RF signal duplicator - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-19-2012, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have DirecTV 1 HD DVR (HR23) and 3 DirecTV HD receivers in my garage (basement level).

The HR23 has a built-in RF antenna and each of the other 3 receivers have an external RF antenna attached so that I can use them with my DirecTV RC-65RBX Universal RF remotes throughout the house.

We are having a problem with the RF signal on my first and second floors. I was told by a DirecTV Case Manager that I will need a 4-channel RF signal amplifier (repeater, duplicator, extender or whatever you want to call it) in order to change the channels on my HD25 and HR23 receivers without any problems from my first and second floors, using the RF remotes.

Currently, I can only change the channels from my 1st floor and the signal is very weak; sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I was told that there are wireless devices that I could plug into an electrical outlet somewhere between or on my first floor, in order to get the RF signal transmitted to the second floor. I tried a google search but don't really understand what I'm looking for. What I have seen is IR to RF to IR extenders but I have not seen anything that is strictly for RF signals.

I do know that I need something that is NOT line of sight.

Can you suggest any devices that would work for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-19-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
There is no such thing as an RF repeater for DirecTV. If your DVRs or receivers have an external RF antenna, you can extend those with a long piece of coax. Otherwise, you'll have to switch to IR and get any number of IR over coax or HDMI solutions. HERE are a few DIY options and an explanation of how it works. I suppose you could build your own RF repeater, but you would have to have a very good understanding of radio electronics and would technically need an FCC license depending on the power.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-19-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
I suppose you could build your own RF repeater, but you would have to have a very good understanding of radio electronics and would technically need an FCC license depending on the power.

...and some way of amplifying the signal you receive and retransmitting it without creating an oscillator...in other words, this device doesn't exist.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-19-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

All of the receivers are in the same location, so can I use the IR? I thought I couldn't.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-19-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

The DirecTV tech said he has a similar setup at his house and uses RF repeaters. But the model he was thinking about for me is discontinued. Hard to believe that another company doesn't have a similar product on the market.

No way can I "build" something myself. I know nothing about electronics.

Thanks for your help.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-19-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
I don't doubt your installer, but I think he's using confusing terminology. A strictly RF repeater for DirecTV has never existed. IR repeaters/extenders exist, and use RF from the IR receiver to the IR blaster. That may be why he said RF. Your DirecTV boxes will have to be in IR mode for any such system to work.

There is no problem controlling multiple DirecTV receivers in one location via IR. Each DirecTV DVR/receiver can have any one of 8 unique addresses so there is no interference.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page