iRule or Roomie vs Touchsquid - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-12-2012, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Until recently, I've been using a Philips Pronto to control my home theater. Unfortunately it's just about dead and I'm looking to replace it. Recently I've upgrade my system to include:

Sony XBR-65HX950 HDTV
Denon AVR-2113CI Reciever
Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player

I already have an iPad and Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 tablet available to use as a remote. I was thinking about something like iRule or Roomie for the iPad or Touchsquid for the tablet. From what I've seen, I really like the flexibility of iRule, but would need additional hardware to convert back to IR. If I understand correctly, Roomie would control these over IP and I would only need additional hardware for the set top box. On the other hand, the Samsung Galaxy has a built in IR Blaster so if I use Touchsquid, I would not need any additional hardware. Not sure it matters because they're not used as often, but the rest of the equipment is:

Popcorn Hour A-110 Media Server
XBox 360

I would be really interested in hearing from anybody that has done a comparison between these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-13-2012, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
My setup is fairly similar to yours, with the exception of a Pioneer 1222k in place of the Denon. I did a comparison of irule on the ipad and TS on my Nexus 7, both using the Global Cache IP2IR. I ended up going with "The Squid" pro version. I just liked the ease of setup and their customer support is top notch. Even though you'd require something like the Ip2ir to use irule, I'd recommend demoing both products without it and see which suits you better from a programming perspective. If you find you like irule better, the cost of the interface device isn't so much that it outweighs the benefit of having something that works for you. In addition, you might like not having to depend on line of sight for your remote and that could also justify the cost. For a fair comparison, I'd use the pro version of TS. They'll give you a refund within two weeks if you don't like it. I had limited success with the demo version and also you gain macros with the pro version. Without the macros, I don't think I'd care much for TS.

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #3 of 16 Old 11-13-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks adrman. I've been playing with the 2 week trial of iRule. I really like the flexibility it gives you.Unfortunately, i haven't been able to get it to work with my system even though both the TV & the blu ray player have IP control. Not sure if it's somethin I just haven't figured out yet or I really requires something like the Global Cache IP2IR. The Squid Pro looks good too, but since they don't have a demo package, I thought I would make my decision on the iRule before downloading the Squid. I agree that macros are key.
post #4 of 16 Old 11-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

When I emailed squids customer support asking about a demo of the pro, they said they'd refund the purchase price within two weeks if I didn't like it.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-15-2012, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

I just reread your reply in post 4. By ip control on the display and blu-ray player, are you referring to the ability to control them via Sony's Media Remote app? If so, I I believe the app uses proprietary codes and/or control channel. I'm able to use it on my blu-ray (same model as yours) and my hx850. However, irule (or touchsquid) wouldn't have access the devices in the same manner. That's why you would need something like the IP2IR to convert irule's commands to a standard ir signal that device's sensor can pick up.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-15-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrman View Post

I just reread your reply in post 4. By ip control on the display and blu-ray player, are you referring to the ability to control them via Sony's Media Remote app? If so, I I believe the app uses proprietary codes and/or control channel. I'm able to use it on my blu-ray (same model as yours) and my hx850. However, irule (or touchsquid) wouldn't have access the devices in the same manner. That's why you would need something like the IP2IR to convert irule's commands to a standard ir signal that device's sensor can pick up.

Ok. Now I get it. I assumed that the IP codes were readily availble similar to IR codes. I've used the Sony Media Remote app and thought if they were available in a free app surely iRule or Touchsquid would have them also. I this point I think I'm leaning toward the Touchsquid app runnung on the Samsung tablet.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-15-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
The IP codes for your devices are readily available and are in the iRule and Roomie Remote databases. Since you already own both an iPad and the Nexus I would probably lean towards iRule since it can run equally as well on iOS and Android. The iRule Builder Basic lets you run on 3 devices (Pro=5) and you can even add more beyond that and I think the best set-up is to have the remote on every device in your home. If your house is anything like mine the tablets/phones/ipods never actually stay where they're supposed to.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 Old 11-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoteshoppe View Post

The IP codes for your devices are readily available and are in the iRule and Roomie Remote databases. Since you already own both an iPad and the Nexus I would probably lean towards iRule since it can run equally as well on iOS and Android. The iRule Builder Basic lets you run on 3 devices (Pro=5) and you can even add more beyond that and I think the best set-up is to have the remote on every device in your home. If your house is anything like mine the tablets/phones/ipods never actually stay where they're supposed to.

If what remoteshoppe says is the case, then I've misinformed you. Apologies. I also attempted direct ip control of my devices without success when I trialed irule, so I assumed that Sony's app was proprietary.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-15-2012, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrman View Post

If what remoteshoppe says is the case, then I've misinformed you. Apologies. I also attempted direct ip control of my devices without success when I trialed irule, so I assumed that Sony's app was proprietary.

No problem. I managed to get the direct IP control of the Denon receiver working. Still haven't figured out the Sony TV yet. I don't think I have the port set correctly for the gateway.
post #10 of 16 Old 11-15-2012, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoteshoppe View Post

Thanks remoteshoppe. Now that I've started to get a better understanding of how iRule works, I'm really starting to like it.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-19-2013, 07:43 AM

Liked: 13
iRule is the most flexible.

Roomie is sort of like a Harmony remote for IOS, it's not very flexible or configurable, but easy to set up / use for basic control tasks of equipment.
Touchsquid even less configurable, but if all you need is an IR remote and have a rather basic AV setup, not bad.

As for DemoPad vs. iRule, here are a few of the primary differences:
- iRule is cloud-based and uses a web-based configuration tool (iRule Builder), so there is no software to install or files to lose, and you can use a Mac, Windows machine, Linux, etc. DemoPad design software requires a PC (or PC emulator).

- iRule includes a large graphics library in three different themes; DemoPad's $40 offering includes basic graphics, so you'll probably want the Graphics Pack for another $30.

- iRule is developed for iOS and Android; DemoPad is iOS-only. There are some great Android devices that are cheap enough to be deployed as a dedicated remote. The Google Nexus 7 comes to mind. If you need remotes in several rooms, do you really want to pop $500 for an ipad / ipad mini in each room that is used solely as a system remote? Or, how about less than $100 for a decent Android tablet? Having both platform options with iRule is a huge bonus, regardless of what the Demopad folks will tell you.

- iRule Pro is $100; DemoPad w/Pro Graphics set is $70 (with Pro graphics)

- iRule has iTunes Module and the soon-to-be-released Sonos Module. These are the first of many more modules. Demopad does not have preconfigured modules.

- Gestures. Like being able to use your remote without looking? With iRule, you can define a page/panel in the remote where the user can swipe up and down to turn the volume up and down, left and right to fast-forward and rewind, and tap to play/pause toggle. No gestures in Demopad

- Free trial period of the iRule builder app.

- iRule is developed in the US; DemoPad is from the UK

A/V Gear: Elite 70" display, Theta CBIIIHD processor, Theta Intrepid amplifier, Oppo 95 BD, BG Radia LA800 mains, BG Radia CC400 center, four BG Radia R18i surrounds, dual 18" Bag End Infrasubs, two Fuhrman P1800PF AVRs, Synergistic Silver Reference active cables & interconnects. 

post #12 of 16 Old 11-14-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy-r View Post

No problem. I managed to get the direct IP control of the Denon receiver working. Still haven't figured out the Sony TV yet. I don't think I have the port set correctly for the gateway.

Oops.  Just realized this thread's a year old. Sorry...    

I use to iRule - and have a similar TV (xbr-65x850... the speakerless version of yours).  I've been working with iRule support over the past several days and have most of the TV commands working (check out the 'Sony IP Control 2013 Models' device).  Everything but Power and discrete input selection work.  That said, you can wake the tv on LAN and you can use input toggle.  You just can't power the tv off or select an input by number automatically.  I suspect that they'll get it working soon.   Also, make sure you're using an HTTP gateway (not Network) on port 80, POST. 

post #13 of 16 Old 02-01-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breedlovegtr View Post

Oops.  Just realized this thread's a year old. Sorry...    

I use to iRule - and have a similar TV (xbr-65x850... the speakerless version of yours).  I've been working with iRule support over the past several days and have most of the TV commands working (check out the 'Sony IP Control 2013 Models' device).  Everything but Power and discrete input selection work.  That said, you can wake the tv on LAN and you can use input toggle.  You just can't power the tv off or select an input by number automatically.  I suspect that they'll get it working soon.   Also, make sure you're using an HTTP gateway (not Network) on port 80, POST. 

I would be very curious if they ever get this working. IP control of TVs has been an issue as they all seem shut down their NIC when in standby and don't respond to wake on LAN requests is my understanding.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-09-2014, 08:57 AM

Liked: 16
I could not recommend Roomie to anyone... Their customer service is absolutely atrocious. I returned a unit due to incompatibility and they charged my a $30 "restocking fee" because it was missing "a screw". They are absent when you have problems and rely on forum entries to answer customer questions. What a joke.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-13-2014, 05:52 AM

I would second this and take it even farther in my case. After 2 plus years as a roomie customer, I am looking to switch as well...but my situation is much more sinister...

I was looking for some troubleshooting help when it came to a roomie issue I was having. Instead of getting help, I got threatened, a few times... I blew it off and hired an attorney to sue roomieremote... well, thats when things got really crazy.

At first, my IP was blocked by roomie so that I could not use their program anymore (even though I paid for literally every service they had) because the ability to find the codes for the devices was blocked by them....now my remotes display devices under "Devices Installed" as 0 and "missing devices" is every device I try to set up....but it gets crazier...

my email was hacked, then my home servers were hacked and cleared out....

[personal info removed by AVS Moderator]

who also the owner of Roomieremote....when I gave this information to my attorney that was filing the complaint, he about had a heart attack and said that this guy just opened himself up to a HUGE lawsuit as well as numerous laws that were broken which we are trying to get the authorities to investigate....

So, if you want to expose your personal info to this guy, proceed with caution and don't piss him off, because he is obviously extremely intelligent and can get to in more ways then one...

Obviously after this crazy set of circumstances, I would warn anyone about roomieremote and am looking for alternatives to their product (which is how I found this thread)....
post #16 of 16 Old 04-13-2014, 07:18 AM

wow....insane if true
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page