Charter OCAP-4 remote and samsung HW-E450 soundbar - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-24-2012, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. I just got a Crystal Surround Air Track [model HW-E450] soundbar for a great Black Friday price and would really like to control the volume for this thing from my Charter remote. Using 2 remotes all the time is a real issue. I am fine with just having the soundbar's volume controlled with the charter remote, I don't mind if the all options don't work as long as volume does. I looked at remote's manual and can't find any codes that work using the "aux" button to program it, but I am not entirely sure I am even doing that right. Do I need to do something first so the charter remote knows the soundbar is connected? I have it connected to my tv using the supplied audio cables since that is the only way I could get it to work, that is a whole other issue that I have posted in the forum for the HW-E450 soundbar. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-24-2012, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The Samsung Sound Bar HW-C450 uses the Samsung IR protocol, device 48.15. It is very likely that your sound bar uses the same protocol. However, the OCAP-4 remote can't send these signals. It is capable of sending the Samsung IR protocol, but it doesn't have a setup code for device 48.15.

The OCAP-4 remote is made by UEI. I don't know of any of their cheap remotes that can control the Samsung Sound Bar, but the UEI setup code is Audio 2609. Of course, you can use a JP1.3 interface cable to add the capability to your remote. Cost is about $20 for the USB to RS232 interface, and 15 minutes to change the connector on the cable from 6 pins in one row to 2 rows of 3. That will match the 6 pin connector in the battery compartment.
kbennett65 likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-24-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
3FG, this my interest you, won't help the OP though, newer Directv receivers can send upgrade codes to x-series UEI made directv remotes, see this thread where code 32609 for the samsung soundbar was uploaded to the remote, where it wasn't there before:

http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/forums/displaypost?postID=11097444#e11097444&channelID=1&portalPageId=1002

go to page two, post 37. Im tivoburkee in that thread.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-24-2012, 01:16 PM

That's interesting. I wonder if those upgrades are already present in the DirecTV receiver, or if they come from the satellite as you program the remote?
post #5 of 9 Old 11-24-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you 3FG. I will attempt the audio set up code but don't expect any success. Charter is well known to not play nice with others. I can't find any universal remote that will incorporate all the functions of the Charter remote, and the charter remote won't operate anything but an RCA tv, Toshiba DVD player and a Pioneer receiver. I guess if I wanted this to work I should have bought a Pioneer soundbar [if they even make them!]. I am not brave enough to start fiddling with the remote's hardware. I am afraid Charter will charge me an arm and a leg if I screw it up and they need to replace it, so I guess I will learn to live with the 2 remote system.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-24-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I'm sure they're in the receiver, probably there since an upgrade to menu was loaded. But I won't be in any further upgrades codes since I had to give up Directv this week do to a move. No LOS from my apartment, been with them for 16 yeasrs. frown.gif
post #7 of 9 Old 11-24-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbennett65 View Post

I can't find any universal remote that will incorporate all the functions of the Charter remote, and the charter remote won't operate anything but an RCA tv, Toshiba DVD player and a Pioneer receiver. I guess if I wanted this to work I should have bought a Pioneer soundbar [if they even make them!]. I am not brave enough to start fiddling with the remote's hardware. I am afraid Charter will charge me an arm and a leg if I screw it up and they need to replace it, so I guess I will learn to live with the 2 remote system.
Um.... The OCAP-4 remote support hundreds of various brands and devices. It comes pre-programmed to work with the units you mention, but there are a ton of setup codes available to you. Just not for the Samsung Sound Bar.

Also, The RCA RCRP05B, and the Atlas series of Cable remote have all of the capabilities of the Charter remote and more. But they can't control your sound bar either.

Using JP1 software doesn't do anything to the remotes hardware. And, cable companies want your business, and don't hassle people over remotes which look fine but don't work.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-27-2012, 06:35 AM

Liked: 11
I have the exact same situation but was unable to find any codes for the remote. However, I wired things up differently, and now I can control the volume of the soundbar when I adjust volume of the cable box.

I wired up the soundbar with a digital optical audio cable, and back to TV with an HDMI cable (HDMI out on soundbar to TV).

I've turned off the TV's speakers, the soundbar comes on automatically with the TV and cable box. I set the volume at a mid level on the soundbar using it's remote, and now adjust to preferred level as I watch TV using the Atlas Cable remote.
Anniegirl136 likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-12-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreen32 View Post

I have the exact same situation but was unable to find any codes for the remote. However, I wired things up differently, and now I can control the volume of the soundbar when I adjust volume of the cable box.

I wired up the soundbar with a digital optical audio cable, and back to TV with an HDMI cable (HDMI out on soundbar to TV).

I've turned off the TV's speakers, the soundbar comes on automatically with the TV and cable box. I set the volume at a mid level on the soundbar using it's remote, and now adjust to preferred level as I watch TV using the Atlas Cable remote.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and resolution....been working to get our soundbar working for almost two days now! I finally got sound working and have been beating my head trying to get the remote situation figured out. Your post finally got me squared away...thank you!!!
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Samsung Hw E450 Wireless Airtrack Soundbar
Gear in this thread - E450 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page