AVS Forum banner

iRule and GC-100-12

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  SeldomSeen31 
#1 ·
I am hoping you guys can help me a little with the iRule implementation in my HT setup. I have been looking for a tablet based control that my wife can use to easily power my HT via macros. Here is what I have currently:

HT with lots of equipment that as you all know needs to be turned on, set for varying inputs and outputs etc. I have a programmable remote that I have been using for years, but the WAF is questionable since any interruption of the macro IR commands can really mess things up and make the HT unusable for my wife to use when I'm not around....that led me to discover iRule.

I currently use an IR extender to relay all commands to my rack which is in the back of the HT. The system works great for me since I take precautions to ensure the signal is not interrupted when sending macro commands.

I would ideally like to keep the IR extender in use in case I ever wish to use an individual remote or use the programmable remote for some reason. As I understand it, I could use the GC-100-12 with the IR blaster to achieve this goal.

Since I am not sure I will like iRule, I wanted to save money by buying a used GC-100-12. I have obtained one, but it supposedly has firmware 2.0.8-12r2. I know I can send the unit in and have it updated if necessary for a modest fee.

So, here are a few questions:

1. Will my plan to keep the IR extender in the loop work with the GC-100-12?

2. Will this firmware support the IR blaster?

3. If not, can I just use an IR emitter next to the IR extender and get the same effect?

4. Can the GC-100-12 be set up to send all the commands out via a single port in order to achieve this?

5. Will the GC-100-12 work with iRule if reset to factory settings, or are there particular settings I need to make?

I know these are quite a few newbie questions regarding this hardware and would greatly appreciate your help. I am trying to research this as fast as I can but hope you guys can save me a lot of time.

Thank you,

Rudy81

BTW, my repeater is a Hot Link XL by Microsmith.

See less See more
#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy81  /t/1436003/irule-and-gc-100-12#post_22532391

So, here are a few questions:

1. Will my plan to keep the IR extender in the loop work with the GC-100-12?

2. Will this firmware support the IR blaster?

3. If not, can I just use an IR emitter next to the IR extender and get the same effect?

4. Can the GC-100-12 be set up to send all the commands out via a single port in order to achieve this?

5. Will the GC-100-12 work with iRule if reset to factory settings, or are there particular settings I need to make?

Hi Rudy - maybe I can hit a few of your Qs:

1. Not sure if I understand what you're asking - you're wanting to keep the IR blaster as a "plan B" but it will be separate from the iRule/GC-100 setup? If so, then that'll work fine - just as long as there's sufficient room for the device's IR receiving 'eye' to receive the two IR signals (I have this on a couple of pieces of my own gear - works great). If you're talking about connecting the IR extender to the GC-100 then I don't think you're in luck, unless your existing remote signal can somehow access the IP world (which makes me think you were talking about the first scenario).

2. Not sure! The issue with GC firmware versions seems to be with the controlling app, versus the hardware hanging off the GC - same end result though. I also have a GC-100 that I use with Roomie - I got Global Cache to do the firmware update (which they performed really quickly) - prior to the update, the hardware all worked okay, but Roomie couldn't control the GC properly. I haven't looked, but there's a good chance that the iRule website stipulates the required firmware version.

3. See answer to Q1 - coexisting works fine.

4. Yes - With iRule and Roomie you can route all the commands, for all devices, to a single port - the blaster/emitter sprays everything out at the other end, but only devices that can understand thespecific IR command string will respond.

5. Not sure on this one - I would definitely reset the GC-100 back to factory defaults just to eliminate anything strange that may be lurking there from a previous owner (gven the firmware version, I assume it's a pre-owned unit). With IR, there aren't too many unique settings - things usually work without having to dink around too much......

Not sure if any of that helps at all, but it may get you a little further along.

Dave

#3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I have spent all afternoon learning the iRule builder and find it rather cumbersome. Not the best piece of software to build the GUI.

Anyway, My goal is to have the GC-100 send all the commands via an IR blaster to my IR extender. This way, if I ever need to use an individual remote, I can just point it to the IR extender and it will work. That is a backup for potential issues in the future. I am 99.9% sure the latest Global hardware can do this. However, the older firmware for the GC-100 cannot use a port as a blaster according to the release notes on the Global site. So, my options will be to send the units in for an update.

My current plan is to first see if a simple IR emitter attached to the IR extender has enough juice to pass the signal to the extender, which will send the signal to all the units.

I have an Integra DHC 9.9, Panasonic AE-4000 pj, Oppo BD player and few other misc. items. IIRC some of those units can also use RS-232 which should be well matched to the GC-100. I just started looking into this, so the learning curve is steep.

I hope I'm not throwing money down a hole, so want to test things out during the trial period.

Heck, it took me hours just to figure out that my Firefox browser was not showing me part of the iRule builder. I have the latest Firefox on Win7 and for some reason, it is not a smooth interface. I tried IE, but that doesn't work with my version of that browser.

#4 ·
Wanted to update this thread now that I know the answers since I just jumped in and tried it. This firmware works just fine with iRule for both IR and RS-232. Of course, you can't use an IR blaster, but I found that just an IR emitter placed next to my IR repeater works like a champ.

Overall a simple implementation once I figured out how iRule works and could iBuilder effectively.

#5 ·
Rudy81, I have a GC-100-12 with the exact same firmware (2.0.8) that I am trying to connect to my network. I am trying to get an IR flasher working with the unit but I cannot get iRule to talk to the GC. I can connect with iTest and send a test signal and the IR indication light on the unit flashes. iRule on my tablet cannot find the GC by looking for it, I have to put in the IP manually etc pre iRule's website tutorial. I have no problems at all connecting to the GC with any browser on my network, I have also set the GC's IP outside of the DHCP addresses of my router, but when I go into the software on my tablet, I cannot get anything out of the GC when I press any buttons. Is there something additional you set up on your Router to allow them to talk? is there any port forwarding that needs to be setup? Thanks for any info.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratman2  /t/1436003/irule-and-gc-100-12#post_22720696

Rudy81, I have a GC-100-12 with the exact same firmware (2.0.8) that I am trying to connect to my network. I am trying to get an IR flasher working with the unit but I cannot get iRule to talk to the GC. I can connect with iTest and send a test signal and the IR indication light on the unit flashes. iRule on my tablet cannot find the GC by looking for it, I have to put in the IP manually etc pre iRule's website tutorial. I have no problems at all connecting to the GC with any browser on my network, I have also set the GC's IP outside of the DHCP addresses of my router, but when I go into the software on my tablet, I cannot get anything out of the GC when I press any buttons. Is there something additional you set up on your Router to allow them to talk? is there any port forwarding that needs to be setup? Thanks for any info.

On the gc-100-12 gateway you created, did you assign devices to the channels? For each channel, 6 IR channels, 2 Serial and the relays you need to tell the Irule app what is plugged in where. If you have your TV plugged in to IR port 1, then assign the TVs commands in the iRule app to that port. Then test again.

If you have already done that, then I am not sure what is going on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.