Roomie for you, I'd say to go for it. I'm very happy with my decision to implement a Roomie-based whole-house & theater setup, and have personally found the support to be responsive and informative. As Tome discovered, there are obviously topics that touch a nerve and get handled in a "sub-optimal" manner, but overall I feel that the positives outweigh the negatives......just don't mention the UI biggrin.gif
post #9 of 13 Old 01-29-2013, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DGF,

Thanks for your advice! I was actually really excited when I stumbled onto Roomie Remote. In terms of an attractive, polished UI, it stands head and shoulders above every other app, including Control4's, which was the most polished (IMO) before Roomie. But after reading this post and the others who chimed in with their own deleted posts, I'm now worried that after committing hours of setup time and hundreds of dollars on the app, in-app purchases (options) and interface devices, I'll find myself with an unsupported, broken setup.

I still don't see any better alternatives that meet my esthetic standards, so I'll probably go with Roomie, but I'll go in with eyes a bit more wide open.

David
post #10 of 13 Old 01-29-2013, 08:19 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
David,

For a meager investment at least compared to your other options, I don't think you can go wrong by trying roomie first and if it is not what you expected you aren't out that much money. I will say I have had Control4 in my house 6 years now and am happy with it especially for lighting, but I switched my downstairs family room system to all Roomie instead of C4 and find it much more user friendly for the family and the ease of adding components puts the other solutions to shame by requiring and outside dealer/integrator. I have had no issues with Roomie support, and after you spent just a few hours with it, if it takes that long you won't need support anyway.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-09-2014, 09:57 AM

I could not recommend Roomie to anyone... Their customer service is absolutely atrocious. I returned a unit due to incompatibility and they charged my a $30 "restocking fee" because it was missing "a screw". They are absent when you have problems and rely on forum entries to answer customer questions. What a joke.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-09-2014, 02:45 PM
DGF

....but why do you think that returning an item that isn't in the same condition as you received it shouldn't have a restocking fee? It's the same for all online purchases. [You didn't appear to be refuting the fact that you sent it back with a missing screw] Presumably this was for a Golbal Cache' unit (as Roomie themselves don't make anything with screws)? - but $30 is a bit steep though!

Roomie support can definitely be a bit quirky - I haven't cracked the code on what they'll respond to, versus what they'll ignore. When they do engage it's usually pretty solid.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-22-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 62
They appear to be continuing this practice. Posts with any sort of criticism get deleted. Apparently if you need actual help you're not going to get it without being censored.

I like the idea of the product, but not when it comes with such heavy-handed nonsense.

E-mail exchanges with support are 'interesting'. Which is a shame, really, because the product really does seem to have a useful set of features. Unlocking how those features work is non-trivial and documentation seems to be non-existent. I've dealt with more than my fair share of undocumented products. Open support forums often go a long way toward making up for that. But combine lack of documentation, censored forums AND hostile e-mail exchanges from support? That doesn't bode well.

Dealing with customers has it's issues, to be sure. I'm not sure I like the way things are going thus far.

What's the deal there? Is it a one-man-operation or something?
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Irule