OTA, remotes, and switching hdmi - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-18-2012, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Mitsubishi 46148 LCD and several hdmi components hooked up through a pioneer AVR: DVD, AppleTV and the tv of course. However, the OTA connection is made through the TV, video through hdmi and audio through digital audio cable (orange RCA jack style, single connector). I am now having to use 4 remotes to control this stuff, yikes. My wife is ready to kill. My questions are these...

- can I buy a "dongle" to convert OTA digital coax to hdmi, so the avr can control all components without having to go to the TV remote to switch inputs?

- is the best course to buy a universal remote, and if so, can the URC combine multiple sources into one action so that only one remote is needed? So in choosing the OTA, it would choose the right setting on the TV AND the AVR, and when switched to the DVD, it would do the same.

Update, after playing with the remotes more, I now have the AVR controlling the DVD and the ATV, GOOD NEWS! However, I still cannot get the AVR remote to control the TV and the OTA input. Of course, the AVR does partially control the TV, but having the video (HDMI) split from the audio (digital audio) requires that the TV initiate the input switching. This is what I want to automate into one remote, now the Pioneer AVR remote..

Any help on these questions would be appreciated. Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-18-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Just about any universal remote will do all your input switching automatically with a single button press. Harmony will be the easiest to program and can be had for $20 and up depending on features. TigerDirect has an open box 600 for $35. A $15 RCA RCRP05B will also do everything, but requires more effort and a bit of research to program.
Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page