Irule beginner - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-25-2012, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just decided to use irule with my iPad/iPhone for my living room as well as the theater I am building.

While I'm not a complete idiot, I'm not grasping this quite as fast as I expected. Was hoping for some beginner tips to get moving.

I was going to work in my living room to get started. Here I have a 60" LED Samsung tv, Comcast cable box, Xbox 360, ps3, and sonos. An itach will be ordered soon, but I was hoping to get something working before to fully sell the idea to my wife.

Looking on tips on what to start with, if any are able to be started before I get the itach?

Is there a detailed guide somewhere from the beginning? Everything I've found was either too vague, or very advanced. Any helpful hints or links would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Start with the tutorial videos at irule's site:

http://iruleathome.com/how-to-videos/how-to-videos

It looks like the only device you have that can be controlled without a global cache gateway is your sonos box. So I would start there.

Import some buttons you like in the builder. Import the sonos device. Create a sonos panel and page. Place the buttons on the page. Drag the commands to the buttons. Save and sync your panels with the irule app on your ipad/ipod. Define a HTTP gateway in the app. Set the ip address and port of your sonos box. Make sure you have the sonos box set with a static IP address. Add the sonos device to the gateway.

At that point your Sonos page should control your Sonos.

Hope that helps. Feel free to post in the main irule thread, lots of people there are very helpful.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #3 of 5 Old 10-27-2012, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also a beginner w/ irule and a little intimidated to start browsing through the 700+ pages in the irule thread!

I was wondering if someone can answer if (and how) irule controls components using iPhone/iPad. I have a Panasonic tv in my theater room and all components in a 2nd room (onkyo receiver, oppo, dish, roku) and an epson projector behind the seating area. I also have an ir motorized screen and Lutron light control.

Currently I use a ir repeater system for the components in the 2nd room. I assume irule has an ir attachment, but are the better options?

Thanks!
post #4 of 5 Old 10-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Thomas View Post

Also a beginner w/ irule and a little intimidated to start browsing through the 700+ pages in the irule thread!
I was wondering if someone can answer if (and how) irule controls components using iPhone/iPad. I have a Panasonic tv in my theater room and all components in a 2nd room (onkyo receiver, oppo, dish, roku) and an epson projector behind the seating area. I also have an ir motorized screen and Lutron light control.
Currently I use a ir repeater system for the components in the 2nd room. I assume irule has an ir attachment, but are the better options?
Thanks!

iRule connects wirelessly to your home wi-fi network. It can control components via http commands that accept IP control, such as Directv boxes, many newer AV receivers, PCs, etc. For IR control a piece of hardware is required. Global Cache is the manufacturer and iRule sells their equipment at a competitive price though other retailers off them as well. The Itac ip2ir or wifi2ir would be what you need. Go with the former if you have the ability to plug it in to your network where you wish to place it and the later if only wifi connection is available. The itach converts the HTTP signals received from your ipod sent by irule to an IR signal that can control your equipment. It uses IR buds or a blaster. It can also be configured to work with some IR distribution blocks but I have no experience with that.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #5 of 5 Old 10-29-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
iRule gives a free trial period. I believe the Samsung LED will work via IP and you can download a free app to do this with an Ipad. This might be a good demo to show what can be done with an iPad and then do the rest later. I would love to elimate the itach if I could. I have my light switches (Insteon), Denon AVR, and JVC projector working over IP. My Panasonic Blu-Ray player works over IP but iRule doesn't support it yet. Once that is setup my older Samsung LCD TV will all that will be left that uses IR.
Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page