Wifi remote vs. URC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-06-2012, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All -

I am looking for a relatively simple remote control solution for 2 separate spaces. 2 different remotes would be fine.

1 space is a "baement sports bar" with 5 TVs, 5 different direct TV boxes. 1 receiver and only interested in playing sound on a single TV of course (it could be just the center tv and is probably easiest that way).

2nd space is typical home theater projection setup with equipment in central location about 30' away.

I would prefer wifi (android) apps - direct tv app works ok, not sure if ethernet port on A/V receiver (haven't purchased yet) allows any network control, same on TVs (planning on using cheap Panasonic 50" plasma for 4 TVs and maybe 65" for center (Class 1080p PDP 600Hz Sub-field Drive VIERA® Plasma HDTV TC-50PU54). No idea whether I can control this using some sort of android app. Other video sources I would use like Boxee have a wifi app, not sure about Xbox stuff for kids.

I have used a URC MX-810 for a few years that I programmed myself, that's about the extent of my programming capabilities. I understand URC has gone away from this and I need to buy off Amazon or Ebay which is fine with me since I'm used to the product.

I would prefer not to have a professional program it unless he's going to let me watch and leave the software with him.
URC seems easiest since I know it but it also seems like that is old technology and I'd rather use/learn stuff that is more future proof. Not sure Wifi apps are fully there but I don't know why they aren't, seems like every A/V device is starting to come with an ethernet or wifi port on it.

Logitech makes a harmony link that uses IR blaster, but not sure how reliable this is, then again, I'm guessing that the RF URC unit I would use would just be the same thing anyway

Any suggestions?

Thank you for your time,

Conrad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-06-2012, 02:42 PM
DGF

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad51 View Post

All -
I am looking for a relatively remote control solution ..........
Put the controller in an adjacent room!biggrin.gif

.....but seriously....have you checked out the offerings from app companies like Roomie, iRule, etc? I'm an IOS user, but it looks like the Android variants are all very solid.

This type of approach requires additional hardware (typically one of the Global Cache' units), but you get a hugely flexible interface that seems like it would fit your requirements. Both apps are designed for DIY, with iRule giving more customization options, but with a longer learning curve.

Once you decide if this is a viable option, there are a lot of people on the forum that can help with any questions you may have.

Anyway, at least somewhere to start looking!
post #3 of 3 Old 11-06-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Not sure I'd want my $500 iPad floating around in a sports bar environment. Harmony would be a nightmare jumping among 5 TVs due to the activity model. Honestly, I'd stick with URC in both cases and also make use of DirecTV remotes. A single remote is still going to be a pain switching among 5 TVs. Also if they are all the same brand, things get even more interesting.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page